Cleaning Charge

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
TTP mk2

Cleaning Charge

Post by TTP mk2 »

This is our 4th year renting our gite & never had any real problems in the past but this year we have a had a succession of guests who have left the place in a disgusting state.

We don't have a separate cleaning charge & mention in the 'welcoming letter' that & we would appreciate the place being left in the same condition as they found it.

I know many impose an 'optional' cleaning charge & wonder how they operate it.

Do you have rules? 'bin liners are provided, use them' type of thing.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've been renting for 8 years and 2 months in created departure notes which I put in the villa afther the mid week clean.
It's more a guide as what we would like done; so kitchen rubbish removed, all plates and cutlery washed etc. plus explaining the cleaners need to do a quick turnaround so can't afford any delays.

For the past 2 summer's we've not bothered with it because we now go round the day before departure to just remind everyone that there's a few things they need to do on check out....however we do seem to have the odd glitch, usually kitchen stuff and so it takes us longer to do.

I used to charge for stuff; so if we had to clear the kitchen rubbish it would be £10...but I haven't done that for years now as I whacked up the rental, but if you were at the budget end I would suggest doing it.

If you do a search you'll find quite a bit in this subject.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

We're in the US so there seem to be more that add on the cleaning charge here perhaps than in Europe. We charge a separate $75 cleaning charge, all up front, we do ask on check out that they take their own trash to the garbage, make sure used dishes are washed and put away, and if they would put the used towels and sheets in the laundry room for the housekeeper. We do not charge if they don't do these things but 99% do I believe (I think I'd hear from my housekeeper if they didn't as she lets me know how things are when she gets there). Some guests seem to practically leave it as clean as when they arrive and others "want their money's worth" I think and run out the door in a hurry.

It's not been a problem charging separately, it all goes to the housekeeper I don't charge for the supplies or make money on her fee. Also, in the 3 seasons I've only had one set of guests ask if they could do the cleaning to not pay the fee. So for our location I believe it's not surprising to guests to pay a fee for it, I think all of my competitors charge at least what I charge and some charge much more.

We leave enough garbage bags as we think will be needed, usually at least one per day. Dish soap in the kitchen, we do not leave the laundry soap out because we don't ask them to clean any of the sheets or towels and I don't want to pay for them to wash their own clothes, etc...

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We have T&C that ask guests to leave the accommodation as they found it - bedding/towels and washing floors apart, of course. I put a note in the information folder in the accommodation which reminds them of the T&C and outlines that we would expect the bathrooms/loos to be cleaned, the kitchen appliances and surfaces cleaned and carpets to have been hoovered. We also ask them to clean the oven/hob and the barbeque. I make the comment that if they've cleaned up after themselves during their holiday it shouldn't be too onerous to do at the end.

If the accommodation is not left clean we have a £50 cleaning charge 'threat' to use although we've rarely had to deduct it. Some people see the 'cleaning charge' as an option and ask up front to pay it and have us do the cleaning.

We do, of course, provide all the necessary cleaning products (toilet cleaner, wipes/cloths, loo brushes, general purpose cleaner for the kitchen, scourers, washing up liquid, bin bags, hoovers etc. etc. etc. so they have all they need to do the job.

We also make it clear that if anyone smokes in the house all their damages deposit will be forfeit.

We usually have to wipe round everything and hoover corners and dust after guests but I would expect to do that and rarely has anything been left really badly.

Gillian
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I was chatting to a departing guest this morning about cleaning. She has stayed in a lot of gîtes and is never sure to what extent the cleaning should be done. In one place she cleaned everything thoroughly and the cleaning deposit was still withheld.
If you impose a cleaning deposit I think you have to be very precise in exactly what you want guests to do, and how much they will forfeit if they don't.
French guests tend to do a lot of cleaning, but I still need to do the ovens, fridge, bathrooms etc. as they are not cleaned to the standard I would expect for incoming guests. I would never trust guests to clean the gites to a high enough standard which is why I just ask for the house to be left tidy.
TTP I'm sorry you are having a season like that. I've had the opposite - it is only on rare occasions that the gîtes have been left in a mess - even my big house sleeping 12 has been surprisingly clean and tidy which isn't always the case with so many guests in one house.
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Thanks for all the replies
la vache! wrote:If you impose a cleaning deposit I think you have to be very precise in exactly what you want guests to do, and how much they will forfeit if they don't.
That's why I asked the question :lol:

We've not asked for a cleaning fee or deposit in the past as I think that people would just forfeit it & leave the place needing a deep clean at every changeover or we would have an argument over it with the guests.

