Making up beds??

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Not silly at all Wendy, and thanks for explaining - it´s very useful to know these things so we can understand our guests´ expectations.

We just have sheets and a bedspread at this time of the year down here in Andalucia too - too hot even for summer weight duvets!
If not now, when?
Ju

Post by Ju »

Bottom sheets and duvets here. I don't leave a top sheet as that would be another 30 sheets to wash and iron, but I might if I just had a couple of beds.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Wendy@NarrowsCottage wrote: Probably sounds silly to all of you but it was unfamiliar to me so took a bit of getting used to...
Not silly, just different - like so many things between cultures.

We're still trying to decide if we can risk putting two single duvets instead of one superking on on our superking (UK size, not US!) beds. The S/K duvet covers are a pig to wash, iron, and fold, and a two person job to put them on the duvet. Singles would make life soooo much easier. We've gone down the two singles route for our own bed, and it definitely has advantages, with the only disadvantage being that it takes time to get used to it - and that might be the issue for guests.

It's a Round Tuit task; give it a try, with a S/K duvet and cover available in the room if guests can't hack it.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Go for it GB. You can always tell people it's an experiment to test views following a request...and then ask how they coped.

For me, as a guest, it wouldn't be an issue even if I didn't prefer it.

I do it, and don't even ask. No complaints and 2 compliments so far. Too many husbands hog the duvet :lol:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Thanks Mouse, it needs pushing up the list!
Mouse wrote: Too many husbands hog the duvet :lol:
Now that's fighting talk! From the male perspective, here's what really happens: Madam decides she's too hot, so throws duvet over Him. He wakes from a dream of being roasted in Hell, pouring sweat, to find a complicated heap of duvet smothering him. Past experience tells him that trying to rearrange it back over Madam will a) wake her up - dangerous - and b) require a repeat performance in 20 minutes. Therefore he takes the logical engineering approach: Madam doesn't want the duvet on her, he doesn't want a huge pile of it on him, so he carefully and gently pulls it flat and allows the surplus to fall to the floor on his side of the bed. Problem solved.
Madam now wakes up and decides she's cold. She realises there's no duvet covering her, so yanks it back over her side as violently as possible with much grumping and tutting to ensure that HE is fully aware of HIS crime.
Fast forward an hour or so for the entire repeat performance.
Next morning, still grumpy: "You hogged the duvet all bloody night!" :evil: :evil:
Him, gradually waking up into a state of enforced guilt: "Sorry darling, shall I get you a cup of tea?"

We know what you women are up to, but our undying love (and self-preservation instinct) keeps us quiet.
But just occasionally, an uninterrupted night's sleep would be nice. And a cup of tea to wake up to.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

We're still trying to decide if we can risk putting two single duvets instead of one superking on on our superking (UK size, not US!) beds. The S/K duvet covers are a pig to wash, iron, and fold, and a two person job to put them on the duvet. Singles would make life soooo much easier. We've gone down the two singles route for our own bed, and it definitely has advantages, with the only disadvantage being that it takes time to get used to it - and that might be the issue for guests.
I had exactly that issue when we opened our new unit in April. I went for it and treated it as an experiment but do you know what....not a soul has mentioned it and they have all said how great it is. I've now decided it's a non issue and that people are more adaptable than we give them credit for. I've had people from several parts of the world in there. Old age pensioners from the UK, a family from OZ, a family from Barbados, and from Germany (where I understand it's the norm).

So I would go for it. Life's too short to be struggling with superking duvet covers :D
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

You were doing fine, GB, until this bit:
Greenbarn wrote: Therefore he takes the logical engineering approach: Madam doesn't want the duvet on her, he doesn't want a huge pile of it on him, so he carefully and gently pulls it flat and allows the surplus to fall to the floor on his side of the bed. Problem solved.
You see, the thing is, problem not solved. We Madams want the duvet where we can easily get it when we need it - which we will - and that's over you. Not on the floor. Not in the cupboard. Not underneath you. (Oh yes, I've been there ....). Over you. Simples.
Madam now wakes up and decides she's cold.

Yes, of course. And that is your fault. You know that. Just leave the duvet where we put it and all will be well.
She realises there's no duvet covering her, so yanks it back over her side as violently as possible with much grumping and tutting to ensure that HE is fully aware of HIS crime.
Ah. Now you're getting it.
Fast forward an hour or so for the entire repeat performance. Next morning, still grumpy: "You hogged the duvet all bloody night!" :evil: :evil:

Well [puts on best innocent face] you did .......

