No patience!!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
joddle

Post by joddle »

It's easy to create a PDF file from any other format with one of the free PDF writers - I use CutePDF. You simply 'print' your document to it and it saves in PDF format. Mind you, I wonder if one of the problems with documents is that so many people use smartphones now, and they're not always set up to receive documents or attachments.
Agreed - but not all people will be so computer savvy to download an app to help them - they will simply use what they already have installed on their systems - so I think if you don't have a pdf writer or don't feel like downloading a freebie - then keeping it simple is the best way. RTF can be read by almost anything on any platform.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Certainly wouldn't expect prospective guests to do all that - I meant that it's easy for us to create PDF files!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

French Cricket wrote:But why oh why would you phone a maison d'hôtes that you know serves dinner to guests at .... dinner time? :evil:
Well, duh... because your staff are taking care of the cooking and serving. Aren't they?

:wink: I've now lost count of the number of larger parties who are amazed that we don't have at least a waitress and a washer-upper. Well, we do, of course - us. Phoning during HR is a routine French thing, though.
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

joddle wrote:
It's easy to create a PDF file from any other format with one of the free PDF writers - I use CutePDF. You simply 'print' your document to it and it saves in PDF format. Mind you, I wonder if one of the problems with documents is that so many people use smartphones now, and they're not always set up to receive documents or attachments.
Agreed - but not all people will be so computer savvy to download an app to help them - they will simply use what they already have installed on their systems - so I think if you don't have a pdf writer or don't feel like downloading a freebie - then keeping it simple is the best way. RTF can be read by almost anything on any platform.
Most recent (i.e. last few years) word processing programmes (e.g. Microsoft Word) now allow you to directly save documents as PDFs. I tend to send both an older Word version (i.e. doc rather than docx) along with a PDF copy of the same document for booking forms, directions etc. whilst asking if any other format is required. I haven't, to date, needed to send any other formats.
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

joddle wrote:The first is one of 24 hour availabiity - and I for one don't think anyone should have to be available at any time of day or night to answer an enquiry. However, if we are advertising our properties and give a phone number then some people may regard that as an invitation to enquire when they want however unreasonable that may seem to others! (or may be from another time zone and not think of the time they calling!) - so my suggestion would be rather then ignore calls after a certain time, have an answer machine message stating thanks for the enquiry, no one is available right now and but please leave a mesasage and someone will call back after x am in the morning.

Good idea re answering machine but if that is not suitable (e.g. as it would affect personal calls), perhaps it is about setting the expectations of potential guests - why not state your availability hours on your site?
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Normandie wrote:Phoning during HR is a routine French thing, though.
But they are always very polite, non? "Je vous dérange?" is always the first thing they say. But as I don't provide meals (generally) or eat lunch, the HR calls don't really bother me!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

True, LV, they always do say that. Doesn't stop them though, does it? :lol:

I don't mind at lunchtime because that's not an HR to me as I don't do lunch either. But dinner is always sacred, guests or no guests, and I have a metaphorical 'do not disturb' sign up.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

la vache! wrote:But they are always very polite, non? "Je vous dérange?" is always the first thing they say.
Yes! And a couple of times it has deranged me, I've explained why and I have taken their details and called them back and they have been appreciative of that.

I don't mind HR calls either - unless I'm involved with guests and then the answerphone takes the call. I don't have a separate business line though and evening tends to be when my elderly mother calls so unless it is dinner with paying guests (as opposed to friends) I always answer.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Two different lots of French guests arriving this weekend..driving down, but neither seems able to give us even an approximate time of arrival (sometime in the afternoon/evening :roll: )

I´ll lay bets that whatever H they arrive, it´ll be sure to be while we´re in the middle of our R...
If not now, when?
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

I just realized that some guests tell me that they cant open a .doc to fill in for a reservation request but when I send all of the Welcome Packet in .doc format they never seem to have a problem opening it up?

Go figure??
Kate
USA
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

If it is any comfort, here's some experience from a commercial agency.

We often find people ringing us up and saying they want a cottage on a particular date. We then ask for how many are to stay etc. and when they wish to leave.

They then expect us to do the search for them whilst on the phone and then to list all the 'deals'. When we say we have to contact owners they begin to get irritated.

In one case, at 10.00 pm on a Sunday night, I slipped a little and said that they should do the search first and then tell us which cottages they liked and then we could contact the owners.

The caller was so angry that he rang back and gave us a torrent of abuse. He then sent an e-mail that is sufficiently interesting that it will be incorporated into a training manual.

It seems it was our duty to search and lay out all the 'deals' for them to judge. We tried to explain that ringing up ten or more owners to seek special deals on the off chance they may like their cottage was not a fair way of proceeding.

We do charge commission to owners, so it is all part of our job. I suppose, the comfort is that keeping this sort of call away from a home owner can be quite a service. It is true that difficult enquirers are becoming more frequent.

Of course, I should not have slipped. All callers should be treated with the same care and respect and I often disprove my initial misgivings when a 'difficult enquiry' turns into an amicable and happy booking.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

It seems to me that this year we have found that guests (both during their stay as well as their post stay comments) to be MUCH more demanding and expecting much more in the line of amenities. Is is my imagination or did guests in the past seem to be more appreciative of the little things. Anyone else AGGREE/DISAGREE

As the stock markets rises a bit, I have recently found myself second guessing the value of the rental income.

Whether it is ......the guest, my age or the length of time I have been at this VR business .....I have found this to be the year of the "fussy guest"
and while I am at it :-) another pet peeve ...... potential guests who never read the ad.

thanks for letting me vent this today!!
Kate
USA
Marks

Post by Marks »

Kathleen wrote:Is is my imagination or did guests in the past seem to be more appreciative of the little things. Anyone else AGGREE/DISAGREE
I agree. Only a small thing but if I knew there was a birthday, anniversary, celebration etc I would leave cava, wine, chocs and a card as appropriate. I've stopped bothering as no-one now says thank you. I'm not worried about a few Euros but some recognition of my efforts would be appreciated.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

That's why I stopped doing the Welcome pack Marks, so now I do get comments like "milk for a cuppa would've been nice". But in 6 years I only had one recognition of the baguettes, butter, milk, cheeses, jam, pate and OJ. :roll: They still get the wine though and a card for birthdays etc.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

KathyG wrote: But in 6 years I only had one recognition of the baguettes, butter, milk, cheeses, jam, pate and OJ.
Kathy, did your advertising say that the welcome pack was included in the rental rate?

Initially I left a bottle of champagne for all guests in lieu of wine, but after a series of guests came and went and I'd only had one thank you I soon stopped that! Actually, one guest said she preferred still wine ...

Now it's only returning guests for whom I do this.

I never get thanked either for the welcome packs but don't attach any importance to it, except that we leave small gifts now as well as the items they'd expect, and it would be nice if guests remembered on their return and thanked us for those little touches.

However by then, the memories they take back are about the fun things they did on that holiday, rather than their arrival day and that's probably the key.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be