"We will be having a small party"?!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Musetta

"We will be having a small party"?!

Post by Musetta »

I applaud the honesty, BUT my T&C's clearly state that's a no no. *sigh* I am glad they told me - but they way they did has my feathers ruffled. after they confirmed they wanted to book, they sent me the T&C's and booking form by post, along with payment, but noted on the contract that they would be holding a "small" gathering one of the days to celebrate the husband's 60th birthday and they have invited 20 guests but not to worry because the caterer will make sure to clean up.

Part of me wants to just send them back the money and say thanks but no thanks - we do not allow parties. However it is a very off-season booking I would not get booked otherwise. Normally though, even if I did accept a party (and I wouldn't) I would ask for a substantial event fee I would guess.

OTOH, people HAVE done this in the past and not been upfront about it and I only found out when I saw extra cars and people in the house so, part of me likes that they, at least, told me about it.

What do you think?
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Since they mentioned it after they read the T&C's they now know that you don't allow parties but their conscience demanded they inform you of the fact... I too would be glad they "told" me but on the other hand they are not asking if it would be o.k. with you to make an exception for them. Two very different things, that would put me off also.

How would your house, furniture, and plumbing stand up to 20-30 people there?

That would be my biggest concern, my septic wouldn't be able to handle it, neither would I have enough indoor seating for people to be even remotely comfortable.

I will be interested in hearing how you make your decision and if you allow it how the party goes and then how your home fares with it.

Hard decision to make...
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

What does your insurance policy say about this? Not sure you'd be covered and if you're not, it may not be worth taking the risk.
Brooke
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

following various 'incidents' of wedding parties inviting other guests to visit for 'drinks' we have now said a definite no to anything that involves non-paying guests visiting. We are on site & there are often other guests not related to the party staying, so have a valid reason, but mentioned this to our insurance man who raised his hands in horror...'what if there is an accident on site', 'what if something happens to a visitor in the pool' etc etc - bottom line is we would not be covered. Also as we do not charge extra for water & electric use, we are now quite strict about not exceeding maximum occupancy + the point about the fosse is important. Other problem we encountered in our house which is the B&B side of the business is that various objects went 'walkabout' & some facilities were abused.....
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

If you think the house can stand it from a facilities point of view and the insurance is ok, I would be inclined to wear it but ask for more money and a bigger security deposit, explaining that if they had mentioned it in the first instance your quote would have been different.

At risk of sounding ageist, I would feel differently if it were a 21st or even a 40th!

If the house won't take it and/or the insurance is an issue then you have a perfect get out and I would return the money.

(on the other hand my 60th was quite a riotous affair but the sun was shining and it was outside!) :oops:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Martha

Post by Martha »

Hmmmm...

Is this in Italy or America? What issues do you have to worry about e.g. fosse? neighbours? insurance?

Do you have someone very reliable who can check up on any damage afterwards?

You're perfectly within your rights to turn them down, but if it's off season, a booking's always welcom........ at the very least I would take a much larger security deposit, and lay down some rules, asking them to sign a new agreement.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

This is in America - so I am just down the road and can keep an eye on things. I'm checking with my insurance co. because first things first - if they say no then there is no decision and I will tell the guests I would be happy to have them stay but they will have to hold the party elsewhere and I'll give them a list of appropriate spaces they could rent. Aside from obvious damage issues, I'm mainly concerned about annoying my wonderful neighbors with any noise or parking issues. (although, it is for Winter - which is good - less likely to be outside)