We know what you women are up to ...
Just trying to help you see your place, GB. It's for your own good, and you'll thank us for it one day :wink: :lol:.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

French Cricket wrote:
Just trying to help you see your place, GB. It's for your own good, and you'll thank us for it one day :wink: :lol:.
Total TC:

St Peter is checking his clipboard for the day's male arrivals at the Gates. There are two entrances: one has a large sign saying "Queue here men who have been dominated by their wives all their life".
There is a long line of shuffling men stretching back to the horizon.

The second entrance has a sign saying: "Queue here men who have not been dominated by their wives all their life".
There is one lonely looking man standing there.

St Peter looks down at his clipboard, somewhat puzzled. Eventually he goes over to the man and asks his name; after further consultation of his clipboard, he asks the man:
"Why are you standing at this entrance?"
Embarrassed, the man replies:
"My wife told me to."
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
T.S.

Post by T.S. »

Another American here. I, too, prefer a top sheet under my duvet. Three reasons come to mind. The first, as Wendy pointed out, is probably tradition. Most of us Americans grew up with blankets and bedspreads, rather than duvets, and we are used to having clean sheets separate us from our blankets. (Our blankets may or may not be laundered weekly.) Another consideration is that bedsheets are soft, whereas many of the duvet covers sold in this country are heavy or scratchy and not comfortable directly against the skin. They are often made of home decor fabric like what might used on upholstered chairs or draperies. (In fact, the duvet on my own bed is covered in a decorator fabric which must be dry cleaned. I take it to the cleaners only once per year.) Finally, as Wendy mentioned, a top sheet provides flexibility when a room feels slightly warmer or cooler than a person's comfort level.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

T.S. wrote:Another American here. I, too, prefer a top sheet under my duvet. Three reasons come to mind. The first, as Wendy pointed out, is probably tradition. Most of us Americans grew up with blankets and bedspreads, rather than duvets, and we are used to having clean sheets separate us from our blankets. (Our blankets may or may not be laundered weekly.)

Same here in the UK! The duvet came here in the early 70's and has taken a long time to work through to the vacation industry, so many of us have extensive experience with both systems.
Another consideration is that bedsheets are soft, whereas many of the duvet covers sold in this country are heavy or scratchy and not comfortable directly against the skin. They are often made of home decor fabric like what might used on upholstered chairs or draperies. (In fact, the duvet on my own bed is covered in a decorator fabric which must be dry cleaned. I take it to the cleaners only once per year.)

They sound like eiderdowns, not duvets. They are designed to be used with sheets and blankets and definitely not as a duvet next to the skin.
Finally, as Wendy mentioned, a top sheet provides flexibility when a room feels slightly warmer or cooler than a person's comfort level.
Granted, it's just another item of laundry that I wouldn't personally add to my cleaners list for time and cost issues.
Chalet girl

Post by Chalet girl »

Good luck Booboo, I'm sure these will be the first of many guests

Trish :)
Cosy Alpine chalet, Kamnik Alps, Slovenia.
www.pureslovenia.com
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Good luck indeed! Well done to Trish for getting us back onto the point in the first post - it's Booboo's first guests; a nervy experience but with a big buzz. Enjoy it and let us know how it goes.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

T.S. wrote:Most of us Americans grew up with blankets and bedspreads, rather than duvets, and we are used to having clean sheets separate us from our blankets. (Our blankets may or may not be laundered weekly)
I haven't thought about it lately, but you used to see ads for duvets in American papers. People were sleeping directly under the down comforters with no visible sheets.
I always though: "yuk!" Even if it was an ad, and they wanted to display the down comforter, it just looked so unhygienical.

My down comforter's fabric is soft, and the cover is made of the same material as my sheets (100% sateen cotton). You should try the best quality that IKEA (there are much nicer ones other places, but it will cost you!) has and feel the difference, T.S.
A light, good quality down comforter with a nice cover doesn't lay on top of you, it just floats :P

To come back to the original question booboo:
Good luck on your first guests!

I have my first ones arriving for the guesthouse in Sweden in 6 days and we are a just now renting a holiday house (learning lots of good lessons), so I made up the beds before I left home. Only the floors to do when I arrive home.......and everything else that I will think of then :oops:
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
booboo

Post by booboo »

Well peoples they cancelled the morning they where to arrive :evil: And they where the ones we allowed to pay on arrival :x

Now what to do with my beautiful ironed Egyptain cotton bedlinen......
Our next guests are not arriving for a month, can I put them in a air thight container with some lavender bags?