Extra guest at last minute - what would you do?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
harcourtv57

Extra guest at last minute - what would you do?

Post by harcourtv57 »

Our guests who are arriving this weekend have just 'asked' us if they can bring an extra child with them (ages 10. 10 and 9) in our two bedroom apartment that sleeps 4. Seems they have agreed to look after a work colleagues daughter for a week as she has child care problems.

Normally I would say, no sorry the apartment only sleeps four but at present we do have an extra bed there (which is a pullout bed designed to make a single into a double), but its logistically not possible to do this in the room where the bed is located (long story but to do with storage of furniture from another property!)

BUt it would entail them lugging the bed into the lounge each night which is certainly not ideal for them and visions of scratched walls etc! BUt I feel a bit mean because of the circumstances and that they may not be happy when they find that there was an extra bed ......
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Can't you just explain the difficulty and leave it up to them? That would seem the simplest course of action.

TC
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I only sleep 4 officially but do have enough beds for 5, I've let regulars who had another baby stay (after baby grewo out of a cot). I discovered later (from Facebook photos) that they had lugged the single sofabed into the bedroom, moved out the bedside tables, and put all of the kids in the bedroom. Would it be possible for a bed to go into the parent's room?
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Have explained about the bed and they are happy for it to be set up in the lounge - not ideal but their choice. There wouldn't be room for it in either of the other bedrooms.
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

erm, can't the extra child sleep on the floor in, say, a sleeping bag and plus perhaps a camping mat if the carers want to be kind? What an adventure, the kid can be made to feel special and not an inconvenience.

I don't get this obsession with beds, I am well into my dotage and can still sleep on the floor, a carpet underneath is luxury because I am a bit creaky now. Or have I missed something?
Ju

Post by Ju »

When it comes to kids rooms I think you can be a bit flexible. We regularly sleep our kids 4 or 5 to a room when we have friends staying. If you can still see floor then there is room for another matress.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes I would be tempted to use a camping mat/bed plus a sleeping bag. The girl will want to be in with her friend I'm sure. They could end up topping and tailing anyway, as they're still small enough age 10!
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I think thats a better suggestion Nemo - we don't have a sleeping bag but will see if the mattress will fit on the floor in the girls bedroom, rather than in the lounge.
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

harcourtv57 wrote:we don't have a sleeping bag but will see if the mattress will fit on the floor in the girls bedroom, rather than in the lounge.
Tell the guests to bring one plus a mat, everyone has a pilates/yoga/keep fit mat these days, unless you want to buy and store more pieces of stuff of course.
Mustbemad

Post by Mustbemad »

You could also use sun lounger cushions as a make shift mattress on the floor for a child - make it up with sheets etc at night.

Watch your insurance covers additional people.....
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Suspect Miss Mouse is right in that small children, unlike adults, can sleep on just about anything, as long as there's a layer of something soft between them and the floor.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be