Should I compensate for Wi-Fi not being available to guests?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Shinnie

Should I compensate for Wi-Fi not being available to guests?

Post by Shinnie »

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on guests currently coming to the end of a 2 week stay in our house; unfortunately our internet access was cut off shortly before their arrival, and France Telecom are slow to restore it (very painful problem of Direct Debit either not being set up or being rejected by my Bank. English-speaking Customer Service varying from very helpful to impossibly arrogant, depending on who I happen to get on the day!).
So for their entire 2 week stay they haven't had Wi-Fi, and it was being well managed by our Property Manager - who very nicely allowed them to access internet from her house.
She also dropped up a bottle of wine to apologise on my behalf and explain how much I was trying to do to get the line restored!
As they are leaving shortly, I am wondering if, when I return the deposit, I should include an additional amount, as a "gesture", say €30, or should I just leave it - have I done enough to apologise for the inconvenience, or should they be compensated?
If so, what is an appropriate amount, in your opinion.
Your advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Shinnie.
Mas Nialgue

Post by Mas Nialgue »

Hi Shinnie,

I am no stranger to internet problems in France and find the service apalling, the costs extortionate and the attitude of the companies unbelievable. It is one of the few things that makes me happy when I return to the UK!

I always like to give a token gesture when things don't go as planned, and it seems to go down very well with clients and hopefully will pay dividends in future. I would have said 30-50 euros depending on to what extent they complained, whether they beat you down in price etc etc.

As I have said here before, for some clients internet access is a major reason for choosing a property.

Steve
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Presumably you don't guarantee the availability of the wifi?

With these sort of situations I'm slightly uncomfortable about offering financial compensation - how do you put a value on it, and what message does it send?
I think a gesture of some sort is preferable; your Manager has already dropped them a bottle of wine, and been good enough to allow them to use her internet connection - maybe that's enough, or maybe you could organise delivery of another bottle, or something else. Either way, a sincere apology in a follow-up is worth more than a few euros - it shows that you genuinely care, rather than just "buying off" the issue. So an apology, explaining how you're working to rectify the situation, doesn't help this time of course but hope to see you again etc etc. If you normally offer returning guests a discount, that's the point to mention it!
Shinnie

Post by Shinnie »

Steve,

Thanks for the sympathy about dealing with telecoms companies in France - this issue has been ongoing since I got the line last November, and each (expensive) call to Customer Services reassures me slightly, until the next time the line is cut off...

Greenbarn,

Thanks for advice on compensation - I'm now thinking that offering a discount on a return visit might be a better option, rather than a seemingly token financial amount now.

Just to clarify, when these guests booked last summer, I didn't have internet access, so it can't have been THAT important; however I think they were inconvenienced with planning of day trips, etc.
I had given them a very good price when they booked, and they were very nice people to deal with.

Shinnie. :x
Mas Nialgue

Post by Mas Nialgue »

In the circumstances I don't think a refund is worthwhile, it obviously wasn't advertised when they booked and you let them have it for a good price, so what you have done is enough.

Greenbarn, to me it is not a question of 'guarantees,' if I advertise that something is available it should be, and if it is not I think it is only right to compensate. I do all of the things you mention AND give a token refund with the deposit if it is something which may have disturbed their enjoyment of the property.

The message it sends is that you are not all about pocketing their money but do really care, and guests have said that this was 'a wonderful gesture' and that they were 'incredibly touched' by it, which for me speaks for itself.

As rates in season are nearly £2,000 per week I can do this when necessary without feeling too much pain, and to me it is well worthwhile.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I really can't 'guarantee' internet access and clearly say so in terms and conditions, and the arrival instructions. Wifi can be damaged by storms, floods, and heavy snowfall in winter.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Agree with HelenB. I cannot guarantee everything so I include similar about the Wi-Fi and TV in my t&cs. I also state that I cannot be held responsible for the temporary malfunction of any electrical equipment but will replace or repair as soon as possible once notified.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I too have that covered in my T&Cs...and in fact as we both work from home it would probably hurt us as much if not more than any guest.
So I wouldn't give compensation but would assured them I was working as hard as possible to solve the issue but would also give a gesture of goodwill as you've already done so Shinnie (or your excellent agent has!)

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Shinnie

Post by Shinnie »

Thanks all for your very valuable input. Time to update my T&C's I think - very good advice. I find the "remote management" of a holiday rental very stressful when there's an issue that I have no direct control over!

Shinnie.
rentalagent

Post by rentalagent »

I totally agree. My T&C's cover things like that so strictly I'm not liable. However, the bottle of wine is a great gesture, especially if you told them before they arrived that there was an issue with the wifi. Although it does absolutely nothing to change the situation, I always find that guests who have been pre-warned are more likely to shrug these things off with a smile than guests who arrive to find on the day that things aren't quite as they expected.

Here in Italy, you can get USB or even portable wifi devices if you need them. I run several properties so always keep a couple in stock just in case (it is Italy after all!). The best deal I've found costs 89€ for the device and then 20€ for 10GB of wifi traffic so not a huge outlay and they have saved me much more than that in compensation payments over the years! If you're only running one property they might not be so cost-effective but are worth keeping in mind

Re compensation, although (depending on your T&C's) you shouldn't be liable, I do find it's better, more pleasant and less stressful to make a pre-emptive strike by offering something small and relatively cheap to a guest before they leave than deal with a disgruntled client over email following their return. 9 times out of 10 they're more relaxed on holiday, but once they hit the office again on Monday morning and their stress levels are through the roof after catching up on 2 weeks of work, all bets are off!

Rather than offer money (which I loathe as a form of compensation, it's so impersonal and guests and owners always have very different ideas of what constitutes reasonable financial compensation), I offer to book sunbeds on a local beach for a day (approx 20€) so they have a lovely relaxing day "on me", or maybe a masseur to come and give them a 1 hour treatment (approx 50€) at the villa. They have no idea what the cost is, because I have good contacts with local suppliers I get discounted rates so they think I've spent much more than I actually have AND they find it relaxing and that it adds real "value" to their holiday so it's win-win all round and happy days! :D
Shinnie

Post by Shinnie »

Hi all

Well thanks for your help, advice, and opinons. I emailed them a short while ago and offered them a "generous discount off a future stay", again apologising for inconvenience.

Here is their reply.....
Had a wonderful time and not to worry about not having internet access as we were able to go to McDonalds. The villa was delightful and R....(property manager) was divine and so helpful to us. Thanks for ur kind offer and will definitely give consideration to it if not next year most certainly the following one

I'm so pleased....This really is a great forum. :D
rentalagent

Post by rentalagent »

PERFECT result... well done you! :D