odd booking enquiry

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
minty

odd booking enquiry

Post by minty »

Hello everyone

I've just got my very first booking enquiry (property has been on the market just 2 days), and it's a bit weird.

It's for 3 weeks, 2 adults, 2 children. But it's in May, so outside school holidays.

They also want to bring 2 dogs (that will "live outside") and 2 "middleaged" cats.

To me this look more like a family looking like a temporary home rather than a holiday. Am I being overly suspicious?

Any suggestions on how to handle this?
Apart from anything else, we're not keen on having cats.

Cheers, Minty
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Personally I'd be more worried about the 'outside' dogs; they could be noisy for your neighbours (if you have any) if they bark.
Cats are less hassle unless they scratch the furniture...but then kids can do that too, and more :roll:

In your situation (new to renting) I wouldn't accept this booking...it appears odd to me that they want to bring so many animals, and also a bit cheeky. If I was turning up with dogs, cats and kids I'd be anticipating a knock back and doing my best to put the owner at ease even in the first email.
Kids, of course, might be under school age.

I'd politely turn them down.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
dizza2560

Odd booking enquiry

Post by dizza2560 »

I too would reject this one. Tempting I know when it is a 3 week booking to accept (and yes they are as rare as hens teeth).
I had a bad experience with a family who brought 2 dogs, they ignored all the polite requests about pet behaviour, left the dogs outside when they went out, let them scratch the back door, foul the garden and bark, plus let them run riot in the house. Our housekeeper found dog hair every where, even upstairs and muddy paw prints on windowsills etc.
They enquired for Christmas and got a polite reply stating no availability.
I would be worried about the number of pets and potential problems, but the main consideration is that they are "outside dogs".
Best avoid I think.
I would rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

are they French?? They frequently travel with all the animals - rabbits, ferrets as well as dogs & cats...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

petitbois wrote:are they French?? They frequently travel with all the animals - rabbits, ferrets as well as dogs & cats...
Yeś in France, but I doubt the'd take them across the Channel to Norfolk - much too expensive.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

More French expats living in London than Brits living in the whole of France.....
kg1

Post by kg1 »

And thereby hang a tale..................
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I've let to dog bringing families in the past with no trouble. However, as a first let I'd avoid as for all the above posts, plus the possibility of a flea infestation.

I'd also avoid letting to anyone who may say 'we chose you because you were the cheapest'.

Be warned!!!
minty

Post by minty »

Thanks for the advice everyone. We did reluctantly turn the booking down.

They had also managed to request a saturday changeover instead of friday, so we would have potentially lost another week too!

Cheers, Minty