Managing bookings for a friend

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
SandyBeaches

Managing bookings for a friend

Post by SandyBeaches »

A friend who has a holiday let has asked if I'd be interested in handling his advertising and bookings. It's in the same area as our existing two holiday lets, and is a great property. Has anyone else done this for a friend and if so do you have any advice?

We would charge them commission, but less than the big agency they are currently dealing with. Or should we charge the same????

Part of me is a bit nervous about it as we'd be under pressure to achieve the same levels as the big agencies. Really unsure about this. Help!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

For the sake of your friendship, keep it on a business footing and make it clear to them the limits of your involvement and the fees you will charge. Put it in writing. It can be a strain on a friendship, especially if they are expecting more than you may be able to offer.
Lounging on the lily pad...
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

The agency booking market is brutal and not easy to enter. You may get some results which would be welcome. In our case, we spend around 40-50% of all revenue on advertising before all other services.

Some arrangements like this do work, but you will have to work at it. What makes a good agent is not always the same as what makes a top quality holiday let owner and the other way around.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes I too have been asked by other owners to rent theirs out, but as they were the same as mine, I felt the competition too great and I wouldn't be able to fulfill their expectations.

There is also a large property in the village that I would be happy to handle as presently they get virtually no winter lets, but that's down to my cleaner being the go between and I think they decided to stay with the devil though know (an English cottage website).

I think you have to charge a bit less than a full on agency, but if you go too low, it's simply not worth the amount of effort involved. Several owners here do manage others. Mouse and LV come to mind off the top of my head.