Moving from windows PC to Apple mac

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Moving from windows PC to Apple mac

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

I have finally decided after diliberating for sometime to move from a windows based pc to an apple I mac
So to complete this transition I am also looking at my booking systems , perchase orders , invoicing and account analysis however I do have a good tax accountant but I have to generally submit most of the information to him first
I only have 4 apartments which I manage myself ( with the help of the O/H ) and we are lucky to live in site
As you may have gathered by my question I am not the best with IT systems
So I am now looking for help in finding suitable packages to make my life at bit easier especially with time management
And as I relatively new to Apple (I mac) systems even though I have recently acquired an I pad for when I am away from the house ,so to my decision to move to an I Mac for the home office
And also my original windows PC was showing its age and as we are relying more and more on the Internet for our bookings this is something that could not be delayed

So I am putting the question out to my fellow property owners who perhaps are more used to working successfully with Apple Mac systems or could recommend anything to help make my transition painless
:roll
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Best decision you ever made! I've had the same Mac for 7 years now and it's still perfect, that's not possible with PCs. :D

So, to your question, I only have 1 house to deal with so I manage with just spreadsheets in Numbers but most people with multiple properties are raving about PIMS which was developed by e-Richard on this site. I'm sure a search will bring up lots of info for you.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I was just thinking that Kathy! Doesn't matter whether you're on a windows or Mac system, it's the software behind scenes that matters. If you use PIMS you're using it online so the only essential bit of kit you need is the internet. I have two windows computers but an iphone and ipad and the system works well across them all, so I can work wherever I am. I now manage three properties using it and couldn't be without it.

PM me if you want a referral code if it's of interest.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

I would also download Open Office, which is free and very useful.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

KathyG wrote:Best decision you ever made! I've had the same Mac for 7 years now and it's still perfect, that's not possible with PCs. :D
Sorry to disagree, but with a PC and a Linux system loaded you are relatively "future proof" and you are not tied to Apple products at rip-off prices. Oh and Open Office (now LibreOffice) comes pre-installed on most Linux systems !
Just my 2 cents
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Ah but Apple products are cool, and made in the Far East by slaves in horrendous conditions.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

cysgod y coed wrote:Ah but Apple products are cool, and made in the Far East by slaves in horrendous conditions.
That is so non PC - politically correct that is :P
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Yes, but I watched Panorama.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Please lets not let us go down the Apple/PC debate. :x
ZAW have you first off read this from Apple's own website
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201553
or this from a forum
http://www.macworld.com/article/2036233 ... a-mac.html
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

bornintheuk wrote:
Sorry to disagree, but with a PC and a Linux system loaded you are relatively "future proof" and you are not tied to Apple products at rip-off prices. Oh and Open Office (now LibreOffice) comes pre-installed on most Linux systems !
Just my 2 cents
Don't know anything about Linux, but Apple products are CHEAP and not limited to just one machine unlike Microsoft.
Kathy
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

Good evening
And thank you all for your input to date

Ian & Irene thanks also for the links , but I do not intend to transfer my existing outdated manual invoicing and booking packages , I am really looking for an updated system to streamline my administration and time management but thanks

And thought I would take this opportunity as Santa has delivered a new Apple I Mac in my office

So you can guess what I will be doing over the next few weeks but for now while my guests are enjoying sampling the wonderful wines that have been placed in their apartment and I have a nice chilled bottle of riesling with my name on it in my fridge
Santas present will remain behind my closed office door for the remainder of 2014

So I will now wish everyone a very happy new year and a healthy and successful 2015

Maria

:D
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Happy New Year to you Maria too and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your iMac, a stunning machine. :D
Kathy
Essar

Post by Essar »

KathyG wrote: Don't know anything about Linux, but Apple products are CHEAP and not limited to just one machine unlike Microsoft.
I don't think Apple products are cheap.
Apple products are limited to Apple Macs, iPads, iPods & iPhones; nothing else runs Apple products.
Microsoft products will run on any make of PC including Apple (Including Windows - albeit in a window!). This includes a Mac version of MS-Office.

If you are talking about non-internet products & Apps then you must buy an Apple version, if they have one.

Internet based software such as PIMS will run on any Apple Mac/iPad/iPhone or any other make of computer - that's down to the Browser in use not the computer.

I am a fan of Apple as their software products are much more stable than MS's stuff, which has to cater for everyone and his dog. Apple of course only have to think about their own hardware when producing products - much easier.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

cysgod y coed wrote:Ah but Apple products are cool, and made in the Far East by slaves in horrendous conditions.
Reminded me that when I worked in the UK as a photographer, I couldn't source Japanese film/paper (Fuji) - my preferred choice - from our usual photo wholesaler because the owner had suffered during WW2 at the hands of the Japanese army. Likewise my father would have no truck with Japanese products. The situation only changed when the owner died and the wholesale business was inherited by his son.

Sadly, only personal experience of horrors probably has enough clout to make most people (not all, fortunately) likely to change their buying habits. Wasn't always the case - I can remember the grim press coverage of conflicts like the Vietnam war having a profound effect on public opinion.
Jim
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

And the latest about the "wonderful" Apple product lines :roll:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30655176