Holiday Lettings vs Owners Direct

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Armacao lover

Holiday Lettings vs Owners Direct

Post by Armacao lover »

I have noticed a few of the members advertise on Holiday Lettings & Owners Direct. After special offers on Holiday Leetings have expired the fees for the same listing will be £360 this includes listing on the dreaded TA. Without TA it will be £286. Special offer from Owners Direct will cost me £144. Unfortunately I can't afford both & with increased costs in portugal I'm not sure I can warrent the expenditure on Holiday lettings. The question is "How does Owners Direct compare".
I already have 4 weeks booked for next year & did get 2 weeks in 2011 & lots of enquiries from another company which cost me nothing this year & will be €90 next.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I was on both until very recently. The only reason I let OD go was because for a year at least I'm gradually dropping them all, as I'm already as booked as I want to be for next year and there's a strong possibility that this pattern will continue for the next couple of years.

That being said, most of my bookings come from HL, with a good proportion from OD. However it isn't always easy to tell which site is doing the best for you. Quite a few people trawl a number of different websites, and the one they book from may just be the last one they looked at. So it's quite possible that they see you on one, but don't book because they're going to try a few other sites, then see you on the second and book from there. But if they hadn't seen you again they may simply go back to where they earmarked you first time. I hope that makes sense.

TC
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We always did very well through OD - I felt genuinely sorry to leave them when we stopped renting.

They worked well for us for nearly 8 years.

(Can't speak for HL cos never tried them, but I much preferred OD to HR)

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Corfudeb

Post by Corfudeb »

We have had only 1 booking from HL in almost 2 years and only 6 enquiries, some of which were not genuine. OD has achieved over 60 enquires with approx 40% converting to bookings. We will probably drop HL next time round.
Hold on to your dreams!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I really liked the visual appeal of HL's site and they used photographs to advantage. Unfortunately, they never delivered the goods and so, reluctantly, we pulled the plug. In retrospect, given the nature of their link up with TA, we probably had a lucky escape. OD, by contrast, has always delivered (for six season now) and are nice people to do business with (again, in my experience).

But the bloke down the road with a similar property would probably have a different story ...

JIm
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

We've been with OD for 10 years or so, 95% of our UK bookings come from them, as Jimbo says nice people to do business with & touch wood for now, not a review site!!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bassman wrote:We've been with OD for 10 years or so, 95% of our UK bookings come from them, as Jimbo says nice people to do business with & touch wood for now, not a review site!!
Wait until next year...
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Wait until next year...
So what do you know that I don't :?: :wink:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Lesblancs wrote:
Wait until next year...
So what do you know that I don't :?: :wink:
They are introducing reviews next year - can't remember if they told me when I spoke to them about my ad or if it was a thread on here somewhere...Ros????
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

But if OD is part of the Homeaway.com family then maybe they will have all their reviews in the same pot. That's what happened to me with VRBO and HR. When I joined Homeaway.com all my VRBO reviews showed up automatically on my homeaway advert.
Their review system seems ok.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Thanks LV, I suppose it was inevitable. I must admit though I like OD just as it is now.

I am just finishing a very disappointing year with Holiday Rentals and I feel that Holiday Lettings is just not worth the risk.

I await OD's email.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I always did better with HL. That said, I recently dropped them (at a 6 month cost to me) due to an unfair review situation. Funnily enough though, before, H-R did nothing for me - after I dropped HL though, it has picked up significantly. I'm assuming the guests who would have booked through HL have found me on H-R instead.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

Musetta wrote:I always did better with HL. That said, I recently dropped them (at a 6 month cost to me) due to an unfair review situation. Funnily enough though, before, H-R did nothing for me - after I dropped HL though, it has picked up significantly. I'm assuming the guests who would have booked through HL have found me on H-R instead.
Which makes you wonder if it is really necessary to have all these listings in the first place. I just had someone enquire via 2 different listing sites without realising it was the same villa.....
He did book though.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Which makes you wonder if it is really necessary to have all these listings in the first place. I just had someone enquire via 2 different listing sites without realising it was the same villa.....
He did book though.
This is very true, and supports the point I was trying to make earlier.

TC
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I am going to do a proper assessment of mine in February, and drop down to only one major site.