The curious world of social media !

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Any chance of a 'step-by-step' guide chaps :?:
Ray
gam

Post by gam »

That's possibly not the best way forward for a few reasons:
  • - using remote tools to inspect your code is a lot harder than having direct access, so giving the correct advice is tricky
    - changing code, even in say a style sheet can cause problems
    - you've not developed the site yourself
    - your developer should really check and test any changes and document them within the file
    - if/when the theme is updated the changes will be lost unless made part of the revision
So personally, I think you should ask your developer to make the necessary changes and give you assurances that this will be covered in future updates.

If for some reason your developer won't play ball then you could have a go yourself - probably best done by setting up a child theme and working on that. Lower risk, less likely to upset the developer and to a large extent, update safe.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Quite right gam,

I don't mind 'having a go' at stuff myself, but I know my limitations and as I've already emailed the site developer and I think it's their responsibility anyway, I'll await their response.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks very much again for your valuable time on this one.
Ray
Windy

Post by Windy »

After what I found after Gams pointer I would bet a couple of quid that changing:
.fb-like
{
width: 100px;
overflow: hidden;
}
to

.fb-like
{
overflow: visible;
}
in http://www.valmargite.com/wp-content/th ... /style.css

will solve the problem for you.

Let us know if it works!
gam

Post by gam »

Windy - Yes, just tested it and that works fine - no negative impact elsewhere that was obvious but I couldn't say for sure. All things considered, still feel it's probably best to ask the developer to adjust and document it, if for no other reason than avoiding the problem with other clients.

Holiday Ray - Now I've looked closer, I've realised that it's actually a child theme of the (fairly old but still excellent) WordPress twentyten theme. So ignore my previous comments about creating a child theme if you want/need to have a go yourself. As an aside, it does mean, if you haven't realised, that you need to keep your twentyten theme up to date. There are usually a couple of updates a year and you'll be notified in your control panel and also by email if you have that function set up. It's very important to keep up to date as not only are the updates likely to be more stable, they will also include security fixes.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Windy and gam - thanks to you both for that interesting little debate - all because of that little widget at the top there not doing quite what it should do (naughty little widget !).

I found that 'little critter' bit of code
.fb-like
{
overflow: hidden;
}
right down at the bottom there (thanks for the link Windy). You don't know how tempted I am to just dive in there and fix that little beast, but I think gam is right, that the developer should know about the problem, so that others can benefit and that updates are also made at a later date.

I feel a bit better now, that you have come up with the solution to a problem, that I can actually see myself and understand and rectify, even if I think it pertinent on this occasion not to.

As mentioned before, I'll let you know the response from the developer, I do expect it to be a positive one
Ray
Windy

Post by Windy »

Glad to help (and be helped) - That's the magic of LMH :lol:
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Email received back from developer stating 'problem now fixed'

Would someone be kind enough to test the fb widget for me please .

Ta muchly :)
Ray
Windy

Post by Windy »

Works for me :-)
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Brill, thanks Windy and thanks so much for

1. Highlighting the 'issue' in the first place and

2. In conjuction with gam, coming up with the solution.

Another small (but quite important, I think) step to improving the new website.

Good on ya :D
Ray