Credit card payments

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I use Payboxmail but it is for online payments rather than with a machine. I have a rate of 0.45% with my bank and pay 225€ a year for the Paybox facility. I have no idea how much a machine is to rent per month, but would imagine you can negotiate the rate charged depending on your turnover.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I am in the process of dealing with the same issue. I am in the UK and have joined the Federation of Small Businesses in order to access their terms for Streamline the provider of the cc card terminals and merchants account. They have negotiated better terms than if i applied as an individual. There may be something similar where you are and of course there was a cost involved in this but there are other benefits to joining them too which I wanted to make use of.

I have decided to go with a computer based terminal and to add the % supplement they charge for credit cards to the amount I charge. I have just done a new spreadsheet of charges with the ordinary price and with the supplement added. I will them be able to take card payments from people who telephone me and want to pay by card.

At the moment I have to refer them to the website to book via my online booking system. In doing this I lose money as they take a commission and make other charges plus I don't get the money until the end of the month after the guest stayed. It is a minefield though isn't it? I'm still not sure I've made the right decision but I'm going to give it a trial period.

I will end up taking payment via cheque (very infrequently) bank transfer or card so I hope I've covered everything.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)