Time to reflect

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
e-richard

Time to reflect

Post by e-richard »

I'm sure I'll be stoned to death for posting this here for owners and not under Rental Listing sites..!!

Clearly it belongs in both, but I think its something many owners who have problem guests should read, and maybe heads of customer support at the big listing sites should already have read.

The 5 Worst Things You Can Say to a Customer

For example, think TOP = TandC and you'll see what I mean.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
juliew

Post by juliew »

These are the first 5 things that always rush through my mind before thinking of the customer and looking at the problem from their point of view
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Things you should never say to guests:
1. Arrival isn't usually before 4pm (looking pointedly at watch as guests turn up 3 hours early)
2. No-one has ever complained before
3. It was working perfectly last week
4. No you can't.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

LV you're right.

but at a rainy summer day, unfortunately a case more often than not i have to improvise a bit. not having a dryer and just 2 extra sets of bedlinnen, and being a single handed owner - i think you'll take my point.

yes, you can now put your luggage in the room. no, the room isn't ready, as my earlier guests left only 3 hrs ago. no, i do not have personnel to fix it, i'm the maid, the owner and the host.

my best friends who i sometimes write a post to tell about my life, think i should write a book.

i explain that LMH is a book by itself.

off to bed, i'm exhausted.
gam

Post by gam »

la vache! wrote:Things you should never say to guests:
1. Arrival isn't usually before 4pm (looking pointedly at watch as guests turn up 3 hours early)
So it would seem.

I'm just back from a visit to a property I was interested in buying. I'd agreed with the owner that I'd be there at 1:00 as guests were arriving at 4:00. That was fine with me even though, as the owner knew, it was a 300+ mile drive and I'd need to leave home around 6:00am.

I arrived at 1:00 on the dot to be greeted by the owner with "sorry, the guests arrived early and I've let them in so you can't view - can you come back next week?" :shock:

Sorry for the thread creep but my flabber is stil glasted.
lorca

Post by lorca »

On the other hand you shouldn´t say
"We´ve been waiting at the house since 3 as that´s when you told us you´d arrive. It is now 6.30 and you´ve just arrived having decided to stop on the way to "do some shopping and grab a bite to eat". Believe it or not there´s only so much daytime TV I can watch without needing to lie down in a dark room with a large brandy :wink: "
If not now, when?
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Get a keysafe Lorca! :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I could get a keysafe for my apartment, but apparently my guests are very good at letting M know when they will arrive, if they are late etc. It's the bookings she takes herself that seem to leave her in limbo. Those apartment wouldn't be able to use one as they are either not ground floor or not easily accessible.
Marks

Post by Marks »

A key safe is the way to go. If they are late they can let themselves in. Been using one for about 10 years now.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
starcana

Post by starcana »

GAM - that's appalling. if it was in Cornwall you could have popped in for a cuppa ( or something stronger if you weren't driving straight back!)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We just used to mail a key to our guests (along with directions and a village map) - it was up to them after that!

Mind you somebody last year obviously didn't find their map and complained bitterly that one would have been helpful as they got lost! (As Marks says, just when you've cracked it the idiots put on a spurt.)

Oh well . . . :roll:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
juliew

Post by juliew »

We have 20 propeties so it would be impossible to meet and greet everyone. All except two use the key-safe system and we have only once had a problem (and that was down to me, I sent the wrong code :oops: ). They arrived at 11pm and were very upset when they had to give in and call for help. I always worry that they will forget to leave the keys at the end of their stay but it has never happened.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

gam wrote:
I arrived at 1:00 on the dot to be greeted by the owner with "sorry, the guests arrived early and I've let them in so you can't view - can you come back next week?" :shock:

Sorry for the thread creep but my flabber is stil glasted.

Sending big condolences to your flabber, gam, and hope it's feeling better :shock: What an unbelievable thing to have happened. Whatever was the owner thinking about? (Not selling their property, obviously).
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree, that was dreadful behaviour on behalf of the owner, Gam. If it had been here and guests had arrived early, I would have let them in but explained that someone was coming to view the property and if that was an inconvenience they could come back later. A 600 mile round trip for nothing :shock:
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Gam - how inconsiderate of them, sorry for you :cry:

Easter reminds me of several years back when I decided to do an Easter egg hunt for my children and the children in the gites, I hid all the eggs in the garden early in the morning, went inside to have breakfast and by the time we came out into the garden all the eggs had been found (without me announcing that the hunt was on) and there were none left for my two little ones :cry: