Writing copy for your website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
e-richard

Writing copy for your website

Post by e-richard »

Just came across this little article that I thought was really cool and suggest you all read it.

Then read your own website and cringe - like I did :oops:

The 4 Keys to Writing Persuasive Copy Without Hype, BS, or Other Icky Gimmicks
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Windy

Post by Windy »

Oh no - do I have to rewrite EVERYTHING again then :cry:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Writing 'persuasive copy' is only a small part of a bigger problem that shouldn't be viewed in isolation. In the last ten years, we've pretty much kicked out the professionals. Off the shelf websites, all-dancing automatic cameras and way to the stars computers have taken over. Unfortunately, like a puzzled kid under the Xmas tree, the possession of shiny new toys doesn't necessarily means that we know how to use them. Owning the technology isn't the same as owning hard-won expertise. So we get stuck.

I'm reminded of this because I'm presently in the Pyreenees, shooting interiors for another LMH member's lovely gites. And, due to the construction of the buildings and the highly-directional winter sunshine, some of these shots are bloody difficult to pull off and skating along the edge of what the medium is capable of recording. I've not been stuck (yet!) but I've had to dredge increasingly deeply into my wine-addled brain for some answers.

The easy bit is having the technology. Then, in double-quick time, we have to become photographer, journalist, editor, copy writer, web site designer and more - and it's hard work! Looking is the key. Look at how tabloids marry photographs, headline and copy into compelling stories. Look at how other rental owners produce their sparkling and highly effective websites. Look at how skilled photographers strip away extraneous matter. Look at how short story writers make less into more ...

But, if you can do that, you'll own the rental world and all that's in it!

Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Interesting Richard, thanks.

I already knew my website was bad and now I know it's even worse than I thought!

Do you think you will try a re-write? My first thought is that it is very hard to write about a property when you just want to convey facts and not use more words than is necessary. I can see it might be easier to write this way about the area, things to do etc.

All round though a challenge indeed!
katiebythesea

Post by katiebythesea »

Hello Richard, Jim and Nemo :D

Am so glad to have you there doing the photos Jim - now need to get to grips with the text for the revamped web site. I can write, have a better than average grasp of grammar but still will find it a challenge to get it right.
I am hoping that the excellent pictures will inspire me :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Hello Katie Image

How fab to have your latest photos done by a pro with helpful (or not :wink: ) hints via Richard to help your website along. Let us know when the new photos/new prose are on and we'll come and admire. :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Great article to have found Richard. I agree, Jimbo, that great photos are equally important (let's forget about web design and organising the content at this point) and that the two are co-dependent. This is why we strive here to update our photos every time we learn something new; but writing conversational style copy to me is an even bigger challenge. Like you Richard, I'm seeing my website blurb in a whole new, and embarrassing light! :oops:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.
Writing forum posts is - for me - excellent training for writing website copy. Any post (which may contain a controversial viewpoint) is best if respectful, brief and engaging but has also (at times) to present a complex argument in a way that doesn't quickly render any readers unconscious. And I've always used analogy to unpick complicated topics. I dash off whatever's on my mind and then view it in the preview, where big chunks can be excised without losing impact. Much the same way that I write my web copy.

Shooting publicity pictures is a similar process. I use viewpoint, lighting and props (and, maybe, photoshop later) to highlight what is important and suppress what isn't. But it works best when photos (and copy) bypass rational logic and bury themselves in the viewer's emotions. That's when they reach for the phone ...

Jim
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks for sharing this Richard. It's an interesting read.

Another one to add to the list of things to learn about creating websites...
sammyboy

poor performing website

Post by sammyboy »

Hi All

I am in the position with my very poor performing website of whether to spend more money on it ( already spent several hundred pounds!) or scrap it completly and start again!, its not even giving me many hits( 5-6 a week) let alone any genuine enquires and no bookings, so would I be throwing good money after bad?
I would appreciate your views, thanks
gite-poitou-charentes.co.uk
Martha

Post by Martha »

A really good link and a timely reminder that some of my copy could use a refresher. Interesting points from Jimbo too, as always :)

Also, it's worth noting that adjusting your copy on a regular basis helps considerably with your Google rankings - as the page is seen to be updated, so Google knows that it is a regularly updated, well used site.

edit - sammyboy - you should perhaps start a new thread for your question, so we can stay on topic here :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
la vache!

Re: poor performing website

Post by la vache! »

sammyboy wrote:Hi All

I am in the position with my very poor performing website of whether to spend more money on it ( already spent several hundred pounds!) or scrap it completly and start again!, its not even giving me many hits( 5-6 a week) let alone any genuine enquires and no bookings, so would I be throwing good money after bad?
I would appreciate your views, thanks
Hi Sammy,
I agree, start a new thread. Do you have Webmaster tools so that you can analyse the key word data for people finding your website? I believe Google is interested in text at the moment and you don't seem to have much that would flag up 'gite Poitou Charente' in your homepage text at the moment. But maybe you should ask for a review (I am not an SEO expert!)
sammyboy

Post by sammyboy »

hi LV
Will do, posted here by mistake!!
gite-poitou-charentes.co.uk