Great

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
JasmineEvs

Great

Post by JasmineEvs »

It is always so pleasant to receive something small when you leave. I remember my first visit to South France some years ago. The hotel was full of comfort and on our leave we receive a basket full of surprises- a bottle of wine and a dozen of fresh fruits. It was really a great surprise and we left that place happy and full of enthusiasm to return one day.
Normandie

Re: Great

Post by Normandie »

JasmineEvs wrote:...we left that place happy and full of enthusiasm to return one day.
But did you go back? :)

And did you recommend the hotel to lots of other friends who also visited?

And do you still remember the name of the hotel some years on?
JasmineEvs

Re: Great

Post by JasmineEvs »

Normandie wrote:
JasmineEvs wrote:...we left that place happy and full of enthusiasm to return one day.
But did you go back? :)

And did you recommend the hotel to lots of other friends who also visited?

And do you still remember the name of the hotel some years on?
Hi there, Normandie!
Unfortunatelly I do not remember the exact name of the hotel. I wish I did, though, because I'd love to spread the word around!
If we decide to make another trip to South France, I'll be sure to put some effort in locating the place again. :D
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Well, my very gentle point is that although the gift was well-received, you didn't go back, you didn't spread the word and you don't remember the name of the place. So while the gift gave you a warm and fuzzy feeling on departure, it didn't deliver more business to the property.

I think it's a nice thing to do for holiday property rentals but for b&bs / chambres d'hôtes, I'm not sure it is worth doing unless someone has stayed for 4 or 5 days. I prefer to have delivered my added values during someone's stay - home-made cakes and biscuits available at the hot drinks corner, starting an extra bottle of wine at supper when the guests have already had "their quota", offering a glass of locally distilled farmyard Calva* as an unadvertised digestif, running backwards and forwards holding an umbrella for them when they're loading their car in slashing rain, etc.

When we do give a gift on departure, it tends to be a jar of our own honey and that is always accepted very happily.

* though I'm never sure if that's a kind thing to do or not! :wink:
JasmineEvs

Post by JasmineEvs »

Hey, Normandie,

I haven't been to South France again, so that is why I didn't go back but even though I appreciated the gift. For me the purpose of the gift is to make the guest feel special and it really worked!

It is nice that you do such gestures for your clients, it is a good way to show your hospitality! I am sure they appreciate it,too!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Normandie wrote: you didn't spread the word and you don't remember the name of the place. So while the gift gave you a warm and fuzzy feeling on departure, it didn't deliver more business to the property.
Normandie makes valid points here Jasmine. Looking after guests while they are there is also very important, since if it happens on a regular basis, it reinforces the owners, the place (and its name) in the minds and memories of the guests.

I think most of us love to take care of our PGs to the best of our ability and get pleasure just from doing so - but there also has to be an additional benefit when one's in this line of work: that it engenders word of mouth referrals, and repeat bookings. :) Ours is a holiday rental and not a B&B, so like many other owners of rental properties we leave a welcome pack. They can enjoy it during their stay and each time they use what has been left for them they get their warm fuzzy feeling - it's not quite as effective as being on site and being able to hold an umbrella over them but it goes some way, it's to be hoped. I also build up a nice relationship by email with many of our guests, before, during and after their stay - we're lucky in that we get lovely people on the whole.

This might all sound a bit cynical to a holidaymaker, but as I said, most of us here really do love caring for our guests for its own sake, and engaging with them, however we are also here to earn a crust.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
JasmineEvs

Post by JasmineEvs »

Giddy Goat wrote: This might all sound a bit cynical to a holidaymaker, but as I said, most of us here really do love caring for our guests for its own sake, and engaging with them, however we are also here to earn a crust.
Ok, I agree with your statement. I am convinced that your clients appreciate your gestures and recommend your rentals.
But my family travels a lot to many different places and I can't remember all of the hotels names. For me, the most important thing is to have great time with my family at that place. After all, I am only a customer.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's helpful to get your input Jasmine; otoh, no way would I expect a guest to be able to see my point of view - they are the customer after all, as you've pointed out. However, since you are on an owners' forum, you'll probably get some good insights - more than perhaps you bargained for!

Do you own a rental property or are you thinking of doing so? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

JasmineEvs wrote:After all, I am only a customer.
Never ever "only" a customer, Jasmine. :) Customers are the reason we exist! But I do think you should consider judging a property mainly by how you are treated while you are staying there...

- the warmth of your welcome
- how "at home" you feel
- how "secure" you feel... the safety of you, your belongings, your car, etc while at the property
- how much help your hosts give you to make sure you are comfortable
- the quality of the rooms and facilities - good quality mattresses, bedding, towels etc
- cleanliness of all areas
- the quality and range of foods and drink you are offered
- the effort the hosts go to make sure you have all the local information you need

I happily jump through hoops making sure someone is getting everything they want during their stay (whether the stay is 12 hours or several days) - and that includes value for money but I don't, as I said, usually give gifts on departure.

I realise, Jasmine, that you are putting over the guest's point of view but to me as an owner, if a guest needs a gift on departure in order to feel special and cared for then it's too late and I've already failed in my efforts to make their stay memorable.

I hope that goes some way to explaining why I think a gift on departure isn't necessarily the best way to judge a good b&b - or other holiday rental. And also explains that if you don't get a gift on departure, it doesn't mean that the owner doesn't care! :wink:
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

From a guests point of view.

I used to stay in a village in Alsace every summer - same village, but we tried different gites and settled on one that was best for the kids and OK for us - except our bedroom was practically in the church bell tower - the beauty of ear-plugs. However, as our gite owner also had a vineyard, one of 15 in the village, but didn't leave us a bottle of wine, we always did our wine shopping (for the whole year) at one of the others. So while the gifts are appreciated you don't go back to a place because of them. If she had given a bottle of wine though and we had then only drunk her white wine all year, we'd have given considerable publicity to her "real" business.
Anno

Post by Anno »

That's interesting Wallypott, I think we would probably have gone the other way and bought wine from the gite owner's vineyard (although not a whole year's worth), so we could say it was from the people we rented from. Unless we didn't take to them of course.
We never used to expect goodies at gites but on the whole the French places we stayed in were definitely less upmarket than much of what I see on LMH... and the sort of place we're thinking of booking now we're getting older! 2012 will only be the second year we haven't had to take our own sheets on holiday! And I must admit it frees up room in the car...

Personally, and I know we're all different, I wouldn't mind not having "pressies", I'd rather the home was really nice and everything worked. But if there are going to be goodies, then I have no objection :D but I'd rather have them on arrival than on departure, so I could enjoy them while we're there.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

wallypott wrote: However, as our gite owner also had a vineyard, one of 15 in the village, but didn't leave us a bottle of wine, we always did our wine shopping (for the whole year) at one of the others. So while the gifts are appreciated you don't go back to a place because of them. If she had given a bottle of wine though and we had then only drunk her white wine all year, we'd have given considerable publicity to her "real" business.
Can't believe anyone would miss out on such an obvious piece of PR - unless of course the wine was c**p :shock: :shock: :shock:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I agree - it was completely astonishing. When we stayed in other gites they always left us some wine, and possibly the local version of stollen too. We always bought from those that left us wine, but now I regularly order from the same guy, because he was generous and charming to the kids - he gave us a free bottle of home made grape cordiale for the kids - and he now has my life long fidelity. And his wine is fantastic, so its a winner all round. He even delivers it to Normandy for free - not exactly next door. Sorry total TC.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Giddy Goat wrote:
Do you own a rental property or are you thinking of doing so? :)
Hi Jasmine! I was thinking the same as GG. Do you own a rental property?
Its useful when reading peoples posts to know their position. :)