Potentials Canadian guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Isy

Potentials Canadian guests

Post by Isy »

Hi everybody,
Once again I need your advices and I would deeply appreciate your help.
Here s the thing : a well spoken potential guest from Vancouver contacted me to book in june this year.
To secure a booking I request a breakage deposit (750 euros) AND 30% of the rent (in this case 600 euros), the rest, 6 weeks before the arrival.
This guest is telling me that the deposit is a lot of money in Canada (it s 750euros here in France) and does not undestand why I need it now since they re coming in June (he said he s rented villas in Europe before). Plus according to him, bank transfers are not common over there.
My question is :
If you have dealt with Canadian people before, what kind of payment do you take? (I don't have a credit card facility).
If he already finds difficult to pay the deposit and 30% of the rent I worry about his solvability/capacity to pay up. They re 3 couples, surely they re bound to be able to pay up. Am I a bit harsh???
Oviously I m ready to give him some time (how much time would you give him???)to pay but don't want to be taken for sucker/fool either.So I would appreciate your inputs.
Thanks again
Rgds
Isy
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I take the security deposit with the balance, either 6 or 8 weeks before arrival.
Kaz D

Post by Kaz D »

We have a Canadian couple staying in our house next Tuesday for 10 weeks. I know it cost them an absolute fortune to transfer the deposit by bank transfer and our bank deducted fees at our end as well. I have agreed they can pay the balance on arrival so they/we don't incur any more fees.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I also ask for the security deposit with the balance 8 weeks before arrival. I think its unusual to ask for it up front together with a % deposit. The French people I've rented to query paying it even as early as 8 weeks before. Also, I don't know how big your property is, and everyone must set the deposit at a figure they are comfortable with, but €750 does seem a bit on the high side to me - its twice what I ask for.... and a lot of people on LMH don't take a security deposit at all.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

I have a thing for Canadian guests as my very first guests were from Quebec :)
I ask for 25% deposit at the time of booking, balance 8 weeks before arrival date and breakages deposit on arrival.
I think they have a point. They give you a breakage deposit now for something that might happen in 6 months time...
I suggest that you change that.
About the amount, I don't know your property, but it looks a bit high to me...
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Isy

Post by Isy »

Hi everyone,
Thanks a mil for your precious advices.I followed what you said and contacted the canadian guest to tell him that the damage deposit could be paid 6 weeks before arrival.

As for more info about our villa, here s a link :
http://www.gites.eu/en/for-rent/aquitai ... ing/10559/

Rgds
IS
windrush

Post by windrush »

We've had Canadian guests reporting difficulties with bank transfers. We always give non-UK guests the option of paying by bank draft or money order, they often go for this as the charges are usually considerably lower.
Isy

Post by Isy »

Hi Windrush,
Thanks for your reply. Can you please be more specific about "option of paying by bank draft or money order"? Which one is the most reliable? I ve used Western Union a couple of time but I am sure there is lots of differents ways. Which ones do you recommend?
Thanks in advance
Rgds
Isy
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

How about a currency exchange website? XE trade I've personally used or I remember reading about Currency fair is used by some members here.

You have to set up an account but once that's done the cost of sending money abroad is vastly cheaper than most banks.

Ther are several threads on the subject if you enter the search term "money and overseas" into the LMH search facility.

I booked a property in Florida, US but ended up having to pay in Euros as the owners were Dutch. I saved myself a lot of money using XE trade.
Isy

Post by Isy »

Thanks Nemo,
I m gonna look into XE trade then.
Isy
Isy

Post by Isy »

Hi Nemo,
Sniff!!! I can't register with Xe trade because "France" is not listed!
So if you have another suggestion, feel free to step in.In the meantime, I am reading all the threads about "money and overseas"
Thanks again
Rgds
Isy
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Oh sorry. Hopefully someone here from France can help. If you don't get an answer post something specific in the France section.
Isy

Post by Isy »

ok, it is my fault, I should had put my question in the category "France"
Thanks again
Isy
windrush

Post by windrush »

Isy wrote:Hi Windrush,
Thanks for your reply. Can you please be more specific about "option of paying by bank draft or money order"? Which one is the most reliable? I ve used Western Union a couple of time but I am sure there is lots of differents ways. Which ones do you recommend?
Thanks in advance
Rgds
Isy
Hi Isy

We usually take payment by cheque or bank transfer but some overseas guests have difficulties with transfers or find them extremely expensive so we also accept bank drafts or money orders. Having said that I've never actually received a money order but bank drafts are popular, they're like cheques but are issued directly by the customer's bank in the currency of your choice. Guests like them because they're cheaper than bank transfer, we like them because they're as good as cash really with no doubts over whether or not they'll clear.
Isy

Post by Isy »

Hi Windrush,
Thanks for your input.
Our canadian guest changed his mind yesterday and sent me an email saying that he would transfer the money by banks. So I don't have to worry about it anymore. But I keep in mind what you said about bank drafts, you ve never know, I might another request one day.
Thanks again
Isy