Babies/Toddlers - what do you supply?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Being a full service luxury accommodation provider we also provide a grumpy adolescent on request on condition he is not returned.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It's my year for requests for things I don't have (yoga mats, child step, discounted club tickets etc)

Anyway I need help!
Just been asked by someone coming in September for (copied from email):
1. A steriliser for bottles etc
2. A cot with mosquito net
3. A high chair, preferably not a wooden one, he's goin to be 11 month sold when we arriveso something that would suit that age possibly.

I don't have a steriliser and have never been asked for one. I don't even know what they are tbh. Do I need to provide one - if so I'd have to buy it...and I'm loath to do that if I've only had 1 request in 8 years.
I have cots but none with mosquito nets...so are they special? Do I have to put a screw in the ceiling to suspend them from? And if so how would I know which ceiling and which spot the cot will be in.
I supply a wooden IKEA highchair and also their white plastic one. Again, no complaints...would they not do for an 11mth?? I think my neighbour has one of those heavy, padded things with a trap attached...would that be better?

Thanks for any help.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Mouse wrote:It's my year for requests for things I don't have ... he's goin to be 11 month sold
Mousie x
I would ask them what price he was sold for :lol: and tell them to get their own or offer to buy them at their expense - if they want to be demanding (and can't spell) then they should naturally pay for their "extras". They can certainly bring a bottle steriliser with them - they are just being too precious by half.

I don't think you need a ceiling hook, as a cot mosquito net should just fit over the cot, so that's an easy option.

Do you get mossies there then, Mousie? In Languedoc the Govt sprays the wetlands every year and they are not a problem.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Not really Mols...they spray here too.
Plus we provide plug-ins which ensure that the rooms stay mosquito-free when used so I'm hoping that will suffice.

I've never seen a mosquito net for a cot...so it's a new one on me.

Having just googled, it appears at Amazon you can buy 'steriliser' bags for the microwave which can fit up to 2 bottles and accessories and be used up to 20 times. Only cost £4.99. So that sounds an option.

Mouse (always learning)
x
Last edited by Mouse on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Mouse wrote:I've never seen a mosquito net for a cot
I was told my mom used her own bridal veil...
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Yes Mousie, we do try to accommodate our guests' demands (as long as they don't cost us too much!) but there is always a line to be drawn somewhere.

Your Amazon find sounds ideal, but if I were you, I would tell them that is what you are willing to supply, and if they want more they should either bring their own or pay you for the "bells and whistles" equivalent (they can make their choice from Amazon for delivery to you). Sorts them, I should think?

Mols :wink:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Sound words Mols. Thanks.

Mousie
x
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

i don't know what the 'feeding habits' of an 11 month old are in the country your guests come from: but in the netherlands most kids that age, are not bottle fed anymore! but the steriliser bags sound like a good option.

concerning the mosquito net: an 11 month old will be able to pull himself up in his cot, unless you are able to lower the cot's bottom and mattress, a loose cover will not do, i'm afraid, even with gaffer tape - he or she will pull it of. kids that age are very resourceful! i also supply those mosquito plug-ins, and a 'fly killer' like this:

http://www.blokker.nl/webapp/wcs/stores ... tId=102102

best advice is to tell the parents to shut the window(s) before they put on any light at night. a group of guests recently left the bathroom window open after showering at night and forgot to switch off the light... next morning when i checked before they got up - hundreds of mosquitos!!! i got rid of most by using the shower head vigorously, except for the ones grinning at me from the ceiling...
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

I think the majority of babies in the UK still drink from bottles at 11 months. By that age, many will drink water from a lidded cup, but often still have milk from a bottle. It varies between babies too - my eldest son gave up the bottle entirely and used a cup from about 10 months, whereas my toddler who is 22 months still drinks his milk from a bottle.

As bottles etc should be sterilised until the age of 1, the guests probably don't want to have to bring their own bulky steriliser with them. I provide a microwave steriliser which is fairly compact and I used for all of my own children.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003P9WSVC/r ... B003P9WSVC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

For babies, a hand held blender ...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have the same steriliser as Jenny in all my gîtes. And hand held blenders. I would assume that your guests just want a net over the cot, I've never heard of a cot supplied with a net.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If you have a dishwasher, you don't really need to sterilise bottles at all, just run them through a dishwasher cycle.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

You are forgetting the "precious" angle, Helen! Consign their treasure's bottle to a "dirty" dishwasher (!) ? Impossible!

Mols :lol: :lol: :lol:
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Current advice in France is not to sterilise at all! Ever! But I bought a second hand microwave steamer on Le Boncoin for 1€. They are bulky to store though.

Precious darling you have coming. Good luck.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

mols i would NEVER advise to wash baby bottles in dishwashers! even my half liter bottles i use to bring my guests orange juice in the morning, are 'hand sterilised' (hot water from the kettle, works like a dream)

i remember sterilising bottles for my newly born eldest in 1975 - glass bottles. microwaves didn't exist, no 'thingies' on electricity, no nothing. my mum told me to get a large 5 liter pan, add boiling water (no electric kettles then...) and 2-3 spoons of soda, presto! (rinse with tapwater after that)

it cost me some bottles. so i changed to the bad plastic ones, then available. alas, deformed badly using the same process...

after which i decided (with a husband with 2 left hands, also having to feed the baby...) that rinsing with boiling water and preparing half a dozen bottles in advance stored in the fridge, was the only option.

mind you: in the university hospital this one was born, they fed the babies with bottles straight from the fridge - not warmed up! talking about the 'precious' angle...

wallypot, just read your post - indeed, my son and DIL in paris are NOT sterilising for their newborn baby (nor use the dishwasher). the dutch doctors gave such an advice ages ago already to prevent babies to not get used to a completely sterile environment and 'pick up' normal bacterial infections which the body handles quite well and will prevent repeats. we didn't have child care centers then, where most babies nowadays are brought after 6 weeks, so will meet more 'germs' than in a home environment with absolute sterility... which seems the best way to keep a baby prepared for 'the outside world'. my grandson will have a maroccan caretaker in a few weeks as DIL needs to get back to her self employed job.

babies are 'precious'. both my grandmothers had 13 and 9...