How are your summer bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
dizza2560

How are your summer bookings?

Post by dizza2560 »

Just wondered how you are all doing in regards to peak weeks. Our bookings are strong until we hit the 6 week summer period, then only one week booked so far. Not worried yet, as plenty of time, but, how are your summer bookings?
I would rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I have to say so far this year has been a big dissapointment but we only started last June so have no reference.

We had been relying on HL which we realise was a mistake. So far our first real booking is not until June but we have 4 ongoing enquiries over the next few weeks.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Our booking pattern has changed this year. Normally the cheaper weeks in June and Sept are booked first then the peak weeks later. At the moment the peak weeks have been booked and a few of the cheaper weeks in June/Sep. A complete reversal.
Annew

Post by Annew »

We're well up on this time last year, but we have taken lots of short break bookings and have been much more flexible with changeover dates and have taken more single sex and younger groups (all of which have been fine so far fingers crossed)

Enquiries have been pretty high up until last week and I could have let easter 10 times over.

We usually get a lull in enquiries at this time of year then they pick up after the Easter holidays, when there's usually a mad scramble for any remaining summer weeks (we've got 2 in August and 1 in July remaining over 2 cottages and we've also got a fair bit of June remaining like you ianthy and that normally fills up before July and August!)

It's panning out to be another reasonable year for us, but you have be flexible!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
booboo

Post by booboo »

I already posted this in the Spain forum but hay ho!!

We are on par with our competition in amount of weeks booked.
But nothing for April or May and little or no enquires for these dates either. Two weeks left in June, a few days left in July, two week left in August.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Similar story with peak weeks - one booked back in Jan, another recently, the rest are still available. Again I'm not too worried, as it's been this way for our first two summers.

I notice that there are only 5 1/2 weeks of school holiday this year, so the first week (w/c 27 July) may be trickier to let?
Open for business.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

This is our first real season (we did start last May but didn;t advertise and just relyed on friends and family).

So far I've been really please with the way things have gone. We have 3 cottages, 1/2/3 beds.

Our 3 bed is on contract for 32 weeks of the year to a company who then organises all of the holiday lets to us (guaranteed income, which is nice!).

Our 2 bed is also fully booked for the peak weeks in the summer and for a reasonable amount either side. The 1 bed is the least in demand, especially in the summer holidays.

We had a lot of enquirys after Christmas but it's a lot quieter now. Hopefully it will pick up again after Easter.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

From June to end of September we have 3 weeks left. Been absolutely amazed at how well we've done and really pleased cos we like to go ourselves at least once a month for 3 night stays and have managed to do short break bookings to fill in the gaps

I work for the NHS and have got loads of bookings from our virtual notice board which is brilliant as the advertising cost is nil.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Our bookings are well up on last year. Our 3 bed bungalow is booked solid from this weekend until October, but the 4 bed house has been slower and we have a few gaps in April, May, June and July.

I haven't increased the prices at all this year so maybe that's a factor. I'm going to sneak them up a little for 2014.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

So in general it seems that bookings are doing well in the UK but not so well on the continent. Looks like Brits are deciding to holiday nearer to home and perhaps the UK is becoming a popular destination for foreigners. Also short stays seem to be popular perhaps because holiday money is limited.

My enquiries and bookings for my properties in France are well down compared with previous years. Perhaps one reason is that I don't accept short stays and try to get minimum 2 week bookings to minimise changeovers.

http://www.locasun.fr/?a=16058
http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/en/a ... rty/158469
http://www.locasun.fr/?a=81832
http://www.alphaholidaylettings.com/rental/Aude/15119
http://www.naturistholidays.fr
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

DaveN wrote: I notice that there are only 5 1/2 weeks of school holiday this year, so the first week (w/c 27 July) may be trickier to let?
6 1/2 weeks where we are Dave and we break up 19 July, so I can see no reason that the last two weeks in July should not sell relatively easily. Having said that, I still have those weeks available!

I have a definite trend for short booking enquiries all through the summer, but I don't want to end up with lots of gaps, so I'm trying now to keep a couple of weeks for just weekly bookings. Not sure it's the right answer, but I'm giving it a whirl.

I have loads of availability, but enquiries are still rolling in, so I expect to get there eventually. There's no doubt my market has been hit, but I have increased my prices across the board, including some steep increases in the shoulder months of June & September.

It's a slightly risky strategy, but one I'm prepared to run with for the time being.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Thanks for than Nemo,
By now I REALLY should have known better than to look at HL's holiday date table, which shows "Wed 24 July 2013 – Sun 1 September 2013" for the summer holiday dates. Something else they have managed to get wrong by the look of it! :roll:
Open for business.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well they don't seem to know much about their own business, let alone school holidays, so yes, I agree, you should have known better. :wink:

Wed 24th is the statutory finish but all schools have their inset days etc to use when they see fit, so 90% of the schools round here tack some of them on to bring forward the end of term. Apart from my kids old primary school that used to force them to stay on for those final 2 1/2 days when they did zero work! Pointless. :roll:

I've just done some very interesting stats, that tell me a great deal, but are also worth sharing simply to give comfort to those worried about summer bookings in the UK. I had 18 bookings last year, for the peak summer weeks - mid July to end August. Here is when they were taken:

1 in 2011
3 in Jan 2012
2 in Feb
1 in March
5 in April
1 in May
3 in June
2 in July

So all it tells you is don't panic! Having said that I had sold all of June by now, so it shows that my hefty price increase has knocked that. Can I be brave enough and hold out?!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We've still got a long way to go to fill July and August over 3 properties, but I'm not concerned yet.
tavi

Post by tavi »

My summer weeks in the hut are slow to book but no different to last year.

My summer weeks in the studio are going well but still a few peak ones available.

Lots of good enquiries over the last few days for high season. Just hoping they'll convert as then I can spend my time on planning rather than emailing.