Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 2 2013

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

You can make any page a "place" page that allows people to "check in" with their mobile device, you just have to specify an address that is recognized by Bing maps....

http://www.facebook.com/help/197254963682414
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

you just have to specify an address that is recognized by Bing maps....
Thanks for the info, but unfortunately FB doesn't recognise my address - "We couldn't determine the location from the provided address. Make sure to enter a valid address."

I've done some more searching, and another suggestion was to create another page from a mobile. While at buisiness location, check-in, and create a place (which you can do if FB can't find a place with the right name where you are). From a computer, find the place, then claim the new page (created when the place is created), and from your main page, request to merge the new page and your existing one. It's that simple :?

Anyhow, I suspect the address problem may stop the merge from working, but time will tell...
Open for business.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Yeah, if the address isn't recognized, then creating a location page with a gps-enabled mobile device and merging that page with your business page would be the way to go.

I am an admin on a page that has a recognized address, the problem is that the map shows the pin a long way away from where the actual location is. When I try to correct it by dragging the pin to the proper location, it generates an error -- something like "you've moved the location too far from the original position, so we're rejecting the move...." grrrr!

Maybe when I'm out at that place this afternoon, I'll try checking in on my phone and see what happens.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Bookmarking posts or photos for using at a later date.

I use the scheduling facility but much of what I put on my page comes from other pages. There must be a way of bookmarking or saving these somehow so that I can post them another time?

I found this dated July 12 but it doesn't appear to have been rolled out?
Facebook is testing a new option for users to save posts in mobile and desktop News Feed for later viewing. We haven’t been able to test the feature for ourselves, but it seems that it will allow users to save stories on either mobile or desktop and then view them from another device by accessing the Saved feed from the Favorites panel on the left of News Feed.

Any ideas anyone?

Edited to update. In the absence of any guidance, I have found a way to at least bookmark photos or copy and past the link so I can schedule. I click on the photo and then either add to favourites in my browser, with a suitable title, so I can refer at a later date. Alternatively, I copy and paste the link into a status update which brings up the photo and then I can schedule for a few days ahead etc.

Still haven't solved bookmarking posts with just text though.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizza-salsa

Post by pizza-salsa »

gosh I am glad I found this thread. Thank you Nemo for starting it. I am also totally new to FB as I only opened an account in order to have a FB page for our blog,as I don't use the personal account at all (for the time being at least)
http://www.facebook.com/OurAdventureInCroatia

I now want to setup a FB page for our Croatian house so all this information you are posting is extremely helpful, I will have to go back to the 1st thread to read all that too.... thanks!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

Also, it is worth bearing in mind that the more likes you have the better as it increases your SEO :)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
elena

Post by elena »

I have been Hiking , albeit very slowly & here's a few thoughts...

Although most of my likes have been returned many are still from people's pages so my numbers aren't increasing as they should for the time spent on it

My page is now peppered with comments saying my likes are being returned which doesn't feel very natural

Some people are liking my page & asking for a return like outright which I'm not keen on as I don't particularly want certain pages attached to my personal page (or business) & I then feel bad for not playing ball

I have decided to look through each page & only like the ones I really do like or which are appropriate for our business & then leave a message with a link but no request for a like back ( which I think is HTL's ethos anyway)

I know it's not the way to move ahead quickly but it makes me feel better.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

That seems unlucky that you have mainly had likes from business pages; I haven't found that. However, it's not the number that matter, it's the people behind them. Every business page has a person behind it - that's who you want interested in your property, so it really doesn't matter how they get to you.

People who send messages, just generally don't get the etiquette, so I would ignore them or just read and react to the message however feels natural.

Likes on your wall - you have the ability to hide these if you wish. Click on the little x next to their post which says delete initially. When you click on it you are then given options which include hide. You can then see it within your activity log but it's not on your wall.

Most people who post a photo link within their post ends up in my spam fortunately, as I certainly wouldn't have anything other than a link to another small business there.

Only like the pages you really want to otherwise you end up with irrelevant stuff in your newsfeed. I have had to unlike some as they simply post far too frequently and clutter my newsfeed.

Slowly and surely is the key. Social media is there to help establish relationships and then build on them. If people like your content then you're doing ok. I have seen a huge amount of support within HTL and other pages and people helping each other's businesses out, so I am very happy so far with what I have found.

One aspect that I have come across is ladders, and that doesn't really work for me. The idea is to share each others pages, so you end up with other people's content on your page. No, my page is for my, relevant, content.
tavi

Post by tavi »

hi fellow f-bookers.

Can anyone give me a quick guide to how I can change my FB name (long version) to the short one?

Just cannot find this anywhere on my admin panel.

thanks,
Tavi
Speyside Steve

Post by Speyside Steve »

When you have enough 'likes', you can go to www.facebook.com/username and select the page you want to rename. It will tell you if the one you want is available or not.

Good luck!
tavi

Post by tavi »

Thanks Steve,

I've found how to do it........I was just being lazy hoping that Lmh-ers would show me a short-cut 8)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Posting photos from websites

Anyone help? I frequently see photos on facebook that have a link to a website. When I click the link, it takes me to the page that the photo is on, but this is the complete page, not just the photo. How do they save just the photo and post it to fb?
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Not sure on that Nemo - do you want to just post the photo and not the link? If so I think you'd need to save the photo first on your computer.

But what I really wanted to post was to say a big thank you to everyone who has posted about setting up a facebook page, and especially to Nemo for starting the discussion. Inspired by everyone else's experiences I started a facebook page and am gradually building it, albeit very slowly.

And today I got my first enquiry via facebook!! Which is brilliant. Let's hope it's the first of many more to come.
elena

Post by elena »

Congratulations on your FB booking!!

Just liked your page - you have some gorgeous photos on there!

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Thanks Elena. So chuffed about FB! Proof that it can work. I don't perceive it as hard sell either. It's more like sharing information with friends.

We decided to ditch HL for the time being and try other things. Yes it is more work so we'll see in 12 months if it's been worth it.

Les Crouquets looks very nice :D have liked you back too!