Staff Insurance

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
dands

Staff Insurance

Post by dands »

Hi All-I am just changing my holiday homes insurance from a Portuguese company to a UK company as I am getting much cheaper quotes that way. In doing so I notice that the public liability aspect also covers staff (maid ,gardener et) against injury etc.
Currently we have 2 separate policies -one to cover staff and another household insurance. Our management company who look after the running of the property tell me I need to keep on the separate staff insurance policy (€500+ a year) to cover them as they need to put that insurance number on any forms whenever they go to the doctors etc and that all employers and employees have to do this.
Do other people pay this insurance too??
thanks for any help you can offer!
tavi

Post by tavi »

dands I'm not an expert but didn't want to leave this unanswered.

Personally, I would have thought that as the management company employ the staff it would be them who pays the health insurance...even if they then pass on the cost (or your share of the cost) to you.

If you only have one property and you're not employing the cleaners etc yourself then it's difficult to see how you have a bill of €500 a year.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I can only second what tavi says (also about not being an expert!). In the UK, you are not expected to provide cover for staff unless you employ them. If you have a self employed cleaner for example, then what you need is the public liability cover, which then covers the cleaner, your guests and anyone else who enters your property.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

IF you have to have the employee insurance why couldn't they use the number from the policy that covers both?

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)