I appreciate that guests will rarely clean to our standards but equally I don't expect to have to scrape s**t off all the toilets or have to jet wash the bins because they couldn't be bothered to use the bin-bags we provided either.
TTP I'm sorry you are having a season like that.
So am I, it's been a strange season but should have seen it coming after the first lot of guests in May, when we found the bedding we provided at the mid-week still folded & that their 2 teenagers had stripped their beds but not bothered to put the clean stuff back on.

We did have a German family who did leave the gite very clean but then as they had replaced almost all the crockery, glasses & oven wear at least that should have been clean but we still want to know where the cushion from a bedroom chair is.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

This year we asked for a separate cleaning deposit (60€) paid on arrival or an option to pay an extra £20-£40 (depending on the size of the gite) for end of holiday cleaning . With the exception of one family nobody has left it clean enough for the next lot of guests to move in, but it did shave 1-3 hrs off cleaning times for each place. And the families who paid for cleaning never left the gites that bad, certainly no shit all over the toilet which we have had in the past. Take up was 50/50.
We have been very lucky this year every guest we have had this summer we would welcome back with open arms! I don’t remember a year like it may it continue.
We have an etat de lieu but I don’t present it unless guests ask for it.
shazza

Post by shazza »

we offer a Pack and Go Option.if our guests opt for this,we know in advance the amount and time we would need to acheive the standard that we want.if our guests opt for a self clean,we provide all the cleaning equipment and guidelines,explaning what we require and including a guideline handout about how long this process should take.thus pricking the conscious of anyone,who may assume that just a flick over with a dirty damp cloth will suffice.we back this up with a note in the welcome book advising that if you opt for a self clean and it is not left as expected, as a cleaners services are required then the cost will be deducted from your damage deposit.
on the table in each gite complete with the welcome book is a lamanate sheet asking our guests to take time after arrival to examin the level of cleanliness and presentation,as this is what we would expect if they opt for a self clean.we have operated this system now for 2 years and it has been a great sucess,and most people pay for the cleaning service,and those that dont then we take that on the chin and in most cases the cleaning time has been reduced as they have made some effort.lets not forget the standards of both Gite owner and Gite Guests vary immensely,so what may be acceptable to one of us,may be totally unacceptable to another :lol:
always trying to keep my head above water,pray we don't have a flood!!!!
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

shazza wrote:lets not forget the standards of both Gite owner and Gite Guests vary immensely,so what may be acceptable to one of us,may be totally unacceptable to another :lol:
Very true. I wish I could maintain the same high standards of cleanliness in my own home :oops:
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
rentalagent

Post by rentalagent »

Hi there,

In Italy they have a habit of adding EVERYTHING on as extras... final cleaning, linen, check-in fees, utilities, but personally I hate that and would rather see just one price on a property including all of that. However, if a guest leaves a property in a truly disgusting state I will take that out of the security deposit. You do need to be a little flexible of course; everyone has different standards of cleanliness and especially on holiday the standards seem to be lower.

Charging extra for anything like damages or extra cleaning always leaves bad feeling between you and the departing guest so if I can I try to take it on the chin and not charge, leaving it up to karma to sort it out in the long run. However, if you really do need to charge for additional cleaning, finding out the average cost of a cleaner per hour in your area helps and then you can charge per hour for the extra work. Of course, if the extra work delays the check-in for the next guests, you can buy them a bottle of wine of similar and charge it to the departing guest explaining why it was necessary to do so.

My Villa Books all state a 10€ charge for each bag of rubbish left behind in the villa on departure and I make it clear to arriving guests that I don't want the money, I'd rather they disposed of their own rubbish but we've had to put the clause in due to previous guests leaving mountains of rubbish behind. Incoming guests always understand the charge, why it's there and don't feel it's unreasonable and almost always leave the villa rubbish-free now. If they do leave a load of waste behind though, you have warned them and to me their decision not to dispose of it themselves is basically agreeing to 10€ per bag as a service charge for cleaning up after them (although in practice I don't charge for the odd bag or two and only apply it for those who leave several huge bags of stinking rubbish behind!)

The welcome book also states that although we don't expect beds to be stripped etc, the dishwasher should be run as they leave and the fridge should be emptied. We also ask that rubbish sacks not be left in direct contact with the floors (to avoid staining of terracotta or marble etc) and that the oven and bbq grill are cleaned regularly during their stay explaining that if they don't food can bake on and become impossible to remove. Everything else I see as part and parcel of cleaning up after a rental... yes, the floors/bathroom/windows etc might be left muckier by one group than others and you might find yourself wondering how on earth anyone could possibly leave it like that, but if you have to clean them anyway, does it really matter?

Just don't make the mistake of letting your emotions get in the way... it can make you so angry to see your own property which was lovingly prepared and perfect for their arrival treated with such a lack of respect, but make sure you only charge if really necessary or your might end up with negative feedback or reviews which will in the end only add insult to injury!