Booking cancelled - but not sure I understand why?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
harcourtv57

Booking cancelled - but not sure I understand why?

Post by harcourtv57 »

We received the following message regarding a booking that I was chasing payment for:

I'll cancel my reservation request.
I have not managed to find safety information about a settlement for a holiday. Payment by paypal for services not covered by their warranty. And nothing I can guarantee that there will be no problems with our booking.

I'm not sure I understand this, I think the gist is that they are concerned that somehow their payment may not be covered if we turn out not to be genuine (!) or what guarantees they have.

but they asked lots of questions beforehand, we provided them with a copy of our booking terms and conditions and it was their request to pay via Paypal! Nationality is French by the way, so this might be a google translation or similar.

Does anyone think they can shed any further light on this?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

To get PayPal Buyer Protection, all you need to do is pay with PayPal. Eligibility requirements: Claims can only be made for physical goods that can be posted and are not prohibited. Payments for the following are not eligible for re-imbursement under PayPal Buyer Protection: intangible items, services.
So they have found that services are not covered by the guarantee, as goods would be.

I know I only discovered recently that if you pay by credit card using Paypal, you lose your section 75 cover, because although you've paid by CC, you've paid a third party, rather than the owner direct, for goods.

They obviously want water tight guarantees that you exist and they won't lose their money. Are you a member of any association that might give them the confidence they needed, such as EASCO? However, it does sound perhaps too late and no matter what you do, it won't be enough for them.
NonnaGiulietta

Re: Booking cancelled - but not sure I understand why?

Post by NonnaGiulietta »

harcourtv57 wrote:I think the gist is that they are concerned that somehow their payment may not be covered if we turn out not to be genuine
What's the problem, redirect them to one of the sites on which you advertise, among those who deal directly with the traveler/guest with an additional charge (HolidayLettings, Airbnb, 9flats, etc.).
Nonna Giulietta Apartment
NG on Facebook

God gave us the gift of speech, but has taken from us that of silence (Sergio Bolgeri, painter)
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I did think about sending them the link to the other sites we list with and reviews from previous guests - but still think this is a 'lost' one. I just had a funny feeling about it as you sometimes do, with all the questions etc.

But as I said it was their choice to pay by Paypal anyway.
Blanche

Post by Blanche »

Why don't you just tell them they can pay on arrival? Most of my guests do this and I have never had any problem.
La Maison du Curé
www.cormatin.eu
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Blanche, not all of us are on site to be able to do that, and what happens if they don't arrive?
Blanche

Post by Blanche »

Sorry, I had forgotten that not everyone can meet and greet their guests. I was thinking harcourtv57 could just do this as a one-off. I get a lot of people coming back every year and have never had anyone not turning up. One regular who didn't have the cash on arrival left it on the table for me when they left.
La Maison du Curé
www.cormatin.eu
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We aren't on site and now only take cash on arrival for very last minute bookings. This of course means making a special journey to meet up with the arriving guests. We have been let down a couple of times - one set didn't arrive and the others did turn up - to tell us that in the meantime they had found somewhere else !!!