Making up beds??

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
booboo

Making up beds??

Post by booboo »

Hi all, Our first guests ever.....are arriving in two days time and I would really like to make the bed up now!! Is it to early?
I feel it would give me more time to to relax and deal with last minute things that I know will pop up.

Also do you give a top sheet or just a duvet?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I can't see any reason why you can't make up the bed now.

As for top sheet/duvet, I'm not sure what the custom is in your country (or indeed the custom of the guests you've got coming). If you're concerned, perhaps you could call them and ask if they have a preference?

I'm more of a duvet man myself. :)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have duvets but leave a top sheet in a drawer for them as I find American guests often prefer to have one between them and the duvet. I have discovered that some of them think we don't wash the duvet covers in between (treating them like old-fashioned eiderdowns I suppose) so that is the main reason they use a sheet :shock: !

If you are lucky, they never bother to pull the extra sheet out of the drawer. I certainly think you can make the beds up well in advance.
pete

Post by pete »

mrsp would make beds up a week or so in advance of a booking , check under the pillows and top of sheets for insects on the morning of reservation, never found any, but she still checks anyway !!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Good heavens, 2 days ahead is fine, I think. Leave your arrival day to chill and potter - you'll have plenty of same day changeovers in the future, I'm sure, so take advantage of having some space now!

We're using summer weight microfibre duvets at the moment, but sometimes even that's too hot so I always leave a sheet in a drawer. Otherwise people have been known to take the duvet out of the cover, leave it on the floor and just sleep under the cover ...

Good luck with your first booking, booboo! Break a leg!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes - agree with the others, get them made up as early as you like.

On the duvets/sheets - it depends on the temps...and if you have a/c.
I do sheets and heavy bedspread on the doubles/king. On the singles I do summer weight duvets.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
booboo

Post by booboo »

:) Thanks all, they are American! With that in mind I will put it on (will check for bugs, thanks for that) it's 37c here at the moment and tempers are short, its been like this now for a couple of weeks and there is no sign of it cooling down.

I will be sooo relieved when they have come and gone.....

I hope :shock:
katric

Post by katric »

Go for it. Mine are made up for guests arriving on Satuday. With the bedspreeds over the top the bed stays fresh and clean. I am also in Slovenia in the Soca valley and it is soooo hot I have put duvets and flat sheets on the beds so the guests can choose. Good luck with your new arrivals.
Last edited by katric on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.socavalleyholidays.com
Live life with no regrets and eat lots of pizza!!
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

As an American, I like the sheet! :D

I hope you have the best guests and all goes well.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
lorca

Post by lorca »

Wendy@NarrowsCottage wrote:As an American, I like the sheet! :D

I hope you have the best guests and all goes well.

Wendy
Can you explain why Wendy? Like many others, we put clean duvet covers on at every change.

BTW we´ve never had any comments from our American guests - should we ask?
If not now, when?
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I never make up the beds more than a day in advance because we are in the countryside and for some reazon there is always an incredible amount of dust. Obviously that also gors for cleaning :/(
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
holidayloverxx

Post by holidayloverxx »

Hmmm, never thought about this but I prefer a top sheet at home, but don't supply one or use one myself at the apartment. It never occurred to me to buy any!
booboo

Post by booboo »

Hi all and thanks again for all your advise and words of encouragement. Few small details to finish tomorrow and then fingers crossed it goes well!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Good luck, booboo... I'm sure you'll be just fine. :)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Lorca, the reason is probably just because growing up and our custom here would be to have a top and bottom sheet. I don't know if you should ask but I don't think it would hurt.

But when I was in France last year all they had was a duvet and bottom sheet, at the time I wasn't sure the duvet had been washed (as we don't wash coverlets or comforters all the time and to me it's like a comforter..) so I was a bit uncomfortable with that, I'm sure they did wash it as that seems to be the custom in Europe.

The other thing was it was late June/early July and it was HOT and I like to sleep with something over me and the duvet was too hot and it didn't occur to me to take the duvet out of the cover as I was unfamiliar with the "system"!! Since coming home I have bought a duvet and cover from Ikea to try out in our guest room at home to see if I'd like it for our rentals. I went ahead and bought them for the condo we are going to be renting out but will always have the sheets on under it... I think that would be expected in our market. But after being on this forum and getting to hear how owners do things in Europe I am more comfortable now with the whole duvet thing!

Probably sounds silly to all of you but it was unfamiliar to me so took a bit of getting used to...

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)