No hot water

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
CarolineH

No hot water

Post by CarolineH »

I am furious - I have a brand new gas boiler with a professional contract for repairs and emergencies, the cost to me was 3600 euros for the boiler and the contract at nearly 190 euros per year with Veolia (one of the biggest companies in France).

On Thursday night, no hot water - went to look and the pilot light was out - relit it and we had hot water within an hour. On Friday, I phoned Veolia to ask them why the pilot had gone out and they said that it happens from time to time and is normal (it never happened in 10 years with the old boiler, same make and model). Saturday night, new clients and again no hot water - impossible to relight the pilot. Phone the "emergency" number and they are closed until Tuesday (monday being bank holiday here) Aargh! This boiler serves my house and one of my gites.

Luckily (not by choice!) I have one gite free with an electric water heater, so I have moved them into there - so they are happy.

But I am dirty and angry - I'd better take a cold shower!
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Sorry to hear of your situation Caroline.

Chances are on Tuesday when you ring you will be even more angry. Customer (dis)service being what it is in France. We have your money so why should we care?
windrush

Post by windrush »

Sorry to hear about this. If the boiler's brand new isn't it covered by the manufacturers warranty? We had a new boiler installed last year and it came with a 5 year warranty covering parts and labour, so we cancelled our (very expensive) service contract with British Gas. The guy who installed it has proved very good and reliable when we had to call him out in January (there was nothing wrong with the boiler though, it turned out to be "user error"). I realise this is the UK so the situation may be different where you are.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

wallypott wrote:Sorry to hear of your situation Caroline.

Chances are on Tuesday when you ring you will be even more angry. Customer (dis)service being what it is in France. We have your money so why should we care?
Please tell me that it's the same in the UK and other countries - I don't know why, but it would make me feel better.
windrush wrote:Sorry to hear about this. If the boiler's brand new isn't it covered by the manufacturers warranty? We had a new boiler installed last year and it came with a 5 year warranty covering parts and labour, so we cancelled our (very expensive) service contract with British Gas. The guy who installed it has proved very good and reliable when we had to call him out in January (there was nothing wrong with the boiler though, it turned out to be "user error"). I realise this is the UK so the situation may be different where you are.
It is covered by a guarantee for parts and labour, so it will not cost me anything more - but the money that I pay for the repair contract is that they come out quickly and for free - but clearly only in office hours :cry: