Correct selling procedure. No, not us. Just some thoughts.

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
Wonkeye

Correct selling procedure. No, not us. Just some thoughts.

Post by Wonkeye »

I thought I'd put some questions that occurred to me as a result of a contribution in 'Bookings' - here - which seem to gone unnoticed, so I thought I'd post them again in this more suitable place.

The questions are not so much for us ourselves - at least not at this stage - but more for folk in general. The thing is - many many questions are put - and answers given - on buying a property, but what about when it comes to selling? Not a subject for huge enthusiasm, granted.

My questions were these:
What do other people think about the feeling of being obliged not to carry on advertising if one is in the process of selling? There have been a couple of other posts recently about having successfully sold a property and how to inform those who've previously booked. Does it make a difference, ethically, if you're selling as a holiday let or as a 'regular' house? If you take it off the market, in the current conditions how can you afford the ongoing expenses, with the prospect of maybe having to wait years to sell? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

.... in response to these comments made in the above-mentioned post:
French Cricket wrote:Katie, I just had a look at your site again and I get a 'page not found' whenever I try to visit the Les Jets page, whichever link I click to go there ....
katiebythesea wrote:Hi FC - thank you but that is because that is the house that the comrpomis de vente has just been signed for so I can't really have it on the web site as available to rent! I will be contacting my website guy to remove it from the menus etc.
It sold really quickly which was surprising but a relief as means we will have some money to pay inheritance taxes etc.
So, in a nutshell, if you've just the one property and think maybe you're more likely to sell as a private property for 'normal' occupancy, rather than as a viable holiday letting business with minimal profits (as backed up by several posts on LMH that indicated one could really only generate big profits if one had several properties), does it really make sense to shut up shop and not advertise? Knowing that given the state of the property market, it could take months (years) to sell?

And on a practical note, if you're taking bookings and haven't announced that you're trying to sell, how on earth do you organise viewings, particularly if you're not on-the-spot? By an agent, on change-over day?

Interestingly, I came across this phrase in a cottage's terms and conditions a while back:
"22.Sale of rental property: In the event that the property is sold after bookings have been made, then the owner reserves the right to cancel bookings and return all monies paid." Is it maybe wise to incorporate a clause like this at some point in one's holiday-letting career?!!!

Just thoughts that occur to one in the middle of the night!