disappearing books...help please

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

I can see the books on my Android smartphone.

Great idea!
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It looks lovely!

I can see them on my iphone and my desktop, using Windows 8 in either IE or Firefox. I have a laptop on Windows 7; I'll check that next time it's on for both IE and Firefox.

Just noticed some typos; in your text paragraph you have Andulucian Dawn, but the book appears to be spelt Andulusian? Where you start a sentence with lorca you have missed the Capital L.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Okay, i just had a thought and tested this. On my MAC I run a 3rd party extension called Adblock, which does what it suggests - and it is quite widely used on all platforms.

I just turned it off, refreshed your webpage, and all the images are now visible.

Blocking pop-up windows makes no difference - I get the images with it on or off.

It looks like Adblock treats your amazon links as adverts, and well - blocks them.

My understanding fails at this point, but I'm going to take a guess that there's nothing you can do to change this behaviour - others with more html knowledge might know better. It may be that all you can do is highlight the fact that if the visitor to your site is using Adblock or similar, they might like to turn it off if they want to check your books.
HTH
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Just tried the page in IE, lorca, and I can see all the books (and the 'click to set custom html' text under history).

It's very baffling :?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

GB, you're a genius. I run Adblock in Chrome too; just turned it off for lorca's site and bingo. Books are there. I could see them in IE because I don't have Adblock set up there because I never use it, if you see what I mean.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Can see everything OK using IE9 on Windows 7.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
lorca

Post by lorca »

French Cricket wrote:GB, you're a genius
Brilliant!!! GB you´re a star !!! Thank you!!!

And thanks to you all for checking.

Thanks for checking for typos too Nemo - the page isn´t finished yet but another pair of eyes is always good (BTW it should be Andalucía (in British English and Spanish - Americans spell it with an "s" for some bizarre reason....)

We can get on with finishing it now...where would we be without LMH :D :D
If not now, when?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

lorca wrote:
French Cricket wrote:GB, you're a genius
Brilliant!!! GB you´re a star !!! Thank you!!!
Er, :oops: :oops: I'm definitely not a genius! Einstein was a genius. I just like crosswords and working out how things can get broken........

Glad to help - all you need now is a solution. I don't do solutions - just the breaking bit.