How do you deal with your (potentially) returning guests?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Beachcondo

How do you deal with your (potentially) returning guests?

Post by Beachcondo »

This is the first season that we have rented our guesthouse in Sweden.
Out of every 3 staying families, 2 have expressed that they would like to return.

We have said: "We'd be happy to have you!" and haven't thought more about it. Today I got a request for next summer (from somewone who hasn't stayed before), and don't know how to respond.

How do you do it?
First come, first serve?
Have a deadline before which you don't release the dates for new renters?
Have a deadline before which you don't release the dates to anyone?

We are also raising our prices next year, and don't know how our guests will react to that. The new price is already on our ads, so to a new renter, that is no surprise.
Last edited by Beachcondo on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm afraid I do a first come, first served approach. I know this has meant that some guests have missed out but I also know that many people who say they want to come back, don't (for whatever reason).
Who knows what the next season will be like.

Up to Christmas I run an offer where people can book for next summer with only a 10% deposit (normally I take 50%) so this should make it easier...but many leave it until too late and miss out (even though I give them a gentle nudge by saying we often take quite a few bookings before xmas).

I think some of the people running gites in France who know they can sell the school holidays 10 times over block out the dates until January.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

If guests have clearly stated that they'd like to return the following year at a particular time, it might just be courteous to give them a heads up that you're about to let that period go, in say 24 hours. However, if they were serious, why haven't they done anything about it already?

The majority of our guests indicate that they'll be back, some return the next year, some a couple of years later, some we haven't seen again (yet).

If your previous guests weren't seriously talking about returning on particular dates, I'd just go ahead with the new enquiry; it's too easy to miss a booking because of the "what if" monkey on your back.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

In Florida we do first come, first serve, except for "snowbirds" - people staying for a month or more in spring.
They can rebook the same period next year within 2 weeks of their arrival.

Our guesthouse is on such a small scale, with a very short season, and we are on site. Therefore we feel a bit more obligated to our renters, and it is also more important that we get along with them as we share the garden and boat, canoes and bikes.

But I don't want to commit myself if it turns out that I miss out due to that.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I take it that the 'returners' actually gave you specific dates, Beachcondo?

If so, I would be inclined to email them or ring them straight away and ask them if it is definite and if so you will be sending them the contract/request for deposit or whatever you normally do, explaining that you have someone else waiting for an answer on the dates. Quote them your 2013 price. Ask them to please come back to you by return (as you were not quite sure they had meant it was definite or something...).

As Greenbarn says, I would only give them a day as the other people might lose interest and go elsewhere. Explain to group 2 that group 1 said they would like to come for those dates as they departed but you have not heard from them since but there is a good chance they may change the dates - that will give them an incentive to hang in there for 24 hours or so.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Last couple to say that they want to return left yesterday,
so I feel a bit bad about breathing down their necks when the summer season isn't even over.

None have stated a firm date for 2013, just a general wish, But the ones who have said that they will return are long time returning visitors to Sweden (20+ years) and I am sure that they are quite serious.

The enquiry I got was in a non-commital tone and I don't expect it to convert any time soon, so I have told them that I will have to come back to them once I know how I will do.

I am interested in your strategies. I know some wait until Jan 1st to release the summer dates for newcomers.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I regularly take at least one booking 2 years ahead of arrival. They still have to pay 50% deposit, in return if give them current year's prices - you certainly need to have next year's prices in place by August this year latest as those wanting school holiday dates start to book then.

You need to make it clear to people who want to return that a booking means booking form in and deposit paid. If they want their choice of property and dates they have to book asap. That's the deal.
Montana

Post by Montana »

We tend to have repeat bookers for New Year and Half Term weeks, as they always sell first. To secure the property - even a year in advance - we need a completed booking form and deposit which is non-refundable. For a prompt rebook (for example, this year's half term guests booked the same peak week next year, whilst still in the chalet! The deposit arrived within a week of their return home) we try to keep this year's price.

However, if - as in your scenario Beachcondo - it's been a "we'd love to come back sometime" type of comment, and you have other interest, I'd drop them a line advising that you are already getting enquiries for peak weeks next year, and if they'd like to secure the house, can they confirm with a deposit and booking form. It's unrealistic for a guest to expect you to knock back other bookings or potentials, without any commitment on their part, and they will probably recognise that.
Acid corrodes the vessel.........
elena

Post by elena »

Last week three of the families who left want to book for the same time next year - one family have been 3 times, one twice and the other was here for the first time this year. The 3 times family want to change gites this time which clashes with the first time family and the 2nd time family want to make sure they can come at the same time as the 3rd time family... :? Today someone who is leaving on Saturday say the would like to provisionally book the same two weeks for next year.... It's a good problem to have but I can see it all becoming quite complicated.

As most of our bookings start flooding in in Jan/Feb and since our turnover year runs from Jan to Jan we have up until now just provisionally blocked the weeks and then confirmed with deposit etc early Jan.

This year I think we'll do the same but if anyone else wants to definitely book the dates we'll get back to the provisionals to give first refusal and then finalise the definite bookings with a c/c number as security.

I suppose I should be firmer & ask for a small non refundable deposit from anyone wanting to hold peak weeks but we turn away so many people for mid July to mid August I don't think it's a huge problem ...yet!

Elena

Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
join Les Crouquets on Facebook – if you like us, please like us!!
Ju

Post by Ju »

We have always done first come first served. We regularly book summer weeks up more than 12 months in advance. All bookings have the same T+Cs whether they are returners or not - including 25% deposit to secure the booking.

Returning guests get a nice note from us saying how pleased we will be to see them again.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had guests who came every February for 4 years, each time they booked immediately on their return from that years holiday, and I retained the security deposit as a fee for the following year. Come year 5, they decided to book again, but then cancelled later in the year. I had already turned down requests in Jan 11 for Fenb 12. They requested their deposit back as they were good customers etc etc. I held onto it until I got another booking as it was only a couple of weeks before they were due to pay the balance when they cancelled. Fortunately the new booking came within a couple of days of putting the dates back online, but it could have been very different if it was a less popular week in the ski season. So now it is first come first served, and with a proper non-refundable deposit. I've got short break guests who I contacted out of courtesy a few weeks ago because they always want particular dates (Wed-Sun) and my calendar for that time was booking up quickly. I had to disappoint them last year, and they were keen to come, but I've heard nothing since and I suspect by the time they get round to it we will be booked again