What price for 1 May - 31 August Booking

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

French Cricket wrote:Mols, I would say that I have learned through my extremely long and varied career that when something is offered to you on a plate ... never ever grab it! Stop, think, and breathe before you do anything! So yes, I'm definitely not a dealer. Actually, I've never once offered a discount in over 25 years. And no regrets ... :lol: But hey, we're all different!
Indeed FC, we are all products of our own experiences and that's what makes all these different views fascinating (if less than totally helpful to Wallypott!)

When it was necessary to fill a gap at the right time, I could always conjure up a small sweetener (never more than a couple of hundred quid) to clinch the deal.

But I would argue that sometimes, when the opportunity offers, you just have to hold your nose and jump; I remember 35 years ago when I had the chance to buy a beach-side house in Le Lavandou, Provence, for £18,000 and I didn't quite have the nerve. If I had dredged up a bit more courage then, I would have been laughing now. Tant pis :roll:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

la vache! wrote:I'm not sure - I've got more advance bookings for 2013 than I've had for a few years. I'm sure I'm not the only one. But quite a few are repeats, which you don't get if you only rent to a couple for 5 months in the summer instead of groups of 12.
That is brilliant, LV - the fact that so many are repeats bespeaks wonders for what you do, however others can say if it replicates their own experience, and it doesn't seem to be a common theme on here.

Mols
vacancesthezan

Re: What price for 1 May - 31 August Booking

Post by vacancesthezan »

wallypott wrote:I have been conctacted by some Americans who want to come with a couple of dogs to the beach house - they want to stay either to end of July or end of August.
OK but what happens if THEY cancel or decide at the last minute that they only want to stay for half the period or less? Will your deposit cover you for a potential last minute hole in your peak season bookings calender? What kind of cancellation policy have you got?

We know lots of people who, when offered what seems like a wonderful deal, have said 'no'.

What is the value of your repeat guests who come every year and will be told 'not this year'?

Lots of things to consider. We are not sure that we would even say yes if we were in your shoes regardless of price.

VT
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

So far they have confirmed that they are going to pay by bank transfer, and have asked about our cancellation policy.

My expected revenue, if fully booked from 1 May to 31 July - incidentally a Wednesday to Wednesday booking, but I figure I can deal with that, would be about 18k€ max. As yet I haven't had a great deal of repeat bookings, and this deal still leaves me August, but does mean that the kids and I won't be able to have a week in the house ourselves, but again, that is not a deal breaker.

So depending on what you guys think I am going to say that I would accept €17500, which is this year prices, and includes a discount for a long stay, but that this is our peak season.

Any thoughts on the sales pitch?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sorry, I'm doing my "psychological triggers" thing again.
Translating into USD:
your €18,000 = $ 22,472
your €17,500 = $ 21,847

Could you live with €17,220 (= $ 21,500)? I strongly believe that there are trigger points in numbers which can sway people the way you want.

Strategy - stress that they have 2012 prices, less a discount for long stay. Quote them in Euros but with equivalent in USD ("it would be €18,000 - $22,500 - at this year's prices, but I'll offer you $1,000 off that price for a long stay so €17,220") that way, of course, you get payment in Euros, whatever the FX rate. The discount looks much bigger in USD, and that's a lever you can use.

I'll now wait to be shot down by all the others!

Mols
Ju

Post by Ju »

Not every one is in the enviable position of being able to book EVERY week between the first of May and the end of August. I don't think we have every one that for any of our properties. Yes July and August are booked but there is always the odd week in May and June.

I'd work out a price based on giving them the equivalent of a couple of May weeks free.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

I wouldn't give much of a discount if you would normally get the high season rates, but the 1000euros off would sweeten the deal for them (and everyone likes a deal). I don't think the uneven amount will be a bother, so I wouldn't take less to make it a "round" number. I'm used to weird charges when I am charging something in euros and it gets translated on my cc to dollars, no doubt they will be too.

Are you not charging for cleaning every week? I definitely would charge for that if you aren't. As an American I would not think that was free, maybe I misunderstood some of the posts?

So if they want cleanings maybe say you have a mandatory clean every 3 weeks that would be free (so you can keep an eye on things) but that if they want a clean every week it would be XX amount extra.

My 2 cents,
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Et alors, Wally? Just wondered what you/they decided to do in the end, if there is an end yet?
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Not heard back, so not hopeful! Shame it would have been nicely reassuring to have next year sown up. Feeling a little worried about these two vacant July weeks this year. I'm happy to use one, but both is going to be tough.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm really sorry, Wally. I didn't realise until you posted on my whingy thread about having one week cancelled in July that you had 2 weeks left in your big house.
Can you get Sian to do a promotion on BFB? Or can you advertise it somewhere for reduced occupancy & price (if it comes to that)?