Date formats

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
stork

Date formats

Post by stork »

Your thoughts on date formats?

On our website, we have a table (handcoded!) with our prices: http://casaflordesal.com/hoopoe_descrip ... ility.html

We used to have the date format DD MMM YYYY, but as the line broke in IE I have just changed it to DD MMM YY.

I have made exceptions for June and July and written all four letters - would you?

I have decided against DD/MM/YY as that might confuse some people - using letters also makes it a bit softer, I find.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

You could force your date to stay all on one line by using an html non-breaking space between the components of the date rather than a regular space.

The HTML code for a non-breaking space is

Code: Select all

So your date would look like this:

DD MMM YYYY
Another option might be to just leave the year off and separate the table into sections for each year, or just describe this as the rate table for 2012 at the top...
MyVRZone

Post by MyVRZone »

I do recommend that you keep the 4-digit year as I know that some people get confused by something like "12-Jul-11".

As an alternative to the " " method already suggested, you can do something that will not require changing the table text...

Set a style on the table element using inline css or a separate file to tell it not to wrap:

Put this in your page's HEAD section:

<style>
  table tr td &#123;white-space&#58; nowrap;&#125;
</style>
Cheers,
Neil
www.MyVRZone.com - Vacation Rental Management Software
www.emeraldislandorlando.com - Emerald Island Resort VR
www.windsorpalmsorlando.com - Windsor Palms Resort VR
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I don't see why you can't put the full year in... there looks to be plenty of space.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.