UK weather forecasters don't seem to care

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
charles cawley

UK weather forecasters don't seem to care

Post by charles cawley »

The UK holiday sector (cottages etc:) took a sledgehammer blow in the endless rain of 2012/3. Revenues fell by around 30% or more. Just as bookings were recovering, we had last year's Christmas floods. Now, we have a monumentally stupid, over exaggeration where they have described a deep weather depression (that is far from unknown) as a 'Weather bomb'.

Alarmist hype to bolster the standing of narcissistic weather forecasters is destroying businesses. Thank you BBC and others for your deceptive reporting. Best you keep tucked up; don't go into work, I see a shower (that you will call 'a once in a lifetime precipitation event') coming your way.

I wish these people realized the damage they cause by their hype. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather ... -live.html
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
bessie

Post by bessie »

The local man on our BBC local news seems to treat the weather forecast as a joke.
Its not just holiday cottages but farming and any other industry that needs correct weather forcasts.
Some of them are more interested in been famous .
Tempted to send our local station a picture of my son in Antarctica and ask if they could get the weather forecast right on that .
A change from its going to rain,might snow oh and by the way it could be windy.
colinc1234

Post by colinc1234 »

Hello Charles

Reithian values ( after Lord Reith - by all accounts quite a complex man with many shades) are supposed to be at the heart of the BBC and how they project themselves.

I suspect the weather men are not subject to the same scrutiny and this is a great shame.

Could it be that the broadcasters have been reading too much of the Daily Mail (Daily misery) and decided that their media world is truly divorced from reality?

Thank you

Colin
Sobered by the smell of greed everywhere
I write a new poem and again think of you
www.bookourcottage.com
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Just come back from the house - 1/2 mile from the coast at the most - nothing, nada weatherwise except sunshine but all we heard on the way down was 'weather bomb' & high winds & IOW ferry delays due wind.

I don't really take much notice of the weather forcasts these days, particuarly the online ones, they are invariably wrong. I know it's not an exact science but sometimes I do wonder what we pay the met office for - I could probably tell as much some days by licking my finger & sticking it out of the window! Sorry. rant over, it's a pet gripe of mine.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

If they predict bad weather and get it wrong, they'll get criticised. If you get bad weather and they didn't predict it as bad, they'll get criticised.

It's a weather forecast and nothing is certain. I think they do pretty well these days in predicting our weather but it will never be 100% accurate.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I totally agree with Kev.

The pictures today of the weather particularly in the North West of England and Scotland are pretty scary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30407295]
Fleur
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

My wife's family mostly come from Tacloban in the Philippines. Last year they said a huge typhoon was coming. Most people ignored the forecasters. 1000s died.

I think predicting the weather in the UK is much more difficult. On mainland Europe, the forecasts seem to be much more reliable and there is probably not as much regional variation that you experience on a small landmass like the UK.

I'm always impressed that the snowfall forecast can predict the amount of snowfall so well.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Couldn't agree more Charles - I used to work in the Highlands and the misreporting drove my up the wall! We were in the Cairngorms' rainshadow and enjoyed a relatively continental climate for Britain, but according to the weathermen, it was always raining, which affected all of us in the tourist industry greatly.

It's not the weather forecast that's the issue though, Kev, but the sensationalist way in which it's reported, which has definitely got worse over time. Being able to accurately predict 5cm of snow is, indeed an improvement to weather forecasting, but what is generally predicted is not 5cm but 5!!!CM!!!! as if it's something rare and to be afraid of. No wonder there are so many climate change deniers around when people are led to believe that 5cm is as serious as the foot or more we used to regularly get!