Pricing....

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Katie, I just had a look at your site again and I get a 'page not found' whenever I try to visit the Les Jets page, whichever link I click to go there ....
katiebythesea

Post by katiebythesea »

Hi FC - thank you but that is because that is the house that the comrpomis de vente has just been signed for so I can't really have it on the web site as available to rent! I will be contacting my website guy to remove it from the menus etc.
It sold really quickly which was surprising but a relief as means we will have some money to pay inheritance taxes etc.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Some niches are doing better than others in our area of West England / East Wales.

However, putting prices up for most cottages in our area could be a serious mistake unless quality or features are improved at the same time.

The UK market will recover a little due to a slump in the international value of the £ but how long other currencies can retain value is open to question. It seems they are nearly all defying gravity with the Euro being no exception.

Two owners have asked us if they should reduce prices. We do not like to advise this, even though it might make our work easier... but there is no doubt that people are shopping around more efficiently than ever and that brand loyalty to certain booking services or simply returning on repeat visits is on the slide. As money gets tight, those people who can still afford to use cottage or vacation rentals will become more and more demanding and careful in how they spend their money.

This will be good news for good quality holiday lets and bad news for what was once considered acceptable standard lets.

2013 is going to be a very tough year. Taking a risk increasing prices in this difficult economic climate, unless it is to match significant inflation could be to court unnecessary danger. For moderate to poor quality cottages it could well be a disastrous decision.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I wouldn't reduce prices to stimulate bookings. My area is oversupplied but its a quality driven market, people just don't know whether they have a job this summer so their holiday is on hold.

My fwd bookings are ok, tbh I've given up worrying about them as every year turns out the same in the end.

I could probably have sold all summer if I'd caved into the 'give us yr best price' requests, but I don't think its fair to discount to newbies when I don't to regulars.

Hope it helps.
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

French Cricket wrote:Katie, I just had a look at your site again and I get a 'page not found' whenever I try to visit the Les Jets page, whichever link I click to go there ....
katiebythesea wrote:Hi FC - thank you but that is because that is the house that the comrpomis de vente has just been signed for so I can't really have it on the web site as available to rent! I will be contacting my website guy to remove it from the menus etc.
It sold really quickly which was surprising but a relief as means we will have some money to pay inheritance taxes etc.
What do other people think about the feeling of being obliged not to carry on advertising if one is in the process of selling? There have been a couple of other posts recently about having successfully sold a property and how to inform those who've previously booked. Does it make a difference, ethically, if you're selling as a holiday let or as a 'regular' house? If you take it off the market, in the current conditions how can you afford the ongoing expenses, with the prospect of maybe having to wait years to sell? Just a thought that crossed my mind.
Eagerbeaver

Post by Eagerbeaver »

My opinionis that you should continue offering it as a holiday let and try selling the property. If the house sells with weeks rented, you could always help find the holiday makers alternative accommodation.

Going back to pricing, a lot depends on the property. If you have an average property type which is similar to others in the area, you will be lead by others.

On the other hand, if you have a property with unique characteristics, you can pretty much charge as much as you like and success is down to how well it is promoted.