contact details

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I too think it's an absolute necessity for a private rental. I don't provide a landline as the chances of getting someone other than me is very high but the chances of getting a correct message passed on would be low!

So mobile it is. If it's not convenient for me to answer then they can leave a message or send a text. Not everyone has internet access 24/7 so denying the chance to make contact with you at the booking stage seems to be shooting yourself in the foot.

Most people will email, and so I really wouldn't worry about being inundated with calls. It definitely provides a reassurance to the guest that you are real and contactable. Booking through an online form with no contact details takes you down to a mere commodity and I'm sure no-one believes that is what their holiday rentals are.

I believe that actually a high number do book precisely because you have a phone number displayed, even if they don't need to use it. However I have no survey results to back my hunch up!
Martha

Post by Martha »

I went to an interesting talk the other day. One of the things he talked about was of dividing "usability" (this was in a design context, but it works for any business) into several component parts:
- the expectation of how this process normally works
- the effort it takes to do something
- the stress involved in doing it
- the stake you have in getting it done

Here, you're unbalancing the expectation of a contact page. They may not want to ring, but expect to see a phone number. No number? Something's odd. Why can't I phone?
People do worry about being scammed, so you're increasing stress - they have little stake in contacting you at this point, and you're putting barriers in their way and appearing unapproachable.

I would say I get maybe 3 or 4 phone enquiries a year so it's really not a big deal.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
golfing girl

Post by golfing girl »

I feel a phone number is a must. I agree whole heartedly with FC and would say that over the years and only yesterday in fact, someone phoned up to ask specific questions and even though I wasn't there, they left a message on the answer machine and when I phoned them back they booked. I also have had some very last minute bookings ie less than a day, who had they not been able to speak with me would not have booked.
So yes, you do need a phone number
I wish I was on the golf course
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I would say that those that telephone probably wouldn't have booked with us otherwise.

Pmagowan, it seems to me, but I might be wrong, as if you don't want to put a phone number on, and are trying to justify it to yourself. It's your choice, and you will never know if you don't put it on will you!

Presumably you will put it on your emails after the booking stage anyway, unless someone else is managing your house for you. Otherwise you really are asking for a packet of trouble when something goes pair-shaped and your clients can't contact you!

Honestly I probably get about 4 bookings a year from the phone, and probably only about 5 calls a year. Only on one occasion did I have a nightmare woman and I pulled out of the deal, when she changed her dates for the 5th time.

I have taken 2 bookings by phone this week - so personally it works for me.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Martha wrote: Here, you're unbalancing the expectation of a contact page. They may not want to ring, but expect to see a phone number. No number? Something's odd. Why can't I phone?
People do worry about being scammed, so you're increasing stress - they have little stake in contacting you at this point, and you're putting barriers in their way and appearing unapproachable.
Excellent Martha, that's re-iterates my thoughts entirely.
golfing girl wrote:I also have had some very last minute bookings ie less than a day, who had they not been able to speak with me would not have booked.
Ditto. Took one this week, that rang me at midday and were then safely ensconced at my property by that evening.
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

This is the thing. I think in the internet age that less and less people are interested in the phone. I certainly wouldn't notice that there was no phone number on a holiday rental site as I would not be looking for one. If I am looking at their website a nd their contact page has a simple form on it why would I be interested in a phone number.
Really the only thing I can see in it's favour is that it might, for the odd person, convince them that I was real. I would have thought that this was reasonably obvious from my website and can be confirmed through email. I personally would not count a mobile phone number as a sign of validity but, like I say maybe it would convince the odd person.
Certainly the answers given here make me thing this may be an imaginary issue or at least a very small one. In any business you need to assess the benefit of a measure against its cost (which includes time and hassle). I think that the benefit is marginal and in some cases detrimental and the cost seems high.

I do not think that a little used phone number offers a particularly improved or more personal service than focusing on the contact form, the website and personalised replies.

It would be very interesting to have some figures but I can't see any real scientific way of getting useful information. I guess, at the end of the day, it is each to their own but I certainly would not suggest that this is essential or even preferable for all.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Paddy, I don't get why you're making such a big thing of this! If you don't want to put a phone number out there, well, okay, don't. We all think it's a mistake. I go further (just for a change :lol: But it's one my my biggest bugbears) and think it's disrespectful.

I'm someone who wouldn't book with you if I didn't find a phone number. You're looking to charge four figures for a week's rental. You have to be prepared to give people a bit more of yourself than just your house for that.
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Sorry you think I am making a big deal of this FC, I am only giving my personal opinion and so far I do not think I have been disrespectful to anyone. I am quite prepared to be convinced that I am wrong.

I am a science minded person. I like things to be thought through and accurate (which is why I am here).

