To Check in... Or Not

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Circé

Post by Circé »

I think my post has been misunderstood: I agree wholeheartedly with leaving brief simple instructions (in several languages if necessary) about anything from non-mains drainage to dishwashers, but I do think that if you need to explain 'how to turn a tap on' or 'beware, our electrics are a bit funny' then maybe some upgrading of the property is needed.
rentalagent

Post by rentalagent »

Hi Circe,

I'm afraid here on my little Italian island, electricity is automatically limited to all properties and although you can apply for a special licence for more power you can only do this if your property is over a certain size and it costs a few thousand Euros. I live in a house with the normal limits on it and as long as you use electricity reasonably, it's not an issue.

I could change some taps that have the Italian C and F on them for English ones with C and H but although that would make it easier for Brits, guests from other countries would then have the same problem in reverse. You'd be amazed how many English guests call to say the boiler's broken and there's no cold water only hot because they turn on the "C" tap not realising that here "C" stands for "Caldo (hot)" not "Cold"

Quirks don't necessarily mean the house needs work or updating, just that you're in another country with a different language and different ways of doing things...
pambon

Post by pambon »

Agree with Martha and rentalagent. It was suggested to me some years ago by a departing guest that I sent the house info before arrival. Have never done it, but think I may begin to do this next year when receiving the balance.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I have them laid out nicely with local info as well, so they're enjoyable (I hope!) to read.

I think a lot of people print them to read on the journey. Ros had a great suggestion of making up some games for kids with things you see on the way, which I've always meant to do and never got round to.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
lorca

Post by lorca »

Circé wrote:I think my post has been misunderstood: I agree wholeheartedly with leaving brief simple instructions (in several languages if necessary) about anything from non-mains drainage to dishwashers, but I do think that if you need to explain 'how to turn a tap on' or 'beware, our electrics are a bit funny' then maybe some upgrading of the property is needed.
Not sure where your property is Circé - but many LMHatters have properties in remote areas where "funny" electrics etc are un-upgradable due to their location. Same goes for many not on mains water or sewage systems -the alternatives are often subject to eccentricities which city folk may well not understand.

We are on site and meet and greet for the reasons mentioned by others - also because it´s not always easy to find our properties in a village where the streets are designed for donkeys rather than cars. We don´t over-do it, but we get good feedback so I guess it works for many.

Horses for courses once more
If not now, when?
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I'm surprised at how many people think it's a 'must' either way. I don't think you can treat everyone the same although I appreciate, if you are not on site you have to come down in favour of one or the other but for those of us on site it's more about sensing the guests preference. I wasn't joking when i said some people will hide behind a crack in the door!

If we are here i always go and welcome but what form that welcome takes varies. It can be a long chat which i am itching to ectricate myself from or it can be a nod and 'we're fine thanks' and we don't see anymore of them until they hand the keys in.

I am not disturbed by this at all. I can recognise the need to be treated as an independent adult and not be 'mothered' in any way. If they have a problem they know where we are.

We once stayed somewhere where the owners were on site and we said 'never again'! the lady was lovely but the man obviously saw visitors as people he could regale with is stories of what he got upto in the Army and he would not take a hint that we were a) not interested and b)wanted to be left alone to read etc.

I think we do have to question whether what it's what we want or what the guests want from the welcome process is the predominant factor in how we do it.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
pambon

Post by pambon »

barbersdrove wrote:I'm surprised at how many people think it's a 'must' either way. I don't think you can treat everyone the same although I appreciate, if you are not on site you have to come down in favour of one or the other but for those of us on site it's more about sensing the guests preference. I wasn't joking when i said some people will hide behind a crack in the door!

If we are here i always go and welcome but what form that welcome takes varies. It can be a long chat which i am itching to ectricate myself from or it can be a nod and 'we're fine thanks' and we don't see anymore of them until they hand the keys in.

I am not disturbed by this at all. I can recognise the need to be treated as an independent adult and not be 'mothered' in any way. If they have a problem they know where we are.

We once stayed somewhere where the owners were on site and we said 'never again'! the lady was lovely but the man obviously saw visitors as people he could regale with is stories of what he got upto in the Army and he would not take a hint that we were a) not interested and b)wanted to be left alone to read etc.

I think we do have to question whether what it's what we want or what the guests want from the welcome process is the predominant factor in how we do it.

I think most of us would agree about this, whether we are on site or whether we pay someone to meet & greet. Basically the welcome is played by ear, but as has been pointed out above, many properties do have idiosychronies (sp?) which need pointing out willy nilly.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I've read all this with great interest. We have our own gites on our property, look after a house very close by and 'manage' bookings for a house 30 minutes away.

I meet and greet and 'welcome' my guests here and give them a quick run down of us and other stuff they need to know. I then explain it's all written down and leave them to it with "you know where we are if you need anything". Guests for the house close by come to us for the key and I take them to the house and give them a quick rundown, check if they have any immediate questions/concerns, show them the 'information folder' and leave them to it. Some contact us again for something, others don't.

The house 30 minutes away is completely independent. Guests arrive and collect the key from a hiding place and are on their own save for the information in the house and a contact 'phone number.

Personally, I feel it is important for guests on my own property to know who I am and that I have a husband and two teenagers as they will 'bump' in to us around the place. On the odd occasion my guests have had guests arriving during their holiday I have felt very uncomfortable about not introducing myself/being introduced to the newcomers. I think they should know who I am and I should know who they are - me/they could be anyone wandering around!

I do think it helps with everything if guests can put a face to the name - it makes it clear there is a person who owns the property and the things and not just a 'business' taking their money.

Gillian
pambon

Post by pambon »

Yes, as Gillianf mentioned about bumping into guests while out and about, this does happen and we always stop and chat.

And for on-site owners I agree with her statement:
I do think it helps with everything if guests can put a face to the name - it makes it clear there is a person who owns the property and the things and not just a 'business' taking their money.