and now, this morning, this...

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Blimey - talk about persistant. She sounds nuerotic, I suspect if she did stay you'd have problems anyway. Best out of it I think!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Quite frankly she sounds a little unbalanced. Even had you bent further backwards and agreed to her coming I think you are better off without her. I feel bad vibes on this ie: trouble.

Good for you!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Gosh kyreniagirl, great minds think alike - our posts crossed!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Sadly, I'm now thinking MH issues. I know - it's wrong to remark like that based on casual second hand input... but it's one thing being terminally disorganised (I suspect many of us have been there) but random payments of random amounts even when told a booking is cancelled... :?

ETA: I see I'm not the first whose thoughts have gone down that general path...
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

It does all sound rather odd, that's for sure. :?
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

MH issues... from the beginning i had a feeling of that - to be honest, based on your reports. didn't want to react 'that way', as i could be terribly wrong. it was just a gut feeling.

i once spent a 3 weeks holiday with a friend in an 'all inclusive' hotel, who was just as disorganised, panicking about dates and payments, which became worse after we arrived... she kept unpacking and repacking her suitcase, totally unnecessary... was either too late or far too early for breakfast/lunch/dinner... got hold of 'local friends' she'd never met before who she took into the hotel, buying them drinks... in the end, a totally ruined holiday for me - having to steer her away from more disaster than already present (bar personnel avoided to serve her and her 'new friends', as they were very loud and caused damage).

she ended up within a week of coming back, in special psychiatric care. she needed lithium to suppress all of this (manic disorder) but had decided not to bring her medication...
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I've had another e-mail from her in which she says it is a cultural thing. She wants 'to touch my heart' by explaining that she has not been in this country very long (she is Nigerian) and is not used to dealing with English people but she has learnt a lot about the English from her dealings with me and promising to do the right thing now that she understands and that is why she has put another £100 in our account.

Unfortunately she has not learnt enough to my mind as she still did not pay the full balance due as per our written agreement. Also she says she has a responsible job and has been very busy so forgot. Well to my mind if she has a responsible job in this country then she does deal with English people. I think it is cultural and she comes from a culture where people can bamboozle each other and override what the contract is to get it the way they want it.

Thank goodness I got a booking last night for p-art of the week she would have been here so have recouped some of the loss.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Barbersdrove we had a similar situation a few years ago, the lady initially charming became more and more confused, was constantly phoning and e-mailing and eventually when she had changed her booking for the nth time and then wanted to bring extra guests and pets and we said no she became very abusive indeed - and you wouldn't believe how abusive :shock:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

barbersdrove wrote:I've had another e-mail from her in which she says it is a cultural thing. She wants 'to touch my heart' by explaining that she has not been in this country very long (she is Nigerian) and is not used to dealing with English people but she has learnt a lot about the English from her dealings with me and promising to do the right thing now that she understands and that is why she has put another £100 in our account.
Well, she will now learn that the English are not entirely stupid and know when to walk away from a problem guest! Hope you get the rest of the week filled. :)
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

tonight I get a phone call from someone who I just know is one of her friends. A lady with the exact same accent wanting the exact same dates! I explained that some of that period was no longer available and she left a phone number to let her know if they cancelled.

was thinking that maybe they were trying to get the booking and the original lady would be the person to arrive. After all I would not know who was who. They would have to have paid the full amount but then I had said i would refund if I managed to re-let so some of it would go back to them if I had been able to book it to the friend. ( Are you still with me)?
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

reading only the first two lines of your message, i immediately thought the same.

yes, i'm still with you :wink:

just ignore her, all of her friends, and anyone with the same accent.

sleep well
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Yes... still with you... just not sure what to advise other than... AVOID! :? (which you're obviously already doing, but it's hard when they're so persistent!)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Do they have the address of the property? I would be getting slightly anxious by now, sorry.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

yes they have the address but cannot get in without the keycode which I do not give until payment is received in full. I don't however think this is the end of it as they were coming here for a specific event that runs over those dates so if they still come to that I'm sure they will check us out.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Dearie me I do not envy you, fending them off like this. I bet you wish it was all over now....... :?