varied opinions

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The increased numbers are for one teatime only, not the entire week. And I assume that as it is a summer booking that outside furniture could be used as well as the indoor seating. Or possibly a picnic outside? I don't think people are going to expect formal seating!
I thought that one of the reasons people book self catering independent accommodation is that you have a little more freedom and independence than if you stayed in a hotel or B&B. Obviously I'm wrong. Bill Bryson and Mrs Smegma are coming to mind again...sadly.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

la vache! wrote:... one of the reasons people book self catering independent accommodation is that you have a little more freedom and independence than if you stayed in a hotel or B&B.
I’d imagine that we’ve all had our trust abused - in business and personal life - and such betrayal does affect you, no question. But, if my rental experience so far had been 99% good, then I would have been tempted to follow the percentages. Otherwise, the bad guys always win.

This guest’s gentle humour – ‘tea and butties thing’ – would probably have swung it for me. That, and his honesty.
Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well I personally cannot rely on the weather as I'm in the UK. :wink: Snow on the way in April I do believe. :lol:

I can understand that there are plenty of you where it is no big deal to cater for such a booking, perhaps being on site, with space available and enough crockery etc.

I would hope you can respect those owners that do not have the facilities to deal with such a booking. It does not mean that we are any less hospitable than you, but we have to trade in different circumstances.

I completely empathise with the OP's concerns and having similar factors myself I understand his decision. We must agree to disagree on this one.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

There is a big difference between being on site and not on site. In Bavaria, we are on site and have a small extra cost for each person above 2. No problems, we are always notified in advance if extras are coming.

At the UK house, we do get family parties. Since one group doubled the number in the property and broke the garden furniture in the process (they had to sit on the arms because there wasn't enough seating), we have become very strict and our T&Cs say we want notification of any extra bodies, day or night. I agree with LV about greater freedom with self catering but not to the extent of breaking furniture. We have worked realy hard to sleep and seat 8 people in the house, plus some extras. We just cannot take 16+ people because there is not enough furniture for them to sit on.
T.S.

Post by T.S. »

Perhaps I misunderstand has been written on this thread, but it sounds like a few people are implying that the OP is acting unprofessionally and giving the industry a bad name. Ouch.

I think the OP brought up some valid concerns, and I don't see why it should matter quite so much (to any of us, at least) which way the OP ultimately chose to go.
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

T.S. wrote:Perhaps I misunderstand has been written on this thread, but it sounds like a few people are implying that the OP is acting unprofessionally and giving the industry a bad name. Ouch.

I think the OP brought up some valid concerns, and I don't see why it should matter quite so much (to any of us, at least) which way the OP ultimately chose to go.

This I think is aimed at me, and I say 'Er, no, not quite'. I made some observations about poor service I have received, what I expect as a customer (I hate the term 'guest', I am not) and what I am prepared do as a landlord. What the OP chooses to do is his/her own concern, I thought the Op's worries unreasonable, others disagreed

I think that you and the OP are using English as a second language; this is not a criticism just an observation, I see that you posted at 4.05am UK time, you can see my time, it is 9pm local time and we are about to lose power because another storm is rolling in.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

T.S. wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstand has been written on this thread, but it sounds like a few people are implying that the OP is acting unprofessionally and giving the industry a bad name. Ouch.

I agree with T.S !!.This forum is about voicing concerns and Salmon cottage did.......they are her concerns which she is quite entitled to have.
miss mouse wrote:
I think that you and the OP are using English as a second language; this is not a criticism just an observation, I see that you posted at 4.05am UK time, you can see my time, it is 9pm local time
and I really dont know what you are implying here...........!!!!
but It makes me uneasy........I use English as a second language after Rozziesquit and Im posting this at 7.07am[Norfolk time] in case you are interested!
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

T.S. wrote:I think the OP brought up some valid concerns, and I don't see why it should matter quite so much (to any of us, at least) which way the OP ultimately chose to go.
Because the question 'what would you do if ... ? is what triggers discussion between experienced professional rental owners on this forum. Somebody punts the ball into the air, other members kick it back and forward and, when the ref blows the whistle, the OP (and the rest of us) should - hopefully - have a useful range of opinions based on their question. Based on these contrasting views, you may hold your ground - or not.

That's what gives a discussion forum its juice. It can be fascinating to see the variety of comments generated by your peers, who share your industry but not your circumstances or experiences. If it 'didn't matter', why would anybody take the trouble to post?
Jim
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Good points from Big Sis and Jimbo.

Yes it is useful to raise one's own concerns and have the topic kicked around, no there is very rarely a unanimous view, yes all views are useful, and ultimately whoever raised the question is the one that has to make the decision that's right for their situation.

The key point that's had me thinking through this particular thread is an extension of Jim's "what would you do if...?" question. At face value the question is "what would you do if extra guests etc etc...." but there's a very important second part which is "........ and you'd had this previous very bad experience when you had a similar situation before." I think that puts a nasty twist into something that, from the outside, may not seem to be such a big deal.

So thanks to Salmoncottage for sharing that experience; it's shared experiences that make this forum so valuable. If I get a similar request that experience will be in my mind when I try and make a decision, and like Salmoncottage I'll probably agonize over it and come here for help. Then I'll have to do what I think is the best thing for my particular circumstances.
T.S.

Post by T.S. »

English is my primary language.

I am all for lively debates where a wide variety of opinions are expressed. And the discussion wouldn't be as valuable if everyone agreed with one another. However, this thread felt different to me. It seemed like this thread occasionally veered into the realm of "personal" and I found myself thinking, "Boy, I'm glad I've never asked a question on LMH." So I spoke up.
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

Big Sis.. wrote:
miss mouse wrote:
I think that you and the OP are using English as a second language; this is not a criticism just an observation, I see that you posted at 4.05am UK time, you can see my time, it is 9pm local time
and I really dont know what you are implying here...........!!!!
but It makes me uneasy........I use English as a second language after Rozziesquit and Im posting this at 7.07am[Norfolk time] in case you are interested!
I imply nothing, I found the writer's style unusual, nothing personal, my writing style has been described as 'distinctive' to my surprise. UK English is my first language, it is quite different from Canadian and US English where many misunderstandings have occurred with ghastly consequences. Also SA and Aus and NZ english is different but I have met those on home turf and been able to clarify confusion. It was meant in a spirit of 'Are you understanding things differently from what was intended'. No insult, judgement or anything intended.

Now, help me with this one, a Korean neighbour whose english is poor has teenage daughters. One daughter was told by a schoolmate 'You look hot'. The daughter (whose english is good) was delighted, the father less so, possibly as fathers always are one might argue, I was equally unimpressed, asking my usual reliable translators, one thought this a good thing to have said, the other was as appalled as I and the father were.

So, my comments were observations in a spirit of enquiry, not judgements.

I was curious about the time of posting, approx 4am locally IIRC and felt a need to explain myself. My laptop is set to UK time, I have clock, I know what time it is here, something after 10.30 pm locally currently.

So, I am very sorry that my post upset you or anyone else, that was not the intention. Sorry.

The storm was spectacular BTW.