Guests using their own air-con.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Vera

Guests using their own air-con.

Post by Vera »

We took a last minute booking on Saturday from an English couple already in the area, they arrived Sunday for 5 nights but paid for 7 as this is our minimum stay.
They have a 20 year old camper-van and trailer with large motor bike and generator and I must admit 1st impression was oh dear what have we done.
Anyway nice people, love our place and have the pool to themselves as our other place also has a 5 night gap.
This morning I went out fairly early as usual and saw they had connected the camper to our electric and had the air con running.
He must have heard me and turned it off, I went in and then heard him trying to get back in to the apartment but his wife had locked the door. I questioned him and he said it was too hot indoors and he had gone out at midnight to sleep in the van.
It is hot here but we only use ceiling and floor fans the same as they have.

Later he offered to pay for the usage.

We have had a good deal and I don't want to cause bad feeling.

Does anyone have any idea how much these old units cost to run?
Essar

Post by Essar »

I have had several in different motorhomes, fifth-wheels and caravans I have owner over the year, and had an aircon unit fitted to all of them.
They are usually between 1 and 3kw the majority will only run on mains - when "hooked up" - and use as much electricity as an equivalent capacity electric fan heater. Some of the older ones run on 12volts and run off the leisure battery of the vehicle (in a motorhome they have a seperate leisure battery to the "car battery"), however, they still need to be hooked up to the mains as the a/c drains the leisure battery really quickly.
If nothing else is running in the vehicle on mains then in this case the leisure battery will be trickle charged which doesn't use much as all.
An older mains a/c system will use a lot more electricity that a newer model which are more efficient than home systems.
Incidentally, leisure vehicles have fridges that can run on mains, 12v (when being towed/driven) or LPG so check this too.
Why didn't they just go to a campsite with a pool?

Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Vera

Post by Vera »

Problem over, they had a row and left for home after 3 days leaving the fridge, freezer and cupboards full of food that I'm not even sure I'd like our chickens or dog to eat.

Still our best ever earning per night ratio!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Result! :lol: :lol:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.