B&B & Children

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Mas Nialgue

B&B & Children

Post by Mas Nialgue »

Had a look through but couldn't find anything on this previously.

I am single and have little experience with children, but I see many people don't accept young kids.

I don't specify minimum ages for self-catering lets, but do advise clients with very young children to think carefully about supervision in 65 mountainous acres with a large pool! I advised one couple who wanted to rent the house just for the two of them and two under fours that it was not suitable for them, as the chances of the kids escaping and injuring themselves were too high. If there were more adults then no problem.

I am likely to be offering B&B in future on a fairly small scale and wasn't going to put a minimum age on children. No cots provided by me, which should deal with most bed wetting concerns, they can take those with them!

Am I mad and what are your views/experiences?
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I don't accept kids under the age of 11 though I will accept babies.

House is set into a steep hillside with lots of loose gravel paths, no large flat areas to facilitate running around or ball games, steep drops off terraces not all of which are fenced to 1m, steep and narrow steps, deep, unfenced ponds... I just don't want to find myself exchanging Christmas cards with the staff at our local Urgences.

Sometimes parents argue the toss, especially in August, but I'm inflexible and occasionally they agree that I'm probably right as they want to be able to relax, not spend the whole time monitoring where little children are. It does lose me business in July and August, though - simple as that.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

it is quite simple for me: the top room has just enough space for a small baby cot (which i can provide, it's foldable and easy to store) and the other room has NO space for anything else than 'normal' suitcases. i once wasn't aware of the age of a child from spain, both rooms were booked for 3 grown-ups plus the child through their dutch local friends. so i made all the beds, supposing the 'child' was sharing the room with a grown-up.

she was barely three! and... slept in the bed of her parents! (the other person was an elderly lady, though 'lady'...)

she wetted the bed the first night, though she was wearing nappies during the night, but took them off (mom under the shower, dad just getting sth out of the car...) and 'played' on the bed... i didn't even know she slept in that bed!!! (maybe i was a bit naive, 2 years ago...? and dutch children NEVER sleep in the parental beds! bad nightmare... okay, but not permanently)

so my rule is: kids - okay. babies - fine. if the parents agree the kids can safely sleep on the top floor and can manage stairs well: fine, if they're over 5! also because the windows in that particular room, cannot be locked...

talking about locks: the little girl got herself locked up in the bathroom... i've posted about that situation earlier ;)

i think many parents are not aware of the risks in a property they do not know and the 'holiday modus' they slip into, after arrival...
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

B&B netherlands wrote:i think many parents are not aware of the risks in a property they do not know and the 'holiday modus' they slip into, after arrival...
That's the point, I think. One family patiently explained that they too lived on a hill and their kids played outside all the time. That's their home ground, their well-known territory and is different, I equally patiently explained... :wink:
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

@normandie
exactly. many years ago, husband and i with the boys - then 7 and 9, both having the usual diplomas as dutch children start swimming lessons very early - once stayed for 3 days in a lovely property we booked through an agency (twas before the internet...) in the UK with a swimmingpool! boys very very excited... until the owner explained he couldn't allow them to get in... 'only for grown-ups and children over 12 years old', even if mom and dad went in at the same time!

the pool was too deep for smaller children... and he was scared stiff something would happen.

the next day his wife explained us why he was so strong about his 'NO'. a few years before, an unattended 7 year old jumped in (couldn't swim?) and drowned... parents hadn't noticed him leaving the safe area for children.

a nightmare for owners and parents.

my boys understood.
aasta

Post by aasta »

We have now decided to not accept children under 12 beginning end of the summer. We will still accept babies (we have a cot and all the bedding) . And though we are parents and grandparents, we find that families with younger children as just too much work. And often we get parents who do not supervise their children properly around the pool etc....much too nervewracking and we just do not have the time to be playing Nanny too.
aasta
Mas Nialgue

Post by Mas Nialgue »

Thanks for your responses.

As the house is normally let self-catering for July/August, excluding children for B&B won't affect bookings. If it is SC then it is totally their responsibility as I won't be on site.

I think the two key points are:
1. Lack of supervision by Parents - shift of responsibility to me
2. Extra work and possible disturbance for other guests or me if there are young children running around

I'll take your advice and exclude children between 1 and 12 years old for B&B.

Thanks

Steve
Naj

B&B and children

Post by Naj »

When we first started out we accepted all ages and loved welcoming families with young children. We soon learnt that it wouldn't work as most parents thought it was ok for their children to run around the breakfast room, shout and scream, stand on chairs, thump up and down stairs etc.

We saw how our guests were reacting and felt very uncomfortable. Such a shame we had to change our policy.

We recently agreed for regular guests to bring their 'well behaved' grandchildren who assured us they 'know how to behave in a B&B, so don't worry'. Their description of well behaved was very different from ours!
Tis Devon, glorious Devon