I wish they would tell me but it is probably my own fault

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

I am pretty much the same as Wendy - low tech works for me.We have the due date on the booking form, but keep a diary specifically for balance due dates. We check the diary every week routinely to see what monies are due.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I love the idea of a "milk float folder" :D

Some years ago, as executor, I had to unravel my late father's estate, but as he had never used a computer, it was relatively simple trawling through his filing cabinet.

Today, our lives are run by computers, and my "milk float folder" is a single Excel book with a dozen sheets, containing all the access points and passwords to various banks, savings, subscriptions, 230 websites that I am registered on, all the hosting info, and everything else under the sun that is stored electronically somewhere.

Being ultra security concious, however, the Excel book is itself passworded and all passwords inside the book are only descriptions of how to derive the password from a magic key. Both the the Excel password and the formula for deriving all the other passwords are in my head - and nobody else knows it.

Hmmm, can you see the flaw in that ? :oops:

But, you know, in this business, dealing with difficult and varying guests, while you can pass on all the details for access to booking info, how do you pass on the contents of LMH that has permeated one's brain ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

If you want to stick with spredsheets, take a look at 'conditional formatting'.

For each week (or short break) I have rows for 'deposit paid', 'balance paid', 'cleaner booked' etc.
I then use conditional formatting to turn cells red if, for example the deposit has been paid but the cleaner not booked, or the balance is overdue.
It then only takes a glance over the sheet to see if anything important has been overlooked.
Open for business.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I use Google Docs (and a hard copy folder of correspondence) and turn different cells different colours like DaveN to show me whether a payment is pending, paid or agreed to wait on arrival. I have something like 13 different cells for each booking, contact details, whether I have sent a receipt.... including extra notes for myself about particular things like known late arrival etc. The good thing about this is that it can be shared on my husband's computer so he reminds me if I haven't passed the payment on to him (he who pays the mortgage) as he can see that I have got a booking and somehow left he money in my account by mistake :? It is also easily accessible should a milk float incident arise.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Think they'll have to get Robert Langdon (Da Vinci Code) in to crack that one Richard if a milk float heads your way! (or Indy?)

BTW - on PIMS I have a shortcut on my yahoo toolbar. Today it was telling me that "PIMS had been upgraded to PIMS 6" and to close my browser. I did a couple of times and got the same message. Then I was sensible and typed the address in ending .com instead of the extra which is on the shortcut and it worked! So, some folk may need to update their toolbar button/shortcut.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

yup, I had that too Sue; eventually worked out that I needed to delete the button and re-do the bookmark with the new link.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

e-richard wrote:I love the idea of a "milk float folder" :D
Ours is called 'In case of an emergency' (an idea we got from a 60+ website.
e-richard wrote:I had to unravel my late father's estate, but as he had never used a computer, it was relatively simple trawling through his filing cabinet.
That was my own father!
e-richard wrote:descriptions of how to derive the password from a magic key. Both the the Excel password and the formula for deriving all the other passwords are in my head - and nobody else knows it.
That's my husband - except he's written it somewhere.

I've just been in tears, e-richard, it's the most hilarious thing I've read for ages. Though maybe it was the port I was quaffing.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Makes one think.......with a physically disabled husband needing a carer and offspring Down Under, my pc system is intelligable to me :oops:

Oh well, they say the world's ending on 21 December 2012 anyway:lol:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

pambon wrote: Oh well, they say the world's ending on 21 December 2012 anyway:lol:
Hadn't heard about that one, but a useful choice of date for a change. "Sorry darling, I didn't buy you a Christmas present because the world was supposed to end last Friday."

BTW, am I the only one thinking that if OH knew all the ins and outs of running the business, I'd have to very carefully prepare all my own meals....... :shock:
Last edited by greenbarn on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

Wonkeye wrote:
e-richard wrote:descriptions of how to derive the password from a magic key. Both the the Excel password and the formula for deriving all the other passwords are in my head - and nobody else knows it.
That's my husband - except he's written it somewhere.
Have just learned that said file is no longer ON his laptop, but on a memory stick and a printout that he keeps NEXT TO his laptop, but when travelling (including frequent commutes Netherlands/UK) is in his toilet bag (for safe keeping). The equivalent of Richard's magic key is also in his head.

Yes, it does set one thinking. Anyone got any more foolproof ideas?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I used to use the same password for everything until last year when I realised just how dangerous this could be.
So I came up with the following formula for passwords to all the websites I use:
First 3 chars are the first three chars of the website name, in upper case).
Then, the rest of the password is the number plate of an old car that I used to have (in lower case).
This covers all rules for different websites, in that it is a combination of upper and lower case, and characters and numerals.

Therefore, say that old car number plate was AB01 CDE, then LMH password would be LAYab01cde, the Tesco one would be TESab01cde, gmail would be GMAab01cde etc etc.

So far, I've found it really easy to remember all my passwords.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

That's a great idea NC, I have so many passwords that I often get stuck - some sites forcing you to use upper and lower case and with numbers - I think I may adopt a similar strategy - Thanks!
pambon

Post by pambon »

I have taken to using my actual postal code together with a remembered variable combination of past UK street addresses!
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

There are several free password management applications out there.
I personally use Keepass - which has versions available for Windows & Android (+Apple if that's your thing :) )
It stores all the passwords for different applications, and is then secured with just the one password that you have to remember.

If you keep the password database file that it creates on Dropbox (or similar) it's available wherever you are.

If you want to get funky with it, you can also create shortcuts to applications, and launch them from within Keepass, auto-type your passwords etc.
Open for business.