How do you "present" your property on guests' arri

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Marks

Post by Marks »

A 60 watt bulb on for 4 hours would cost me €0.04

An eco-friendly 15 watt bulb for the same time costs me €0.01
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
elena

Post by elena »

I agree with lots of different comments here but generally think no matter what you do it will never be right for everyone so getting happy balance will generally be fine for all.

If I know guests are arriving late I always leave a few lamps on as arriving in the dark is a no-no for me & if you switch those eco bulbs on at the last second by the time they heat up the first impression has long gone :(

In the Summer I always leave the doors closed once the gites have been cleaned as the cat will invariably wander in & lie on the newly made beds ( & I've also seen other guests in wandering around after I've cleaned everything, just because they saw the door open a wanted to have a quick peek :roll: )

My experience is that after a long journey , especially if they've stopped off at the supermarket the first thing people do is dump all their stuff all over the floor & on top of the table before I've even got round to explaining things! I've seen young children getting undressed to go to the pool before they've even seen where the pool is , so I guess for us a set table, music & candles would all seem a bit inappropriate.

I think after weighing everything up, how you speak to people,
the ability to make them feel really at home & at ease just by how you treat them, a genuine warm smile and a sincere desire to help them have a really special time goes a lot further than all the staging & props ( not that they don't have a place of course, just talking about my own situation & experience).

Elena

Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
join Les Crouquets on Facebook – if you like us, please like us!!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

The moment people enter the hallway at our place, they'll see this ornament sitting on a mirrored table next to the visitors' book...

...which hopefully puts them in the right frame of mind. ;)

We leave side lights on, heat the property obviously during the cooler months, and draw the curtains if their arrival time is after dark (we ask for an approximate time of arrival).

As far as goodies are concerned, we leave a bottle of wine out, along with glasses (the same number as are occupying the property), and a pint of milk in the fridge (plus the usual bits and pieces such as tea, coffee, sugar, etc... KC Kendal Mint Cake to be added to the mix soon, too!)

On the few occasions when I accompany people into the property, I offer to help with any bags, show them in and guide them towards the welcome folder with information about the property and the local area. I ask them if there's anything they'd like to know and double check that they have my mobile number should they need anything (it's in the folder anyway, but I just want them to be happy and re-assured that we're on hand if need be).
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

KC, I love that ornament! Where did you find it?

On the welcoming front, we help with bags, show them round, do all the stuff with lights (not main lights, just a table lamp or two plus outside lights), bottle of wine and glasses, a few goodies like baked stuff, bowl of fruit, etc etc. Enough to make people feel that they're walking into their (temporary) home, not an impersonal chain hotel.

But Elena's taken the words out right of my mouth: I really think it's the human relationship that we form with them in their first few moments with us that make them feel welcome and as if they've come to the right place. But it also means that we can often get a sense straight away of whether they just want to be left alone, or want more contact or guidance.

Easy to do, of course, when you live there too .... Don't envy you off site owners. It must be hard to trust this stuff to someone else.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Errrmmm... I think it was from Next but I don't think they have them any more, I'm afraid.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
aasta

Post by aasta »

love the sign, too KC!!! would love one!!!

We are now in our second year B&B and have learnt lots by trail and error. Agree with others that the initial welcome is very important. We also have a welcoming bottle of wine in the room, fruit, biscuits, bottled water, tea making supplies, flowers...

And we also have learnt to develop a feel for how much contact our guests want. After showing them to their room, we tell them that we are here for them for whatever they need and let them take it from there. We have frequent solo female travelers, do not know why, and they are mostly grateful for someone to chat with....
aasta
elena

Post by elena »

Love your RELAX too KC!! I love all the unusual & quirky things that make good talking points ...not always that easy to find!

Elena

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Marks wrote:A 60 watt bulb on for 4 hours would cost me €0.04

An eco-friendly 15 watt bulb for the same time costs me €0.01
Not that different then, Marks, in real-world terms.

Tell you what though, I'm despairing of these claims that energy-efficient bulbs last longer (given that they cost up to £10 a time) - we have had quite a lot now expiring within six to nine months and that far exceeds any benefit from lower electricity usage.

I think we may have all been conned. :(

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Moliere wrote: Tell you what though, I'm despairing of these claims that energy-efficient bulbs last longer (given that they cost up to £10 a time) - we have had quite a lot now expiring within six to nine months and that far exceeds any benefit from lower electricity usage.

I think we may have all been conned. :(

Mols
Couldn't agree more. They are supposed to last years, but they don't last any longer than normal ones in my experience, and at 12€ a time replacing them costs me a fortune :(
elena

Post by elena »

Moliere wrote
we have had quite a lot now expiring within six to nine months and that far exceeds any benefit from lower electricity usage.
LaVache wrote
They are supposed to last years, but they don't last any longer than normal ones in my experience, and at 12€ a time replacing them costs me a fortune
Same here - can't swear they don't last any longer than normal bulbs but they certainly don't live up to their longevity claims.
Also there are very few that give the same quality light - they still have a long way to go in terms of perfomance & price.

Elena

greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

KC - love the Relax ornament! Excellent idea!

I love the various things people do - and lots of baking pre-arrival!! Very impressed. :D

I usually greet in person so I go over a little earlier to make sure that the heat is on in winter, there's enough hot water, tea & coffee etc., and that the place looks neat and fresh. I usually pick up some fresh flowers on the way and always leave out a bottle of wine.

If it's evening, I turn on the lights, to show the place to its best advantage. I show guests around and show them my Guest Guide and my "interactive" Restaurant Guide - I've had lots of useful comments on local eateries from guests.

I rarely offer tea or coffee, because people usually clearly want to just be left alone to settle in and I don't want to intrude, but if someone seems keen to chat, then I turn on the kettle.
Lounging on the lily pad...
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

when i started my B&B in june 2009, i bought 2 small halogen desk lamps and 2 flexible halogen wall lamps at ikea's, with (i think) eco friendly and electricity saving bulbs. the cheapest, actually!

bhttp://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/00094796/

they've been used quite a lot. NONE of the bulbs have had to be replaced up to now. the replacements aren't that expensive - i think 2 for 4 euro. yes the 'brand' bulbs tend to be quite expensive. i've tried some LED-bulbs in my hallway, but have replaced them by 'normal' halogen lamps again, the light temperature was too much... all the displayed art turned blue.

ikea design, of course, will only fit into rooms decorated with a bit the same style - which i prefer because it is rather neutral.

economy wise, low or high watt electricity bulbs do not make a big difference in paying the bill. i just installed a 1200 watt electric boiler for the new showerroom, as my hot water constant flow installation capacity (typical for dutch households) is not good enough to have both showers working at the same time :cry:

so i decided to adapt my 2009-prices as from may 1st.
that will make a difference, in future...
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I bake a cake for one guest (at least!) she will be here this summer for her 12th birthday and she has spent 9 of her previous birthday's here (last year it was on the last day of term, so she got her cake a day late).

Emily likes my apple/yogurt cake :D
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

last summer i made a pancake 'birthday cake' for a 10 year old girl from austria, for breakfast! (with lots of fresh cream and homemade strawberry jam) and 10 candles of course :D

unfortunately not a repeat guest, she literally cried when she left. so i'm a bit jealous :wink: