varied opinions

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
salmoncottage

varied opinions

Post by salmoncottage »

:D
Last edited by salmoncottage on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

I suggest you get this moved to "Members Only" section for discussion
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Not sure if I'm following correctly are they wanting to bring in for the day an extra 3 or 6? I would say that there won't be enough seating, dishes, etc... for the extras and perhaps meet at the local restaurant? Email the part in the t&c's that talks about this, and if you don't want them there then as gently as possible tell them you need to stick to your t&c's because of bad past experiences... also neighbors don't appreciate larger groups, noise, parking, etc...

Hopefully they'll take a hint and you won't have to come down heavy handed...

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Jacqueline

managing your guests

Post by Jacqueline »

I had a family of 5 stay at my villa last year,when she booked she told me that her sister lived quite close by and that was why they chose our property.
They said if everything went well they would probably book every year.While they were there 2 young children got locked in the bathroom,they called my housekeepers over and the house was full of people all their relatives and lots of children.the children were screaming the place down and the housekeepers proceeded to unscrew the door handle to get them out.
Another person not named on the booking form then pushed them out of the way and smashed the door open,damaging the door frame and the door.
They told my housekeepers that i had known that they planned to have family over but this was not true.I was not happy but i did not stop money from their breakage deposit,just put it down to bad luck.they complained on their return home that my housekeepers were spying on them.
Riverside

Post by Riverside »

Hi Salmoncottage

Are you an on-site owner? I think this would affect my policy for how much leeway I would be willing to give people. In my (limited) experience every time I have had an inkling that a guest might be a problem, unfortunately it has always been proved right. I had three 'bad feelings' about bookings last year, all paid late or had to be reminded, or made requests that went against the terms and conditions that they had already agreed to.

As it was my first full year I think I was a little too soft, I won't be making the same mistakes this year! All the things you have mentioned so far would be giving me the 'bad feeling' I was talking about, however on the plus side they have informed you of their plans. I'm sure lots of people take advantage of the fact we're not on-site owners and get away with all sorts of things that I never know about!

It's a really tough one and I agree with Wendy, I think i'd start with a nice email explaining why you have the terms and conditions and why you enforce them. Are there a few alternative local places where they could have the gathering that you could suggest?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If I rented a house for a holiday, I would expect to be able to invite friends/relatives who may live locally over for lunch or dinner. I wouldn't expect to hold a party or have extra guests sleep over.
Windy

Post by Windy »

what LV said
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I would also not think it out of order to invite an odd relative or nearby friend over, but not if the property was too small to seat everyone! However, it appears that many people do not think like this.

I have had a couple of enquiries about booking both my properties for family/friend get togethers etc, but when you KNOW that the properties simply will not cope with the expanded group then it's not a booking I want.

You have to be comfortable with a booking, as at the end of the day it's your property and your business. Maybe you need to explain your reasoning to this guest because at least they have come clean upfront about what they want to do. If I went ahead with the booking I would definitely take a damage deposit (on the basis that I don't normally take one), or would increase the deposit to cover the greater perceived risk.

If they're going to look after and respect your property, they shouldn't have a problem with doing this.
Windy

Post by Windy »

As I may have said elsewhere we do put a maximum of 8 people in our TS and CS (mainly to avoid late night parties if there are groups staying)

A lot of guests might just do a reunion / celebration without mentioning it to you, so maybe they should get credit for being up front.

Mind you we do all develop quite sensitive antennae don't we.

If they are twitching, take heed :-)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Windy wrote:Mind you we do all develop quite sensitive antennae don't we.

If they are twitching, take heed :-)
Too true Windy! This is what experience brings after all; knowing when a booking may bring more problems than it's worth. :wink: I know we can get it wrong and do, but those antennae are still worth listening to.
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

la vache! wrote:If I rented a house for a holiday, I would expect to be able to invite friends/relatives who may live locally over for lunch or dinner. I wouldn't expect to hold a party or have extra guests sleep over.
So would I and nor would I.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

:D
Last edited by salmoncottage on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Essar

Extra guests

Post by Essar »

We've just had a similar happening.
Young woman who lives locally books apartment for her Mother & Brother who are coming over for her wedding - Apt sleeps 4, 1 dble 2 single. No idea of any problem until changeover day - apt in absolute appauling state, dirt & litter everywhere, no washing up done for at least 3-days, grease on every surface, oven covered in "sauces", stain on one single bed through to mattress, numerous broken crockery & glasses, finger prints everywhere, etc. I'm bringing in the new bedlinen when a neighbour asks "did the wedding go off ok?". "Why?" I respond.
It seems that our apt was used for the bride & bridesmaids leaving point, that would account for all the makeup over the mirrors, dressing tables & bathrooms. It also served for the storage of several young children during the ceremony who were looked after by an elderly aunt until the reception when 2 taxis came and picked them up, that would account for all the little fingerprints & the black shoe marks on the sofas.
I fortunately took 2-weeks security deposit (£200), her bill for extra cleaning & breakages came to £150.83. Young woman extremely miffed - "tainted her wonderful wedding" - the photos I sent her quitened her down and she meekly supplied her bank details for the security deposit balance refund.
I also pointed out that our property is a holiday apartment not a beauty parlour or childen's nursery and she was in breach of our legally binding contract by having more than the number of guests it caters for and having unnamed visitors on the premises. I didn't ask who actually stayed or how many.

So, I agree with others tread very carefully before accepting.

Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
miss mouse

Re: Extra guests

Post by miss mouse »

Essar wrote:We've just had a similar happening.

It seems that our apt was used for the bride & bridesmaids leaving point, that would account for all the makeup over the mirrors, dressing tables & bathrooms. It also served for the storage of several young children during the ceremony who were looked after by an elderly aunt until the reception when 2 taxis came and picked them up, that would account for all the little fingerprints & the black shoe marks on the sofas.
I fortunately took 2-weeks security deposit (£200), her bill for extra cleaning & breakages came to £150.83. Young woman extremely miffed - "tainted her wonderful wedding" - the photos I sent her quitened her down and she meekly supplied her bank details for the security deposit balance refund.
I also pointed out that our property is a holiday apartment not a beauty parlour or childen's nursery and she was in breach of our legally binding contract by having more than the number of guests it caters for and having unnamed visitors on the premises. I didn't ask who actually stayed or how many.

So, I agree with others tread very carefully before accepting.

Steve
Well, slightly different scenario from a Jubilee Tea Party for a bunch of oldies like me. Ahem, I have occasionally managed to manipulate a cup of tea and a plate with fruit cake or chocolate eclairs on hi days and holidays without smashing up the hostess's home.

The OP makes me remember why I stay in hotels and not hobby B&Bs and holiday cottages, places where the owner is constantly hovering to make sure that I do not disturb her doilies or move a nic-nac.
la vache!

Re: Extra guests

Post by la vache! »

miss mouse wrote: The OP makes me remember why I stay in hotels and not hobby B&Bs and holiday cottages, places where the owner is constantly hovering to make sure that I do not disturb her doilies or move a nic-nac.
Me too, miss mouse. I think it is a great shame that some owners take this attitude. I thought the OP's guest made reasonable requests and asked in a nice way. I bet he thinks twice about staying in a rental cottage again too.