difficult situation, help needed

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.

Should I refund the clients?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:54 pm

No refund
97%
Refund
3%

Total votes: 68

lforro

difficult situation, help needed

Post by lforro »

Hallo everyone,
I'm reading you for quite some time and I will really appreciate any feed back.
We had a couple that booked our house. On the arrival day, as usual, I let them see the house, gave them all the info about the surroundings and then we had lunch. It was all very friendly and pleasant.
Later on the evening they sent me a text telling me that they realize that the accomodation, despite he fact that was exactly as described, was not whar they were looking for and they wanted something more... luxurious. They asked me to find them something more exclusive and they also said they don't mind if it cost more.
I found an alternative, but since I wasn't able to rent my house in such a short notice, I could arrange with the other owner to offer the clients a last minute price.
In the mean time the booked something on their own and called me to tell me that. They also expected to get some money back since they had to book a different location.
In my opinion they don't reserve any money back, since we offered them an hones location, clearly showned on pictures. During our mail contact they never asked how luxurious was the holiday home.
I guess is like when you would rent a Fiat Panda, get a real Panda, then complain with Hertz because you were dreaming to drive a Mercedes...
However, they kept on sending us email, asking us to pay some money back. Since we weren't able to rent the house for the period, we think they are not deserving any money back.
What is your opinion? How should I handle them?
I don't know if is important for the story but the clients are Dutch and I'm italian and I rent a house in Italy.
Thank you all for your time and please excuse my poor English :oops:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

In a nutshell - no you shouldn't refund. If you haven't misled, if your property is as described and there were accurate photos, then you cannot be responsible for their aspirations of greater luxury.

They then asked for your help, you put yourself out and they still went ahead with something of their own choosing.

I assume you have some terms and conditions that say you will not refund in this instance?

So long as you are not at fault, then I'm sorry it has happened, but they must accept their loss.
lforro

thank you Paul!

Post by lforro »

We don't have term and conditions for this kind of situation, as we never experienced something like this. Therefore we apply the local laws and if one cancelled after arriving there's no refund except of course if the holiday home is not as descibed, dirty, noisy etc.
However, we want to do the right thing and we very much appreciate your advice based on your experience.
The fact that they were very happy when I showed them the house in the first place and then they changed their mind it's quite...strange.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

I posted no refund, there was no way for you to re-rent when they were actually there on the date they had reserved. Not your fault that they're expectations were different than the photos shown (as long as the photos were accurate). Last year we had someone cancel a few days before they were scheduled to arrive because the weather forecast was bad... I gave them the cleaning fee and the deposit back. But if I had had to have my cleaner in because they stayed a night I would not have refunded that either.

Sorry about the experience, but you can keep the money and not feel bad about it in my opinion as long as you were realistic about your place to them.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
kg1

Post by kg1 »

As they agreed that you had honestly portrayed your place on your website they have no right to a refund just because they changed their mind. Don't be bullied.
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

I also don't think you should refund but I do think you need to sort out your t&c's to cover this situation.

If you are not sure what to write then have a look at our's and you are welcome to use any bits you find suitable:-

http://www.arkvilla.com/terms.htm[/url]
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I agree - no refund.
They made the mistake not you. If your place was as described then they have no right to ask for a refund...entirely their problem.

I would write back to them that you can find no reason to refund in this situation as the accommodation was provided on the date required, to the standards described.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

You have not posted a link to your website?
Marks

Re: difficult situation, help needed

Post by Marks »

lforro wrote:despite he fact that was exactly as described, was not whar they were looking for
No refund.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
lforro

my house

Post by lforro »

Thank you all for your help and feed back.

This is the site where my holiday home is:

http://www.on-sicily.com/GB/infopage/ho ... icily.html
Dotty

Re: my house

Post by Dotty »

I wouldn't refund in these circumstances either.
lforro wrote:This is the site where my holiday home is:
http://www.on-sicily.com/GB/infopage/ho ... icily.html
This link doesn't work for me - server can't find on-sicily.com
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

If a guest makes that kind of criticism, you have to assume that it may be justified until you have convinced yourself otherwise. The link doesn't work for me either.
lforro

link

Post by lforro »

I tried to open the link and I had no problem (I use Firefox). Maybe you can copy and paste the link on your browser?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I have tried every way and can't open it either.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
lforro

about the link

Post by lforro »

It looks like the server is down :?

I contacted them and it should be solved soon...