Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 1 2012

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

French Cricket wrote:GB, how interesting that you managed to get your FB page URL with just a couple of likes .... rather knocks on the head the stuff we were all spouting here a few months ago about having to have 25 of them!
I put it down to clean living and abstinence, respect for my elders and betters, and being kind to dumb animals (I always go for the head shot). If it's nothing to do with that lot, then I haven't got a clue. FB is all still a mystery to me.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Its a mystery....... I got the name on my page immediately (with 0 likes), and not having a clue about facebook didn't follow what everyone else was going on about having to 'claim' the page when you had 25 likes.

(PS Greenbarn - I've liked your page in person & by my page ....any more likes to my page very welcome :D )
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Well, there you are. Ignorance is bliss.

Unlike clean living and abstinence :lol:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Maybe they've changed the rules..................... :roll:

You definitely needed more before because I kept checking; after 10 likes, then 15 etc. I think I was at 22 when I scored. :lol:

Ah well......all's well that ends well. :wink:
rosebud

Hello Nemo

Post by rosebud »

Lovely photos on your page - I have just liked it.
I still have to create a website - but once I 've done that - I'll have a go at a Facebook page.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

You may find a facebook page quicker to start than a website. Of course a website is an absolute must, but a facebook page can be started with virtually nothing and grow organically.

A website needs a lot of planning and thought. I would get a fb business page up with just a couple of photos & minimal info, whilst you then spend the time doing your website, then drop in on your fb page doing the odd post here and there for light relief from your website work! JMHO!
lorca

Post by lorca »

Any new thoughts re frequency of posting? ie is there a risk that people might hide you if you post too often? Any thoughts re how often is too often :wink: ? And is it possible to know if you´ve been "hidden"?
If not now, when?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Definitely don't post too often and try to keep them well spaced. I 'get rid' of anyone who fills a page with one post after another. I also keep mine factual (NOT the cup of tea type ones) to try to keep the audience.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Some post more than others. My own "rule of thumb" is, I repost special offers/last minute's or anything outstanding like great reviews or fab photos. (GB's red squirrel) I tend not to repost general everyday tourist/rental info etc since I'm "liking" so many pages now and I don't want to P off my non rental friends. Luckily the folk I repost for seem to return the favour.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I do post general tourist info. In fact, since we are off site for the Welsh house, that's all I do publish, courtesy of Google alerts. For Bavaria, I very occasionally publish special offers (very rare) and reviews but only if they are exceptional in the latter case. Perhaps keeping the business and personal pages separate helps with that, although I rarely use the personal page now.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

My thoughts on posting frequency:

no more frequent than once per day, no less frequent than once per week (although even that, I'm not sure I'm always able to keep up with...)

I find I get the most response, and therefore greatest reach, from beautiful scenic photographs.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I probably average around 5 to 7 posts a week. Some of those are feeds from my blog or other bits of house news, some are photos, some are tourist info, some are menus. I get most response from photos and from our menus (which always have a photo too), I think, and least from tourist info.

I also now make a point of welcoming all new 'likes' by name, and that's been appreciated by a lot of people.

I think what really turns people off - at least it turns me off - is the repeated posting of the property's website with some kind of 'book now' message attached (where's the smiley for yawn? :wink:). I have to admit that I've actually hidden someone who does that ...
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Just noticed this on my page

''Community Pages represent causes, topics and ideas (as opposed to official entities such as businesses, bands and public figures). This change has not affected your Page’s presence on Facebook. If you think your Page has been miscategorized click here''

Don't know how long its been there but I think maybe from today. When I 'click here' doesn't seem to help at all. I am a business (well i thought i was!!)

Anyone know what it means??
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Maybe businesses have to pay now?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Same has happened to mine. I posted about it this morning on a new thread:

viewtopic.php?t=17493