Solar Panels

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Luzia

Solar Panels

Post by Luzia »

I am based in the eastern Algarve and wish to explore ways to reduce our utility bills. A number of people mentioned solar power as an option, either to heat water or to generate electricity. I have even been told that it is possible to sell power back to the grid. Unfortunately, I have yet to find reliable information that presents the options clearly.

Could anyone point me in the right direction or has anyone had personal experience of solar energy? It would be great to get ballpark figures for installation and for the type of savings that might be expected.
Bom Dia
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Not in Portugal but we have solar panels on 3 houses for heating water. Good in summer but a bit useless in all this snow - you won't have that problem! The photovoltaic are the ones which actually generate electricity anfd you need those to have anything to sell to the grid.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi Luzia.

here's the FAQs page on the EDP site - in Portuguese.

http://www.edp.pt/pt/particulares/faqs/ ... 3%A3o.aspx

We have a solar panel at home - provides fantastic hot water for for showers etc in the summer and we could probably improve supply and use in the winter with another panel and better angle of the panel - so the guy told us. Our panel was installed 14 years ago so am sure the technology is better now!

As for microgeneration I've heard it's quite a big investment to start so we haven't gone down that road.