Buying a new ski apartment

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
MaxineR

Buying a new ski apartment

Post by MaxineR »

Hi all, we've decided to take the plunge and invest in a second ski property in the Zell am See/Kaprun area of Austria to rent out.

It's new build project and we're able to have some say in the apartment layout, so I just wanted to get a feel from you all as to what you think would work best in terms of bedroom layout and space.....

a) 2 x ok sized double bedrooms plus 1 x single bedroom but with a bunkbed in it - this gives a bit more space for the open plan living/dining area
or
b) 3 x smallish sized double bedrms

One room will have an en suite and there will be a main bathroom too. From our limited experience of our current apartment we bought 6 months ago we have had bookings from both mixed groups of friends and also families with young children so I just wanted to set it out in the best way possible to maximise rentals. For a ski property would you put a sofabed in the living area? I personally think space would be too tight to accommodate 8 people in a 3 bed apartment of approx 85 sq m.

Thanks
Maxine
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I'd go for 2 doubles plus single. I have a sofa bed in my own apartment but it is only one bedroom. If you think that you might use it yourself for a family gathering put a sofa bed in. 2 bathrooms among 8 people is a reasonable ratio. I would only advertise it for 6 though.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Same response as to the last question like this: the number you sleep should equal the number who can sit to eat and sit to relax. This is marginally less important for ski accommodation where people seem prepared to sleep in layers, but you must get summer bookings down there too?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I agree Margaret, you need to be able to sit down and eat too, so if living space is large enough that's fine. I've never been prepared to sleep in layers on a ski holiday, but I know plenty who do in preference to a comfortable sofa bed, even though they were mature couples. [/list]