Returning guests want to book but being awkward.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Hells Bells

Returning guests want to book but being awkward.

Post by Hells Bells »

We've had a Parisian family staying at the apartment in the February holidays for the past 4 years. Each time there has been something that wasn't quite 'right' for them, no complaints about the apartment, but on one occasion they asked to delay paying the deposit until September, another they asked to arrive at the apartment at 9am, and on another to stay an 8th night. The latter request was last season and was possible only because we had a Fri-Fri booking for the previous (off-peak) week. ( I originally offered her 7 nights Sat-Sat or 7 nights Sun-Sun). For some reason this year she has decided to contact my apartment manager to book via her.I think she may have wanted a larger apartment, but probably doesn't want to pay the extra cost.
M has already indicated she won't charge me her usual commission.
I have offered her 7 nights, price is 50€ per week more than last winter, although I may have given her a small discount last time. She's also asking me to change my own holiday dates to accommodate her request for 8 nights, and to supply her with a microwave. I've already accommodated her 7 night booking request by deciding to book into a hotel for one night. We will then be able to get into the apartment as soon as they leave on the Saturday morning. I'm not doing it for a second night though, as it means I can't get at my ski gear for the first two days.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Whilst we all want to be flexible to please guests sometimes we just have to stick to our guns. The more you give now the more likely they are to push in the future. If it were me I would draw the line now.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

is this an easy period to rent Helen? If so I'd say thanks but no thanks and leave her with Mel (who btw I would suggest shouldn't be charging you anyway if she was previously your guest).

If it's not an easy period to sell then you have a choice; say no and possibly lose her, or put yourself out to keep her happy.

I wouldn't do it. Personally I'm getting to the point where I have a line well and truely drawn and I won't step over it. This year I've said a polite no to 2 bookings because of the hassle factor.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I'm all for accommodating guests but you also need to accommodate your own wishes and requirements. I wouldn't be 'bossed' by them, personally.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mouse wrote:is this an easy period to rent Helen? If so I'd say thanks but no thanks and leave her with Mel (who btw I would suggest shouldn't be charging you anyway if she was previously your guest).

If it's not an easy period to sell then you have a choice; say no and possibly lose her, or put yourself out to keep her happy.

I wouldn't do it. Personally I'm getting to the point where I have a line well and truely drawn and I won't step over it. This year I've said a polite no to 2 bookings because of the hassle factor.

Mouse
x
A very easy period as it is the last week of the Paris holidays. Thing is in the past when I've dealt with her, she's been demanding but when I haven't been able to accommodate her wishes, and have suggested alternatives, she's usually been OK. I know M doesn't like her that much so I'm wondering if she has let that get in the way a bit.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I should probably have insisted that M ask her to deal with me direct.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

M is forwarding her emails . Appears she is 'angry' that the price is more than I charged her last year, and again asking that maybe I will delay my own arrival. TBH I would never suggest to guests that my own holiday was getting in the way of the booking, just that the dates weren't available.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I did that just the other day and as soon as I put the phone down i regretted telling her that we were off on our own holiday. I'm not sure why but it did seem inappropriate.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think by saying it is your own holiday, you may be put under pressure to alter your dates. In this case, we have bookings after our stay which means I can't lengthen it at the other end.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

When you're working hard, holidays are precious no matter who you are Helen. So I would simply explain that.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mousey, I suspect she won't be quite as 'awkward' when I deal with her myself, and we may even be able to come to a compromise that suits us both.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mrs Parisienne has now contacted me directly, but made no mention that she had been in touch with M. I've offered her the same prices for 7 nights, and also some 8 night alternatives for the previous week which is also Paris holidays. I doubt she will get anyone else offering to be so flexible during one of the busiest weeks of the ski season.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Well after several days of deliberation, she's decided to book, Sat to Sat. She hasn't even had the courtesy to reply to the email she sent me, and has asked M to book it for her. Oh, and she's off on holiday, so I suspect M won't get the deposit until after she gets back.
Ah well, M will have to deal with her demands now.