Four in a Bed - owner own goals

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Normandie

Four in a Bed - owner own goals

Post by Normandie »

Watching 4 in a Bed on Channel 4 the other evening, featured property was a rather lovely mill and the featured owner was a rather less lovely ex-boxing promoter, probably in his late 50s / early 60s who appeared to still be stuck in the 1960s when it might have been okay to chat about having a strictly men only clubroom in his home where - and this is what he said - the biatches were sent in to clean on Tuesdays and Thursdays (I think it was). Biatches being the apparently 'acceptable for broadcast' mispronunciation of bitches - women.

This was probably the worst of a variety of derogatory remarks about women - also he does a lighter breakfast for the little ladies who can't cope with a full on Full English. Ghastly man who probably thinks he's coming across as a right lad whereas in fact...

Now okay, this 'host' was in an artificial situation on a tv show but if you had someone like this at breakfast whose comments were making other guests uncomfortable (and the other participants on the show are clearly uncomfortable) how would you deal with it?

Would you ignore it?
Have a quiet word and suggest that he tones down his opinions?
Ask him to leave?

I couldn't ignore it and on my own behalf - quite apart from the comfort of other guests - I could not appear to tacitly condone his beliefs... I think I'd terminate his stay and refund his money. Extreme measure perhaps but... and if I were a guest forced to listen to sexist remarks - or other -ist remarks - I might well leave myself.

What would you do? How would you (or have you) dealt with an openly bigotted host or guest?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I suspect he probably doesn't get out much under normal circumstances so no need to fear him specifically! Otherwise I can't answer you as I'm not in the business, but I watched several old episodes last week whilst unwell. So many participants shoot themselves in the foot in this programme, I'm unclear why the adage any publicity is good publicity fits in this instance!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Do not upset him before we left or he could spit in your food or worse.
Think of something to say on the way out which would make us feel better but he more than likely not understand.
Write a review on TA & Google plus... or two :)
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

I do like this show. Why anyone would want to be on it is a mystery. The producers obviously mix the hosts for max hostility.

All the guests search their room until they find a pubic hair before they are happy. I would take one look at some of the hosts and run a mile.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
pete

Post by pete »

its not so long ago that we were served 'male and female' breakfasts in a bb in derbyshire, we were a group of 3 couples and I remember it not going down well at all.

and I do think that there are some stoogies on that show, did you ever see the french one with the cheddar cheese man ?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

On a couple of occasions here we've had to deal with bigots, and it's not pleasant.

Once was when we had some unpleasant racist remarks from one couple, at the dinner table with us and one other couple, the other was when we had a week with a couple of - um - rather orange Irish in one suite, and a pair of radical gay psychologists in another :roll: . The second resolved itself after the first breakfast by each giving the other a wide berth (which made for a horrible week!). The first was more difficult because I simply can't let racist (or anything-ist) remarks go unchallenged, even if the person is paying to stay and eat with me ... and so I had to say my bit. The other couple then took up the baton and after some tricky minutes the moment passed.

We live in an area which has a large population of hippyish néo-rurales, living in yurts and tipis up in the mountains. On Saturdays lots of them come and sell their produce at our local market, and quite often that provokes disparaging comments from guests, who describe them as layabouts or worse. I rather enjoy that, because I can then take great delight in telling them that not so many years ago I lived in a tipi in a community in Wales. I just love watching the wind slowly leave their sails :lol:
Last edited by French Cricket on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I just searched this weeks show but at the moment only episode 3 is on there, not one and two. In time I'm sure they'll reappear and I shall try and remember to watch!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

It's series 8, episode 57 - Allscott Mill, Telford - that provoked my "what would I do if..." moment. I had a breakfast a few years ago where we had a group of 4 travelling together who were a bit right of Ghengis Kahn and a couple who were liberally labour.

All were very pleasant people but as the group of 4 made their feelings known about a variety of things such as immigration to the UK :roll:, the couple were increasingly uncomfortable and I felt I couldn't leave them too it as I needed to keep trying to change the subject. It was a stressful 30 minutes. Fortunately the couple were leaving that morning so I didn't have to deal with it directly but one day I may have to.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/four ... /58915-027

The bitches / biatches remark is at dinner.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

French Cricket
Fancy you living in tepee valley. This is only a few miles away from where I live, in Ammanford area.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Ah ... you know it :lol: . Yep, a while at tipi valley, and another while moving around between Cardigan and Newcastle Emlyn with the old Prana crowd, if you know them ... Ah, those woodsmoke smelling days 8) And a lovely area.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Not just woodsmoke from what I hear.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Ah, well, you should visit, cyc - then you'd find out for yourself ...