Long term let in spain

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
amber

Long term let in spain

Post by amber »

Hi can anyone offer me any advice. I have had an enquiry on a long term rental on my apartment from 1/8/06 to 1/2/07.

They have stayed in the apartment before on a short term let last year and I didnt have any problems, they are looking at relocating to spain when they are out there for these 6 months. Normal long term rental for my place would be around 850 euros per month, they have said they will pay me 1050 euros per month and will send the money in full up front.

Has anyone any experience of doing long term lets? do I need to draw up any special kind of contract? Is there a risk that I wont get them out !!?

How do most of you work out what to charge for a long term rent? would you charge extra for electric, even though they are paying over the going rate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Amber, I only do short term lets, but last November I accepted a 1 month rental (for the first time ever!) with a 50% discount off the normal tariff. I charged extra for electricity (not water) and the damage deposit was raised to 300 pounds. I gave them 2 sets of linen (laundry and cleaning was not included in the rental).

It is a different situation to you because your guests have offered to pay more than your normal monthly rental fee, so I guess it would be up to you if you decide to charge extra for electricity. I would make a decision on charging for electricity depending the number of people in the party, e.g. if there are only 2 people then I would include electricity in the rental (considering they're paying 200 euros more anyway), but if it is a family of 4 and over then I would charge extra for electricity.

I've been told that you can get an 'Aquiler de Contracto' for long-term and short-term lets from any big Estancos. It's a tri-ply form. Apparently this has more 'clout' in a Spanish court than our own terms and conditions should it become a problem to get unwanted tennants out of your property.
mvus

Post by mvus »

I was always told that 11 months is the maximum, after which they have important legal rights to remain if they want to.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Amber,

I have often rented my apt. for 3 to 6 months over the Winter without problem so far (it is a great bonus as the apt would normally be empty otherwise). In the past I have only used an English language contract but any future long tern lets, I would use English/Spanish contract. A solictor would draw something up for you with the conditions that you require and those required by law but probably an offical translator would do a much cheaper job and equally as good. pja is correct -that the rental agreement should be less than 12 months to avoid serious problems if clients refuse to leave at the end of the contract.

As my rentals have always been over the low/dead season, I have charged similar rental prices to other apts in the complex plus utilities of luz, agua y gas. As you are going to loose your normal weekly income for August and September, the average monthly rent would increase.

Hope this helps.

Maria
roxytoo

long let

Post by roxytoo »

amber why are they paying over the going rate?
amber

Post by amber »

Thanks for all your replies. I decided against it in the end, they wanted a phone line installed and a couple of other things, it became more hassle than it was worth, so will stay with the short term rentals. Thanks again for your help