As I have said, from the answers given so far we are talking about a known small potential gain (5 calls this year etc) and an unknown but presumed gain (they know we are real etc). My analysis of this is that it is not worth it and I can percieve of negative effects such as calling a number with nobody there to answer. I am not convinced that these small potential gains are outweighed by the negatives in terms of cost, hassle and providing a poor phone service rather than providing an excellent contact form service.

If 90% of your business came via phone then yes, there is an obvious need. If it is less than 1% then maybe it would be better to devote your resources to the other 99%.

As I said, each to their own. What is right for one person is wrong for another. The world is a big enough place for everyone.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

PIMS tells me 5% of my bookings are by telephone. Why is is such a hassle for you? Are you deaf? In which case I can see that it might be quite a trial, but I'm not really up on hearing issues (yet!). Seriously my quickest bookings are telephone ones because there is no tooing and froing. They just book once you have answered whatever it is they need answering. Honestly Paddy I am a teacher so cannot answer my phone during those hours I am in class - about 7 a day, but I still find it an invaluable tool. It is even quicker than logging onto PIMS and we all know how wonderful that is.

But if you don't want to use it that's entirely your lookout. But you are not going to convince anyone who does take bookings by phone that it is a bad idea.
derekw

telephone

Post by derekw »

Hi

Put simply,a telephone number is a must have - it gives credibility and validity to your advert. They can phone you, but in my seven year's experience probably only about 10% do . That said, the vast majority of those who have rung with minor queries are thoroughly charming committed francophiles, who you can establish a rapport with. Which is nice and it is what
sets us private renters apart from the hotel chains .

I took a booking last month , from a person who got my number from Chez Nous. He was pleased to speak directly with me.

On a more profound level, it is very sad the way business and life in general is so e mail driven. I still love to speak to my business customers and develop a bond on a personal level. It does still matter. The day will come when the Facebook generation realise as they look out from behind the gates of their gated communities that perhaps life was all about human interraction after all. You wonder if the attendance at their funerals will just be delivered in to the spam mail of the deceased.

Long live the phone number !!

Derek
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

I am a doctor, my phone number is ex directory for that reason. There are large parts of the day and night when I would be unable to answer a phone for minor issues and my number being freely available causes problems with getting phonecalls from patients (which happens even though I am ex D)

I would only put my phone number online if I felt it would otherwise have a significant detrimental effect. I am afraid, although many of you are quite passionate about it, the evidence of its effectiveness does not seem to be there. Most of you claim only a marginal benefit that may have converted even if you didn't have a phone number. I am afraid, for me, the downsides seem to outweigh this potential benefit. If it causes me to lose 1 or 2 potential customers a year perhaps this is a price I will have to pay.

If I am convinced otherwise I will change my position. I will probably only know over the next year or 2.
Martha

Post by Martha »

"There are large parts of the day and night when I would be unable to answer a phone for minor issues "

Many people have this problem, not just doctors. They can leave a message, and you can call them back.

You say you're a scientific person - but remember, people aren't making a scientific, quantifiable decision here. They're making an emotional decision - Oh wow! This is my dream place! The more you can humanise the process, the better.

But it seems to me that you're looking for the answer you want to hear, which I'm afraid is not the answer you'll actually get from people with experience in this field :)

If you don't want to, fine! It's your choice. You'll just have to ignore all the advice, and see how it goes. Personally I would go for the other way round - put it on, and then remove it if it becomes a problem.

It's interesting to think though this a bit more. I am going to do a bit of work on my contact page, I think. No page is more important!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Fair enough but if my number is in the public domain then I will be inundated with calls until it is changed. Yesterday a patient came to my house for a consultation, out of the blue, and we live in the middle of nowhere! Patients have managed to get my number before and called me while I am in Italy because they didn't want to talk to the locum. I just don't see how it could work for me.

At the end of the day the effect of having the number on a website is difficult to quantify. I will have to see if it is impossible to get a reasonable number of bookings without it. If it is then I will reconsider. If not then there is not a problem.

Horses for courses!
delilah

Post by delilah »

What does seem to be important and appreciated, is getting back to people quickly after an email enquiry. This is often mentioned in their next email. This was very much part of my customer care when i had a health care practise from home....plus with 35 years in the caring profession, I'm very aware people need to feel "safe" and looked after, and a quick response seems part of that. It seems to be very much a personal choice area, and not too many bookings swung by telephone, so i may just be prepared to for go those. I think these days most people very happy to work by email, and still get an impression of who they are dealing with on the other end. I also like the fact that i can have an owners profile on OD, with a photo of me, so they can connect that way.
Interesting though, to see how everyone deals with it.
whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't....you're right
www.anchoragemewsmersea.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/AnchorageMewsHo ... age?ref=hl
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Delilah your website is lovely. Is it professionally done?