WI-FI MULTIPLE UNITS

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Lindisfarne

WI-FI MULTIPLE UNITS

Post by Lindisfarne »

I am going to have Wi-Fi installed and have held back since we are not on site and was worried about problems with the service

We have 4 cottages at 1 location and 1 cottage at another.

The 1 cottage is simple but what about the 4 cottages ? I presume I would have 1 phone line and then the 4 cottages feed off that

2 of the cottages are side by side the other 2 are detached

Would 1 of the 4 cottages be the main hub and if so could this be a potential problem if the service drops out ie having to call at the hub cottage to resolve the problem

This would be far from ideal - Is there a solution ?
:P
People in Stone Houses should not throw Glass

newtimber

Post by newtimber »

We stayed in cottages with a shared wifi and it didn't work at all well. The signal would be variable or non-existent because of the thickness of the walls and what the neighbours were doing. We weren't happy.

We have a shared internet in our cottages but we hard-wire an ethernet connection to each cottage and attach a wifi router to that for each cottage. Our main bt connection/router is in housekeeping so we have access to it without disturbing anyone and no-one can fiddle with it/disconnect it.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Maybe not the best solution - I really don't know - but we have three cottages in one converted barn; each unit has its own WAP which is hard wired to a hub in one unit. The hub is hard wired back to our house and main router/adsl modem.

Initially we served two of the units with one shared WAP, but I abandoned this following failure issues with the WAP and went down the individual WAP route. The walls are too thick for all three units to share a common WAP anyway.

It does leave a single point of failure, the hub, in one unit. However, hubs are fairly dumb and robust (now there's tempting fate!) and if it goes down it will take all three units out, so there shouldn't be too much objection to going into an affected unit to replace it, which would only take a few minutes.
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

Thanks newtimber and GB

That's a good start point for me !
:P
People in Stone Houses should not throw Glass

janskov

Post by janskov »

We have four semi detached houses and I have installed the wireless router in the end house and wireless access points in the other three houses so that they link to each other in a chaine.
WAP1 link to router, WAP2 link to WAP1, Wap3 link to WAP2.

It was a bit tricky to set up, but now it works very well with a good powerfull signal in all houses.