Scanner problem...

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Charollaise

Scanner problem...

Post by Charollaise »

I'd be grateful for any techie whiz's there who could help me out please with any ideas?

Bought little Epson Stylus SX445W (to replace dead bigger one recently) and as printer and copier it works fine with my MacBook Pro, but scanning is an issue.

Scanner icon bounces in the Dock to suggest something's happening, then it disappears and eventually message comes up on the Epson to say <Communication error, Connect computer> It is connected via usb (wifi didn't want to work for any of it) which works perfectly well with the printer and copying facilities. I'm flummoxed... and would be grateful for any ideas. Not being able to scan/email is an issue....

:?
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Have you tried re-booting your Mac? Worth a try to start with.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
gam

Post by gam »

Could be that the required driver isn't being loaded (probably the TWAIN driver). That can give a communications error.

Did the scanner software install OK?
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

Tried that Kathy - thanks, nothing doing
Thanks gam - nothing out of the ordinary on installation...

:?
gam

Post by gam »

Did you install using Print & Fax rather than the Epson utility? If so it may have not installed the correct driver(s).

If your MacBook Pro can print OK then that's pointing towards a scanner driver issue I'd have thought.

Failing it being an installation/driver issue, could it be trying to connect via wireless (you said that wasn't working/set up)? Is there a scanner control panel setting for communication type? Clutching at straws, but it's a possibility I suppose.
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

thanks gam... installed just by the 'normal' process - the print/fax thing doesn't sound familiar and sorry - should have said - that it has scanned once or twice when I first installed it all - but you're right about it trying to connect via wifi (but only sometimes)

I'll have a ferret for a scanner control thingy... (that's the level of my tech know how...)

bloomin' technology...

:evil:
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

You can scan a couple of different ways - I know this because I've had a similar problem - worked and then didn't. If you look up scan in your search facility it'll give you a scan option. You might also have a sub setting of scan in your printer sub menus - scout around a bit and see if it helps at all.
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

thanks wallypott... that was certainly progress ... for a bit. Found it in the print/fax bit of system preferences... it did the preview to screen so I am looking at it now on the laptop - did that whirry whirry jig jig noise as it's scanning, then ... up came the Comm error message on the printer display again...

the message is obviously getting through one way... so not sure what to think... :?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Sell the mac and buy a PC instead??
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

you said that very quietly!!! :wink:

My TWO macs have worked perfectly with about five printers over the years...

Defensive....?? Moi???? Non! :lol:
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

Hi
You need to click on your apple logo top left on your computer
then go to system preferences
click on printer & fax logo
then click on scan
open scanner
scan and save
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

Hi
You need to click on your apple logo top left on your computer
then go to system preferences
click on printer & fax logo
then click on scan
open scanner
scan and save
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

Thanks Cotterdale... another sort of step forward... but...

got to the part where it offers options for <hide details> <overview> and <scan> so scanned.

Got messages onscreen on laptop that it was scanning, and - this time a first - on the printer display that it was scanning...

now can find nowhere to <save> ..... am trying to believe it's not me being totally thick/blind/whatever... mais quand même... :roll:

any ideas for another helping hand forward please????
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

It saves to: Scan to (pictures) maybe?
If you go into finder and have a look in pictures you should find your scan there.
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

Bless your heart - THANK you! God what a dimwit I can be sometimes! Although - technology does seem to elimiate steps that were there before - so ultimately much easier - when you know...

Anyone care to run a book on how many identical scans I now have to delete... :roll: :shock:

Right - back to productive work... thanks again X