Let's talk carpets

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
zebedee

Let's talk carpets

Post by zebedee »

Another thing some might want to consider in the finer detail of your decision making would be the possibility that any of your potential guests would have a visual disability?
We are graded by Visit England and have to provide an Access Statement as part of the process, as well as having the Statement available for any enquiries. We include in the Statement information about how we have floor covering which is a contrasting colour to assist anyone with any visual impairment. Rugs etc also contrast with whatever they are lying on for the same reason.
tchn

Post by tchn »

We inherited a new wood laminate (i.e. real wood on top layer) floor downstairs (living rooms and kitchen), which had been put in place of a parquet floor which flooded while the property was on the market. It has stood up pretty well over 2 years. We accept a lot of dogs, but the only damage has been from people pulling furniture around. We've now superglued felt pads on the bottom and that problem has gone. The ones below the sink and at the front door have gone a bit darker, but I think it will be a few years before we replace them.

On the stairs and upstairs we have gone for carpet - it just looks and feels warmer. We were advised not to go with an expensive wool carpet, but we have, and it's holding up well. It's a flecked white and grey (the latter from local Herdwick wool) and has a couple of small stains which I only notice because I'm looking at them. There is no wear/tear after 2 years.

Our biggest mistake was opting for a tiled floor in the upstairs showerroom - the floor had a small amount of movement and the grout was continually falling out. We've replaced with Karndean and have no regrets at all. It looks and feels good.

If we had had a greater budget we would have gone with underfloor heating, and still wish we could have done.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Porcelain tiles in the entrance area also adjoining kitchen and bathroom.

The rest is cheap carpets - man made material but they look really good. Pale colour creamy/beige in the bedrooms.

Currently a darker mottled shade in living room & stairs - am thinking of using the creamy / beige when I replace these.

The downside of my inexpensive carpets - (polypropolene?) -is that they can fray - my living room one now needs replacing after 3 & a half years.
insidestoryphoto

Post by insidestoryphoto »

We have polished wood floorboards downstairs but like a few other posters, we have suffered from guests who must have been prancing around in stiletto shoes and have marked the floor badly.

As for some of our long term residential lettings, I just wish I could tarmac the whole of the inside of the property...
www.insidestoryphotography.co.uk
Google Trusted Photographer for Google Virtual Tours
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

insidestoryphoto wrote:
As for some of our long term residential lettings, I just wish I could tarmac the whole of the inside of the property...
if there was a 'like' button on LMH, I'd be using it now... :D

sooo true...
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......