Guests late to leave

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Speyside Steve

Guests late to leave

Post by Speyside Steve »

We have just been notified by the cleaners that they were unable to gain access to clean on time. Our T&Cs state that guests must leave by 10am. The cleaners arrived at 10.45 but could not get in until 11am (a full hour after they should have left).

What to do? Should I keep all or part of the Good Housekeeping Bond? The guests have stayed before (this is their 3rd visit) and were a small group. Overall I think they are an 'easy, low maintenance booking'.

I think I need to remind guests of kick out time when confirming the booking but not sure about what to do retrospectively. Put it down to experience?

Thanks for any advice!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Give them a reminder sheet the day before. It has cut down our late departures to almost nil.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I wouldn't do anything more than put it down to experience - particularly as they are repeat, low maintenance guests.

I would email them and say "hope you enjoyed your stay once more... and please could I politely remind you of our departure requirements for next time" (worded however you are comfortable with).

If it's a recurring problem, you might want to re-think how you emphasise that it's necessary for people to leave by that time.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

I don't think I'd do anything to antagonise an "easy, low maintenance booking", particularly if they are repeat guests - I'd be wanting their custom again!

It's annoying when guests leave late, but sometimes it does happen and probably best to make sure there is a bit of contingency in the changeover time to allow for such eventualities. It sounds as though you do have some contingency in your timings, if the cleaners are booked to arrive at 10.45 - so they were only kept waiting for 15 minutes.

I'd just be sure to reiterate the departure time, and mention it to them verbally, if they book again.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

If that's the extent of your problems, I wouldn't even mention it!

Being an hour late on departure counts 1 on a scale from 1 to 100. :D :D :D

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Marks

Post by Marks »

If the one hour late departure meant that the next guests were delayed by one hour getting access then a polite but firm reminder is in order.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I think if the cleaners don't arrive until 10:45 then the guests probably didn't think there was a rush.

IMO if you want people out by 10am then someone needs to be there at 9:45 at the latest.

Potter around outside straightening chairs and picking up any litter and they soon get the idea. If it gets to about 10:15 and they still haven't gone then I ask if I can get started in the bedrooms.
Speyside Steve

Post by Speyside Steve »

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. Decided on the 'by the way next time ...' approach but without getting as far as emailing them, they have emailed to say they are looking forward to their next stay and are checking availability to see when they can come back! We need guests like this! :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Moliere wrote:If that's the extent of your problems, I wouldn't even mention it!

Being an hour late on departure counts 1 on a scale from 1 to 100. :D :D :D

Mols
Only depending on your cleaner and length of clean. My departure is 10am and arrival 3pm. My cleaner frequently has to clean both my properties which takes four hours. A guest departing late means all contingency time has gone and frequently the next guests arrive a little early. I can't prevent entry as they have keysafe access.

I would not say anything, but would simply have the cleaners there at the correct time and have them start unloading the car with the clean linen etc and potter about as Ju says. Finally a knock at the door and a request to strip the bedlinen is always a reasonably soft approach if they hang around too long!

As you say, repeat guests are great, and I had exactly the same happen to me very recently. My cleaner questioned me as to whether they had been given a late departure, but of course I hadn't!
Speyside Steve

Post by Speyside Steve »

Have made a note to remind the guests of departure times when confirming access arrangements & directions; have agreed with the cleaners not to arrive before 10.30 to give some leeway.

We used to do the cleaning ourselves and have only just moved to using cleaners, so we are getting used to the new arrangements. Previously it didn't matter much if the guests were a little late and it gave us a chance to meet them and check they had a good stay. Now it does matter as we are charged by the hour!